Action Points

Morning after pill support group
mordraine

Action Points

Post by mordraine »

Okay, so we've talked about two different systems for Action Points. Here are the two:

From Eberron -
PCs get 6 action points per level. They reset every level, so you never have more than 6. Using an action point adds 1d6 to any d20 roll (this is from memory, correct me if I'm wrong).

From D20 Modern -
PCs get 5 + level/2 (rounded down) every level. They don't reset every level, so if you want you can save 'em up. Using an action point adds 1d6 to any d20 roll.

On both, at 8th-14th levels you get to roll 2d6 and take the best. At 15th+ you get to roll 3d6 and take the best

Which one do you guys like better?
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

d20 modern

[quote="mordraine"]
Which one do you guys like better?[/quote]

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

yeah ditto. thanks for giving the option.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm all about the player empowerment. Except when it comes to minotaurs vs. ogre mages.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]minotaurs vs. ogre mages.[/quote]

Really, is their a difference? :twisted:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="cczernia"]Really, is their a difference? :twisted:[/quote]
hehe...

I say the D20 Modern option also. I like it better.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="cczernia"]Really, is their a difference? :twisted:[/quote]yes, about 25 hp. i mean, am i right? am i right?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Interesting side note: there are currently two or three really heated threads over on RPGnet about player empowerment. I've been somewhat following them and seeing various opinions. I come from (obviously) a trad RPG background, so player empowerment is still somewhat new to me. But for me anyway, that just means more thinking on my feet rather than having everything planned out, especially when it comes to D&D, which lends itself to a more trad style of play. We're lucky because the Ptolus book is so hyper-linked that it takes mere moments to look something up.

In the specific case of the minotaur vs. the ogre mage, I would've normally just let it go and said "yeah sure, it's a minotaur," but I also want to keep internal consistency in the game world, and there's the possibility that either one or the other NPC will come up in the future.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]We're lucky because the Ptolus book is so hyper-linked that it takes mere moments to look something up.[/quote]

Unless it is dealing with weapons guild :P

So, according the rules we should have 11 action points minus any we have used.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup