The Last Samurai...awesome!

Completely off-topic.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Ok, not to take away from the intellectualisms that have taken over this forum as of late, but I just thought I would comment on this movie.

I just got back from seeing it, and it was better than I expected.

The story was great, the characters very believeable and sympathetic, and the battles extraordinary.

And I know that some of you are hard-headed enough that when you see it (and you know you will) you'll pick it apart like hyenas on the Serengeti (if nothing else you'll make some lame comment about Tom Cruise being a pansy). But I just don't care. I got my money's worth. It's a movie that is moving on many levels, and is a tribute to a lost culture.

I give it an 11 out of 10. :D
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Yep. This movie kicked ass. I was highly impressed. The scene where the ninjas attacked the General during the play was a real gem. There was no part of it I didn't like.
Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

I've heard good things about it, but I'm withholding judgement. I've found the tastes here to be many and varied.

Oh, and thanks for already discounting any *constructive* criticism anyone might have. Christ, talk about open minded! I guess I could have said that "Some people would have gushed all over it even if the movie had been nothing but Tom Cruise taking a shit on his katana" :lol:
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Ah, BoC, I can always count on you to say something confrontational. :roll:

I was merely stating that I don't care what anyone else says about the movie (and my examples were paraphrased from actual comments posted on the last thread).

And by the way, you have a strange notion of what the term "constructive criticism" means. Why are you trying to give us "constructive criticism" about a movie/book/TV show/etc. that we didn't create? Isn't that something you give someone that you are trying to help improve something? How am I going to improve a movie I didn't make?

Sheesh. And get off the whole "closed-minded" thing. You're wearing it out.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Gotetsu"]Ah, BoC, I can always count on you to say something confrontational. :roll:

I was merely stating that I don't care what anyone else says about the movie (and my examples were paraphrased from actual comments posted on the last thread).

And by the way, you have a strange notion of what the term "constructive criticism" means. Why are you trying to give us "constructive criticism" about a movie/book/TV show/etc. that we didn't create? Isn't that something you give someone that you are trying to help improve something? How am I going to improve a movie I didn't make?

Sheesh. And get off the whole "closed-minded" thing. You're wearing it out.[/quote]

I'll get off the closed minded thing when you stop wearing it. Try a new fashion? Passive agressive does certainly seem to be your color of choice.

Constructive Criticism. Look it up. I won't be your dictionary for you. Really, I don't think you need to defend Tom Cruise. Though I'm sure you can find some way to fling some backhand insult at his detractors. That's what being passive-agressive is all about.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

You know, there's a difference between being "closed minded" and just not wanting to hear people nitpick and insult a movie just because of who is in it. Especially when they haven't even seen it.

My comments weren't directed at anyone in specific, just the general feeling that was expressed on the last thread. And they were said half in jest, because (as you have proven) nothing will stop those who wish to be armchair critics from voicing their views. But if you feel it necessary to defend the masses against me and my passive-aggressive villainy, so be it. I really couldn't care less.

My only comment is that this movie was wonderfully done. And if you want to bash it, or rather "withhold judgement" on it, just beacuse it happens to have an actor that you don't like (but never explain why), than I feel sorry for you because you are missing out on an extraordinary experience.

That being said, just to give everyone else an idea of how good it was, think about Braveheart, improve the battle scenes, and take out the overt sexual tension. Every character in this movie was developed quite well, no matter how little screen time they had. Every battle made sense, and served a purpose. It was bloody, but not gory. And, yes, Tom Cruise was very believable in this role. As was everyone else in the picture.

'Nuff said. :)
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Just out of curiosity (and with no intention of starting another arguement), I was just wondering what it is about Tom Cruise that people seem to hate? I mean, he's never really played a pansy character (with the exception of Eyes Wide Shut, which sucked all around). And I have enjoyed just about every movie he has made.

It's just interesting to me how this conception comes into being. My grandfather even swears he is gay. But I think that stems from the sting of finding out his childhood hero, Errol Flyyn was a pedofile. :shock:

Just curious. :)
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Duh... *stares at previous arguments, blink*

Dude, theres Ninja in the movie! 5 outta 5 then! I haven't even seen it, but theres ninja!

*is ninja*
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="smartmonkey"]Duh... *stares at previous arguments, blink*

Dude, theres Ninja in the movie! 5 outta 5 then! I haven't even seen it, but theres ninja!

*is ninja*[/quote]

Of course you don't see them. They're ninja!

Foxbat
Cunning Rogue

Post by Foxbat »

[quote="smartmonkey"]Duh... *stares at previous arguments, blink*

*is ninja*[/quote]

Yeah? But how is Tom Cruise in the scene where he dresses like Sailor Moon and sings? That will make or brake a movie.

Daniel

When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
BreakfastOfChampions

I think he punishes them, or some weird assed shit like that. In the name of the Moon.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I could just cry right now.

Daniel, I hope you aren't too attached to your FR character. :twisted:
Foxbat
Cunning Rogue

Post by Foxbat »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]I think he punishes them, or some weird assed shit like that. In the name of the Moon.[/quote]

I'm glad to see that the movie stayed historically accurate.

Daniel

When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Hey Gotetsu? Can I make my Monk of Ilmater a NINJA?

I wanna play a NINJA!
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="smartmonkey"]Hey Gotetsu? Can I make my Monk of Ilmater a NINJA?

I wanna play a NINJA![/quote]

I think we need ninja in Orpheus.

"Sure you can see the dead, but you completely missed noticing the ninja hiding behind the potted plant, who his now slicing out your kidneys."

"But I'm incorporeal!"

"Uh, they're ghost ninja! Yah!"

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

*raises hand* Ooh! ooh! I know why everyone hates Tom Cruise!!

It's because he's a Scientologist!!!
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="mordraine"]*raises hand* Ooh! ooh! I know why everyone hates Tom Cruise!!

[b][i]It's because he's a Scientologist!!![/i][/b][/quote]

Yes, but why do you hate *my* favorite movie star?

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I guess no one takes a question seriously on this board unless you phrase it "passive-aggressively" :shock:
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Gotetsu"]I guess no one takes a question seriously on this board unless you phrase it "passive-aggressively" :shock:[/quote]

Hey look! Its Gotetsu's Goat! :twisted:

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

really now, get with the program
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I think Tom's best movie was in TAPS...
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:20597818b6="Gotetsu"]I guess no one takes a question seriously on this board unless you phrase it "passive-aggressively" :shock:[/quote]

Hey look! Its Gotetsu's Goat! :twisted:[/quote:20597818b6]

Leave my goat alone you sick bastard! He never hurt anyone. :evil:

It's ok, Billy. I won't let those mean old, closed minded thugs hurt you...

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Gotetsu"][quote:cc9a581066="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:cc9a581066="Gotetsu"]I guess no one takes a question seriously on this board unless you phrase it "passive-aggressively" :shock:[/quote]

Hey look! Its Gotetsu's Goat! :twisted:[/quote:cc9a581066]

Leave my goat alone you sick bastard! He never hurt anyone. :evil:

It's ok, Billy. I won't let those mean old, closed minded thugs hurt you...[/quote:cc9a581066]

Yeah, but you sure let Tom get all scientologist passive agressive on it. Not sure anyone would want that goat! :P

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Seriously, Tom Cruise is not all bad. He's just one of those guys that's over-hyped, kinda like Tom Hanks or Ben Affleck. So, whenever I see a movie with him in it, my first thought is usually "Ah, the producers want a bankable star so they got Cruise. Don't matter if he fits the role or not."

Plus, for a while, he was playing exactly the same character in movie after movie. There was no range there. Granted, he's grown some in the past few years.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="mordraine"]Seriously, Tom Cruise is not all bad. He's just one of those guys that's over-hyped, kinda like Tom Hanks or Ben Affleck. So, whenever I see a movie with him in it, my first thought is usually "Ah, the producers want a bankable star so they got Cruise. Don't matter if he fits the role or not."[/quote]

Actually he IS the producer for most of his movies these days...

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Actually he IS the producer for most of his movies these days...[/quote]

Aha! So he falls prey to his own hype!!

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="mordraine"][quote:e12196c8c3="Gotetsu"]Actually he IS the producer for most of his movies these days...[/quote]

Aha! So he falls prey to his own hype!![/quote:e12196c8c3]

I think *thats* pretty obvious.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Actually, he has just reached the point where he can make the movies he wants too, and they don't have to be low-budget "indie" films (which I tend not too like, but that's just me). And of course he got to that point by playing what his fans expected him too. For an actor, that's just good business. :)
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Gotetsu"]Actually, he has just reached the point where he can make the movies he wants too, and they don't have to be low-budget "indie" films (which I tend not too like, but that's just me). And of course he got to that point by playing what his fans expected him too. For an actor, that's just good business. :)[/quote]

I have more respect for actors, that once they make enough money, are willing to experiment. "Oh Brother" was a total experiment for Clooney, and while I don't think he's that great an actor, the fact he was willing to go out on a limb, and do a movie that was a little smarter than, "Look! Sword, kill!"

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:9f5ad34688="Gotetsu"]Actually, he has just reached the point where he can make the movies he wants too, and they don't have to be low-budget "indie" films (which I tend not too like, but that's just me). And of course he got to that point by playing what his fans expected him too. For an actor, that's just good business. :)[/quote]

I have more respect for actors, that once they make enough money, are willing to experiment. "Oh Brother" was a total experiment for Clooney, and while I don't think he's that great an actor, the fact he was willing to go out on a limb, and do a movie that was a little smarter than, "Look! Sword, kill!"[/quote:9f5ad34688]

I agree. But trust me, The Last Samurai is NOT a "Look! Sword, kill!" movie. It's a very intelligent movie.

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Gotetsu"][quote:04e84a60b2="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:04e84a60b2="Gotetsu"]Actually, he has just reached the point where he can make the movies he wants too, and they don't have to be low-budget "indie" films (which I tend not too like, but that's just me). And of course he got to that point by playing what his fans expected him too. For an actor, that's just good business. :)[/quote]

I have more respect for actors, that once they make enough money, are willing to experiment. "Oh Brother" was a total experiment for Clooney, and while I don't think he's that great an actor, the fact he was willing to go out on a limb, and do a movie that was a little smarter than, "Look! Sword, kill!"[/quote:04e84a60b2]

I agree. But trust me, The Last Samurai is NOT a "Look! Sword, kill!" movie. It's a very intelligent movie.[/quote:04e84a60b2]

That's debatable. Nothing I've read screams intelligence. Nothing I've read screams stupid, either. I've read that its pretty, the characters are interesting, and the fights are cool. I've also read Tom took the role because he could have costars shorter than him. ;)

I prefer movies out of the 'shallow-end' of the think pool. A good hackfest and pretty scenery is fun. 'The Last Emperor' was pretty scenery and some pretty smart characterization. 'Ran' was soaked in history and characterization -- and pretty, and had cool fights. 'Shogun' was heavy with philosophy, cultural imbalance, and politcal intrigue'. And had good fights and lotsa blood (as much as TV would allow)

So I'm not sayng that this movie in question is necessarily non-intelligent, but so far no one has impressed me with the 'intelligence' of the film. There does seem to be some cultural dissonance, which helps, but considering that most of the crowd of reviews on various net sites seem to think 'cultural dissonance' comes from Tom Cruise with a katana, rather than some other weapon. Not exactly something that shouts out, 'look, this is an intelligent movie' to me.

