Oh lookie! The "I'm being oppressed" card...

Nuke an unborn gay whale... for Jesus!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Shin Kenshiro"]Jon...I don't understand what you're saying in the slightest. It's not a matter of a 92 year old woman being a threat.[/quote]

I can see that.. and I might not be my point explaining it well. What I was more getting at is it might not have been simply this crazy, criminal, 92 year old, bat decided to put some caps in those police officers to hide her drug dealing. Considering at one point the article states different points of where the shots start. I got the impression that it says they started on the street, but I also got the impression that it started once they kicked down the door. I could have misread it. It could could have been a very bizarre case of mistaken identity where the old lady thought they were robbers and not police for some reason (after all, it is most likely a rough neighborhood). The other possibility is she saw people moving through her yard and though they were a threat to her. These guys were plain clothes so that is a possibility. She might not have hear then announce themselves... she is old or might have just been freaking out.

If she was just shooting at the cops, then the cops have to defend themselves. I am not saying cops should just take a few rounds. That is crazy. What I am saying is she might not have been the criminal mastermind the cops are trying to make her out to be. I don't remember them finding any drugs in the house. Evidence still matters. Rarely is anything this odd that clear cut. To be honest, I don't know. It simply could have been a series of screw-ups on both sides that resulted in the death of an innocent person.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Let's not overlook this one. I'm sure these cops were completely justified in riddling the whole neighborhood with bullets (and somehow still managing to miss /most/ of the people in the car). I could understand making a 15 round mistake, a clip empties pretty fast, but the second magazine really /does/ make me wonder. And in case my tone isn't abundantly clear, I ask everyone to momentarily pretend that this is one of Devlin's posts.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/27/nyc.sh ... index.html
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

We got on a huge debate about the 92 year old who was shot by the cops. Looks like they admitted to planting the drugs and are pleading manslaughter.

Cops Admit To Planting Marijuana on 92 Year Old Woman Killed in Botched Drug Raid
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Yeah i saw that on the news

That is some crazy....geez. I don't think a simple apology is going to work here
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Skyman"]Yeah i saw that on the news

That is some crazy....geez. I don't think a simple apology is going to work here[/quote]

Yeah... lock those fuckers up is all I gotta say.

Shin Kenshiro
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by Shin Kenshiro »

[quote="Count Zero"]We got on a huge debate about the 92 year old who was shot by the cops. Looks like they admitted to planting the drugs and are pleading manslaughter.

[url=http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/04/29/cops-admit-to-planting-marijuana-on-92-year-old-woman-killed-in-botched-drug-raid/]Cops Admit To Planting Marijuana on 92 Year Old Woman Killed in Botched Drug Raid[/url][/quote]

Wow....that's royally fucked up there. I support cops, but the instant they cross the line I feel they should be prosecuted harsher than anyone else short of politicians. Planting drugs on a 92 year old woman that you shot because you screwed up? That's beyond low.

To know me is to fear me, to fear me is to be human
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I'm more sad about the upstanding citizen being killed. What they did just insults my sense of sadness about the whole tragedy.:smash:
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="Shin Kenshiro"]Wow....that's royally fucked up there. I support cops, but the instant they cross the line I feel they should be prosecuted harsher than anyone else short of politicians. Planting drugs on a 92 year old woman that you shot because you screwed up? That's beyond low.[/quote]

They're just people, like everybody else. Some good, some bad. What they've done is bad enough that we don't have to hold them to a higher standard in this case - the bar's already so low that it's amazing. I think these people made some bad decisions, and then followed up by making some worse decisions. If they hadn't been in the position of serving the no-knock warrant to begin with, there might be a lot of lives left untouched by tragedy.

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Scaramanga
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Scaramanga »

[quote="Neuro"]They're just people, like everybody else. Some good, some bad. What they've done is bad enough that we don't have to hold them to a higher standard in this case - the bar's already so low that it's amazing. I think these people made some bad decisions, and then followed up by making some worse decisions. If they hadn't been in the position of serving the no-knock warrant to begin with, there might be a lot of lives left untouched by tragedy.[/quote]
Sorry for jumping right in here (and resurrecting this,) but I have to strongly agree with Neuro here. Cops are just people, and there are asshole cops and there are really decent, nice cops.

That being said, I'm fairly certain the UCLA cops in the original example were being pretty excessive. I know for a fact that police are fairly well trained in restraint and pacification techniques that are far less agressive than tasering. And while, as smartmonkey pointed out, cops are generally allowed to use stronger force, I can't imagine this situation really warranted it.

Oh, and for the record, UCLA has it's own police department, completely seperate from LAPD or LACSD. Maybe they need to review their hiring practices and training guidelines?