Episode 1: The Return

A play by post game run and moderated by BlanchPrez
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

OOC - I was wondering if our generous GM could give a quick summary of what we've discovered so far... I'm unsure what Sslarr's next move should be.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mordraine"]OOC - I was wondering if our generous GM could give a quick summary of what we've discovered so far... I'm unsure what Sslarr's next move should be.[/quote]

Sure. Lts Korff and Komar have discovered the remains of a transporter signal around the communication equipment. The signal does not match either standard Federation or Gorn signals.

Lt Komar also retreived the full record of the last broadcast of the scientests, which he has transfered to the Challenger. It can there be cleaned up and reviewed.

The good Doctor and Lt. Dixon discovered a journal that talks about the artifact in detail, and includes a readout of the energy signal found within the device.

As of now, that's everything that's been found.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

"Ok, sounds like we have some good data, but we need to sort some of it out and find some answers. As far as I am concerned, we should treat this as a rescue mission unless something changes."

Wraith gives a supportive nod to the mayor as he finishes the last bit, then goes on:

"I think, as time may still be imperitive, that we should have Komar, Dra, and Korff return to the ship(s) and see if we can get any more information or do scans from there. The rest of us can stay here and search for any more mundane signs we can find. Doctor - you can return to the ship or stay here, wherever you feel more useful.

What do you think, Captian Sslarr? Does this suit you? Everyone else - anything to add?"
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

"Well, Captain, I would prefer to stay on planet. When we find our scientists, they may be in need of medical assistance. Is there someplace specific that you would like me to search?"
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[BlanchPrez - so we're at the camp for the archeologists - is this situated actually on the dig site, or is there a dig site nearby that we can look at? Any other interesting features?]
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"][BlanchPrez - so we're at the camp for the archeologists - is this situated actually on the dig site, or is there a dig site nearby that we can look at? Any other interesting features?][/quote]

The camp itself is set in a small, almost circular shapped flat hill that overlooks the dig site itself. One side is covered in trees, making it pretty relaxing, and the camp itself is a riot of tents and personell gear. The dig site is on the other side of the hill, a series of small, grassy hills that the team has started digging up. So far, only two hills have been dug into heavily, with others only having light work or marked for future investigation. Under the hills are the remains of small one or two story buildings, and the two main hills have the various artifacts piled in groups by type and age of the artifact.

The hills are also riddled with caves, which the archeological team belived would lead to more of the city these buildings were a part of. Geological research on the area suggests that there was a large earthquake that caused the majority of the city to sink, eventually being covered by rock and stone and forming the hills.

Chris

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[Ok, I'm already confused about some characters' roles, but that's probably due to my not being able to concentrate much on this. That being said, the following is directed at whoever is the "science officer" of the Challenger.]

"Is there any way we can get a topographical map of the area, say in a five mile radius? I'd like to see if there is any correllation between the hills and a possible 'city map' that can be extrapolated. That might give us a rough area to concentrate search efforts in."
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Doc waits patiently for the Captain's orders...unless an interesting bio-object presents itself that cries out for futher study (and, no, I am not referring to the local females from the town....unless, of course, some real beauties show up that want to play doctor...)
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

"Dra, Korff, are you ready to beam back? I'd like to get started with this data."
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

"Komar, wait just a minute for me to bid the mayer good bye and give him our thanks." She turns to the mayer and gives the expected custom of good bye and thanks. "We have hope mayer. Do not lose yours for your wife." She then gathers with Komar and waits for Korff before giving the command to beam up..."Challenger this is Commander Dra, three to beam up!"

Dra thinks to herself "Ok this is sounding like it has potential. Lets pray they were not disintergrated but only beamed out. The data should be a valuable source of information."
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Captain Sslarr nodded crisply to Wraith, then to Korff. "Beam up to the Sleestakk. Coordinate your efforts with Lt. Komar. In the meantime, I'll stay down here and investigate further."

He nodded again to the Federation captain, then stalked off out of the camp and towards the dig site proper, to have a look around.

[OOC - Sslarr will look for anything weird or unusual around the dig site.]
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Captain Wraith tells Dra to make sure and do a planet scan for any unusual energy signals (or have Komar do it if he is the one that would..) - "First thing I'd do if beamed somewhere unexpectedly is setup a beacon of sorts, so keep an eye out. They probably would only have tricorders to work with, so the signal would be weak if they tried something like that." He then watches his crewmembers and Korff beam to their respective ships, then nods to his fellow captain and accompanies Sslarr towards the dig site proper, motioning the remaining crew to follow, and Dixon to take point.

He tries to strike up a conversation with the seemingly gruff Sslarr as they walk..

"So Captain, maybe we should compare notes a bit. We only had a brief chance to speak on our respective journeys here..."