So, I'll wait and see, and continue to read reviews. If something really zings me about it, I'll go see it. If not, I'll rent it.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Ok. I could go on and on about what makes it an intelligent movie. But I would have to tell you the whole movie. There's a lot of non-action stuff that happens. It's really a movie about self-discovery, remembering your roots, and redemption.

Plus, it has cool fights. ;)

And Ninjas! Don't forget those rascals! :D
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Gotetsu"]Ok. I could go on and on about what makes it an intelligent movie. But I would have to tell you the whole movie. There's a lot of non-action stuff that happens. It's really a movie about self-discovery, remembering your roots, and redemption.

Plus, it has cool fights. ]

Not to mention the sissy slap fights Tom gets into. I think you're just going to have to accept that its your opinion that its an intelligent movie. The whole self-discovery thing can be pretty stupid, if done wrong, and the other themes are not necessarily indicitive of intelligence.

Besides, you've already railed against, "intelligent" movies. At this point, I think I'd say, "I like a movie with pumpkin pie" and you'd say, "Its got pumpkin pie!!!"

Again, what the thinker thinks, the prover proves.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]Not to mention the sissy slap fights Tom gets into. I think you're just going to have to accept that its your opinion that its an intelligent movie. The whole self-discovery thing can be pretty stupid, if done wrong, and the other themes are not necessarily indicitive of intelligence.

Besides, you've already railed against, "intelligent" movies. At this point, I think I'd say, "I like a movie with pumpkin pie" and you'd say, "Its got pumpkin pie!!!"

Again, what the thinker thinks, the prover proves.[/quote]

I've railed against "intelligent" movies? When? I don't recall that. I know I have stated that I prefer a good action yarn, but "intelligent" movies are good too. I guess the use of the term "intelligent" when talking about movies is subjective. There are some really "stupid" dramas, and some "intelligent" action movies out there. It's all a matter of taste, I guess.

I think the problem here is, I'm convinced it's a good movie, and you're convinced it's not. The only advantage I have is I have actually seen it, and you are basing your opinion on what critics say, and your own pre-conceived notions, rather than your own experience.

Whatever. To each his own.

Edit: Just out of curiosity (again) what do YOU think makes a movie "intelligent?" Example?

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]I've heard good things about it, but I'm withholding judgement. I've found the tastes here to be many and varied.

Oh, and thanks for already discounting any *constructive* criticism anyone might have. Christ, talk about open minded! I guess I could have said that "Some people would have gushed all over it even if the movie had been nothing but Tom Cruise taking a shit on his katana" :lol:[/quote]

Dude, kind of hard to judge a flick you haven't seen.You have a preconceived opionion of the movie. Contempt prior to investigation.

So I'll say that I had the same preconceptions. But the movie really was good. The only rough spot was the beginning,Sailor Cruise doesn't play a convincing drunk. From that point on the story took over, the costars were excellent. Cruise fell into character. And beleive me, I didn't want ot like Cruise's performance. But it shaped up quite a bit. The movie had a real epic kind of feel. The end of the movie really got to me .I was choked up. Very powerful. Go see it, BoC.. You won't be disapointed.

Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Gotetsu"][quote:effc5fdf6b="BreakfastOfChampions"]Not to mention the sissy slap fights Tom gets into. I think you're just going to have to accept that its your opinion that its an intelligent movie. The whole self-discovery thing can be pretty stupid, if done wrong, and the other themes are not necessarily indicitive of intelligence.

Again, what the thinker thinks, the prover proves.[/quote]

I've railed against "intelligent" movies? When? I don't recall that. I know I have stated that I prefer a good action yarn, but "intelligent" movies are good too. I guess the use of the term "intelligent" when talking about movies is subjective. There are some really "stupid" dramas, and some "intelligent" action movies out there. It's all a matter of taste, I guess.

