Exalted: Odyssey

Alternating GM troupe
cczernia

Exalted: Odyssey

Post by cczernia »

Ok, so I've been thinking a little more about the Exalted game and I realized had an idea for a more ideal structure of the game. Basically, and Exalted game based off the Odyssey.

The campaign would be run in three parts each running around 6 adventures each.

Part 1: War - A group of Dragonblooded are sent to the edge of creation to fight a battle against some evil menace (Deathlord, Solar, Godling etc) and it's army.

Part 2: Return - After the battle the group must return home but can't go the same way they arrived (airships destroyed in battle, one way teleport etc). On their quest home the PCs encounter all kinds of weirdness and loose most of their troops who survived the battle.

Part 3: Home - Upon returning to the Imperial City the players discover things are not the way they left them. Othe Dragon Blooded have replaced and screwed up things and the players must reestablish themselves.

These are just ideas but I think it would make for a fun Exalted game and give us a chance to really explore the setting (and mechanics if we want). Also, I wouldn't plan on GMing each part.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

this sounds like fun. i just don't know yet that i'd be able to make it every sesh (3 parts X 6 episodes each = long-term commitment). if that's not a problem, then count me in.
Sven
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Sven »

I really like this idea. Does this have to be exalted? My one concern is that the crunchiness of exalted may start to be a problem (on the other hand we may get it under control). This is a MINOR concern I'm all for this idea as it stands.

-Sven
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote]this sounds like fun. i just don't know yet that i'd be able to make it every sesh (3 parts X 6 episodes each = long-term commitment). if that's not a problem, then count me in.[/quote]

Agreed. We could do two things to break it up.

1. Actually break it and run other games between each Part.

2. Switch GMs and give players the option to change characters between Parts (I thought it would be cool if a character disappears for awhile only to appear later on).

[quote]I really like this idea. Does this have to be exalted? My one concern is that the crunchiness of exalted may start to be a problem (on the other hand we may get it under control). This is a MINOR concern I'm all for this idea as it stands.[/quote]

Really the concept could be used for any fantasy game but at the time I was asking myself what style of adventure would work well for Exalted (since my current model wasn't working that well) and this is what I came up with.

Also, Exalted has three major conflict system. Personal combat, social combat, and large scale combat. Personal combat would be used in all three while War would be used in Part 1 and social would be used in Part 3.

Another option would be to run Exalted using another system. I always thought Unisystem would make a good conversion.

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup