Protection Mods

Alternating GM troupe
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

The current ruling in M&M is that if Protection > damage, the attack is ignored.

This means someone with a force shield 3 can ignore small arms fire, and doesn't make a damage save. (assuming Damage 3 pistol)

There is the *optional* rule that protection only allows an attack to be ignored completely if the Protection +5 > Damage.

This means that the same pistol would require the person to make a damage save vs DC 15, but someone with a Force Shield +8 could ignore small arms fire.

Or, should we split the difference, and make it Protection +3?

I could also see where bashing damage gets full protection, and lethal damage gets damage within that theshold of 5 turned into stunning damage. Hmmm I think I like this. Let me clarify.

Joe is one of the Affected. His skin is toughened. He has the equivalent of +3 protection.

[list:6573731b78]
[*:6573731b78] Joe is bashed with a club for +3 stunning Damage. Joe ignores the damage, since the level of protection >= the stunning damage.
[*:6573731b78] Joe is shot with a pistol. His protection is 3, the damage of the pistol is three. Joe still makes a damage save, but the damage is stunning, not lethal. The DC is 15
[*:6573731b78] Joe brutally pummeled by Tony, who has the talent of super strength. Tony has a damage bonus is +5. Joe makes a Stun Damage Save at DC 17
[*:6573731b78] Joe is shot at by a sniper with a +5 lethal damage rifle. Joe Makes a lethal damage Save at DC 17
[/list:u:6573731b78]

Joe then reaches PL 10. His super skin now provides 10 points of protection.
[list:6573731b78]
[*:6573731b78] Joe laughs off the club in the above example. No difference there.
[*:6573731b78] Joe now laughs off the pistol, since his protection is more than 5 higher than the pistols damage.
[*:6573731b78] Tony, for some reason is still PL 5, and Joe barely notices him.
[*:6573731b78] Joe would laugh off the sniper rifle, but lets say they were using a Damage 6 machine gun. Joe would have to shrug off a DC 16 stunning attack.
[/list:u:6573731b78]

Thoughts?
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

I wwould say go with the current ruling.Protection>Damage, attack is ignored.
Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."