I think the problem here is, I'm convinced it's a good movie, and you're convinced it's not. The only advantage I have is I have actually seen it, and you are basing your opinion on what critics say, and your own pre-conceived notions, rather than your own experience.

Whatever. To each his own.

Edit: Just out of curiosity (again) what do YOU think makes a movie "intelligent?" Example?[/quote:effc5fdf6b]

Actually, You're convinced its a good movie. I'm convinced you're not going to convince me its good. I have to determine that for myself. I notice a pattern of polarizing arguments, which I must say I find amusing. Thanks for making the nice strawman. :P

Pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie makes a movie intelligent.

I think I gave examples of movies I considered to challenge my intelligence. Let me throw out a few more, since to me, intelligence is a movie is not some sort of checklist, its more of a cognative 'ah' that comes out of an interesting story of situation, character, and message that the film contains. I also believe that the more gentle the message the more interesting.

Pi. Very smart movie in my opinion, since it tested the waters between humanity and godhood.

Fight Club: Pretty smart, but not as smart as it thought it was. Examined violence *in* culture *and* violence *as a* culture. Among other themes.

Sixth Sense: Forced me to search for clues in the second viewing.

Being John Malkovich: Why? Not sure. Just sat well with me and let me muse over it.

Apocolypse Now: Why? because it was enjoyable on many, many levels, and inspired me to 1) Read the the Book and 2) Write an adventure on the thematic elements within the book. The themes explored are far, far too numerous to scribe here. Lots of people have discected it better, in my opinion.

So there you go. Not exactly drewling fanboy movies.

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"][quote:80c824a233="BreakfastOfChampions"]I've heard good things about it, but I'm withholding judgement. I've found the tastes here to be many and varied.

Oh, and thanks for already discounting any *constructive* criticism anyone might have. Christ, talk about open minded! I guess I could have said that "Some people would have gushed all over it even if the movie had been nothing but Tom Cruise taking a shit on his katana" :lol:[/quote]

Dude, kind of hard to judge a flick you haven't seen.[/quote:80c824a233]

I don't think I'm judging the flick here. I'm judging the judgements implied in the post. Perhaps I wasn't clear on the difference?

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]
Dude, kind of hard to judge a flick you haven't seen.You have a preconceived opionion of the movie. Contempt prior to investigation.[/quote]

[url]http://rpg-sandiego.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=347&start=0[/url]

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]
Apocolypse Now: Why? because it was enjoyable on many, many levels, and inspired me to 1) Read the the Book
[/quote]

Are talking about the book "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad or a book actually entitled "Apocolypse Now???"

Either way, good selection of intelligent movies. :D

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:8fe0cd5374="Lowly Uhlan"]

Dude, kind of hard to judge a flick you haven't seen.You have a preconceived opionion of the movie. Contempt prior to investigation.[/quote]

[url]http://rpg-sandiego.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=347&start=0[/url][/quote:8fe0cd5374]

Yeah, but he recanted himself. Its all good.

See, what I find funny is the polarization of the discussion means that everyone assumes I *don't* like the movie. I have doubts to be sure, but if I've said, "It sucks" then I mistyped and should have said, "I think it will suck!"

I think this is boiling down to a rampant, "I love this movie and there's no way anyone can have a different opinion."

Now *that* I think might be debatable.

That, and whether Tom Cruise is a pansy. :lol:

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:e5fc51986b="BreakfastOfChampions"]

Apocolypse Now: Why? because it was enjoyable on many, many levels, and inspired me to 1) Read the the Book
[/quote]

Are talking about the book "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad or a book actually entitled "Apocolypse Now???"

Either way, good selection of intelligent movies. :D[/quote:e5fc51986b]

My bad. "Heart of Darkness" I actually did the adventure in Star Wars d20. It had mixed moments, and the group never really knew that was what was going on.

However, the prob with that was the group didn't have characters that could make that kind of journey. The players weren't up to it either. No prob, it still had cool fights :wink:

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

No, no it's not the scientologist thing. If it were the scientologist thing, I'd be scared of him like I'm scared of John Travolta's teeth.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Just so we can have common points of reference:

Pi. Never heard of it.
Fight Club: Hated it. It tried to do too much with not enough. I just couldn't get into it.
Sixth Sense: Ok, I agree on this one. Although it was ruined for me because someone told me the ending before I saw it.
Being John Malkovich: Why? My question exactly. This was a very bizarre movie that was mildly amusing, but in no way "intelligent."
Apocolypse Now: I haven't seen this in years, but I do remember liking it. Not sure if I would classify it as "intelligent" though...should probably see it again.

Now, you said something about "drewling fanboy movies." First of all, how does one "drewl"? ;)

And why does anything that has a big budget, high profile actors and special effects have to be a "fanboy" movie? Why the need to put a pseudo-derogitory label on them? I guess I'm a "drewling fanboy" because I like those movies. They are entertaining, sometimes enlightening, and usually a great way to escape.

That being said, I do enjoy more cerebral movies like:

American Beauty: Great illustration of the extemes in psychosis available in your local neighborhood.
Silence of the Lambs: Scariest movie I ever saw. But not in a hack-n-slash way. The interaction between the characters makes this an instant classic.
A Bridge Too Far: Best damn WWII film ever made (I may be slightly biased being an ex-paratrooper myself).
The Green Mile: King Classic
The Shawshank Redemption: Another King classic. This one had me guessing the whole time.

Ok, so I don't have as many. What can I say? I'm a card-carrying meathead. :)
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Let's face it this whole discussion isn't about Tom Cruise....

It's about Gotetsu's opinion and whether we should go see a movie based upon it. Now if this was started by Lowly Uhlan we would probably say wow let's go see it or at least momentarily pause in reflection before going on with our sailorcruise jokes but secretly watch it when it comes on DVD.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

True. No one likes me anyways on this board. I figured that out already.
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Gotetsu"]Just so we can have common points of reference:

Pi. Never heard of it.
Fight Club: Hated it. It tried to do too much with not enough. I just couldn't get into it.
Sixth Sense: Ok, I agree on this one. Although it was ruined for me because someone told me the ending before I saw it.
Being John Malkovich: Why? My question exactly. This was a very bizarre movie that was mildly amusing, but in no way "intelligent."
Apocolypse Now: I haven't seen this in years, but I do remember liking it. Not sure if I would classify it as "intelligent" though...should probably see it again.

Now, you said something about "drewling fanboy movies." First of all, how does one "drewl"? ]

Well, I gave a list of movies I considered intelligent. You immediately say one isn't. Notice the difference. One is 'I consider' the other is statement. Must be nice to be so certain that you can state the 'fact' of whether a movie is intelligent or not.

And, that, is what will probably put your opinions, which you rant off as facts, in the 'drewling fanboy' bucket. Again, my opinion. See, I can state my opinions, you need to state what *is*.

Which is probably why you have such issues with my opinions. :P
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I'm sorry. I forgot to put the disclaimer at the bottom of my posts:

"The preceding post is purely the opinion of the author, and in no way reflects the reality of the universe."

I guess I assumed that everyone was able to understand that anything written here is an opinion, since there can be no "fact" about whether something is good or bad. :roll:
BreakfastOfChampions

That would be part of the fanboy mystique, now wouldn't it? Or perhaps you should just post every reactionary feeling you have, with a bunch of implicit disclaimers?

Been on the internet long?
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Oh, lord. :roll:

Why do you feel it necessary to start every "reactionary" post with an insult?

And what does my time on the Internet have to do with anything?

I guess I'd rather be a "fanboy" than snide, rude, condescending prick.
BreakfastOfChampions

Hey, you wanted to throw out the argument that no one could disagree with your assessment of a movie. I called you on it.

Oh Lord indeed.