Wraith is being friendly, but trying not to bear his teeth too much, as that seems to upset the Gorn slightly. He's just chatting to pass the time, mostly. Maybe asking about the Gorn homeworld (is it like this planet, how's the weather, how long have you been a captain, that sort of thing.) He will cut the chatter if Sslarr doesn't seem talkative.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Dixon takes point.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Doc takes up position slightly behind the Captain. While not expecting anything he none-trhe-less takes periodic bio-readings of his surroundings. When not doing readings he will look around for anything that, to him, seems out of place.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Sslarr is not uncommunicative to Wraith. He is a bit on the curt side of things. His answers are short and to the point. But from what Wraith has probably read about Gorns, that's not unusual.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Commander Dra beams to the ship with Komar. "Take a look at the data, Komar. I'll do the planet scan that the captain ordered. I'll join you afterwards to see what you got." Dra goes to the bridge and executes the scan of the planet for any unusual energy readings. She will also scan the area around orbit.

Commander Dra thinks to herself "Obviously the captain thinks that the people were beamed away. It may imply we're not alone down there. This could get sticky for the ground folks...even worse there might be a ship in orbit that we cannot detect. Gah, I hope this doesn't hit the fan if there is...but then if it does I could show my mettle to starfleet and my parents that I'm more than just ordinary...just can't freeze like I did....oh I shouldn't think about that."
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

While following and looking at his tricorder, Doc trips on a pebble. Luckily, he stays upright.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

<<Okay, since we've split up the crew, I've decided to use a convention Mord uses (or started trying to) on PbP games, so we can keep track of where the action is.>>

USS Challenger
The Bridge

Commander Dra takes up the science station and begins performing a scan of the planet. After a few minutes of nothing, her scan discovers a slight energy emission near the dig site. Under it, to be precise. It's very faint, and the scan almost missed it, except she was concentrating specifically on that area. It's approximately 100 meters underground, in a large cave. Beaming there is not possible, due to some kind of interference. The cause of this interference is not known, and the scanners can't determine what it is either.

Further examination of the signal reveals that it is an open communicator. Communication itself is not possible due to the same interference stopping transportation, but the signal is readable with a tricorder now that she knows what she is looking for.

Meanwhile, Lt. Komar, in communication with Lt. Korff, reviews the recording. Komar notices that the end of the recording appears to have been damaged, almost as if some kind of electric pulse went off, interrupting the signal. With Korff's help, he restores another 5 seconds to the end of the recording, which, when viewed, shows the scientists disappearing in a bluish-green transporter wave. The wave was an area affect transporter, and this is what caused the damage to the recording.

Surface of Cestes III
The Dig Site

The dig site itself is pretty typical of archeological digs. Unless one has an interest in the mundania of an ancient civilization, it's pretty boring, kind of like looking at the remains of a 10,000 year old rummage sale. With the exception of the occasional insect, the area is pretty much devoid of animal life.

Chris
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

"Ah, Captain, did you know that this type of insect is called the Pirate Beetle? It was so named because..."
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Commander Dra finishes scan and meet up with Lt. Komar. Dra then opens communications with Captain Wraith and says "Commander Dra to the away team. Captain I picked up something on the scan that you ordered. It's approximately 100 meters underground, in a large cave. Beaming there is not possible, due to some kind of interference. The cause of this interference is not known, and the scanners can't determine what it is either. My further examination of the signal reveals that it is an open communicator. Communication itself is not possible due to the same interference stopping transportation. The signal is probably readable with a tri-corder, now that I know what I'm looking for...Lt. Komar what is your report up to this point?" She allows Lt. Komar to speak on the comm. Afterwards Dra gets back on the comm and asks "...what are your orders captain?"

Commander Dra thinks to herself "Bingo!"
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Wraith shares the news with the crew on the ground, The Mayor, and Captain Sslarr.

"What about it Mayor? Any idea where there may be a cave entrance or anything like that around here?"

He then waits for anything Komar may have to say over the comm as well.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Komar: "Captain, Korff and I have finished our examination of the recording, and we've confirmed that the science team was taken via an area effect transport. Are there any additional tests or scans you'd like us to perform up here?"
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

The Doc does his best to hide his excitement.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Replying to Komar:

"Stand by, I may need you to utilize the ship's sensors again. Be ready to beam back down soon though, as I intend to go after our missing personnel and I have a feeling I'll need you and Commander Dra with us.

Make sure to load any information you need into your tricorders in the meantime. Wraith out."

Wraith then waits to see if the Mayor can provide any clues to an underground entrance anywhere.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

((Sorry, guys, I've been really busy here at work what with the holliday upon us.))

The mayor looks slightly confused.

"I'm afraid I'm not that familier with this area. I know it's riddled with caves from the reports my wife gave me. She and several on her team speculated that there was a larger cave network under this city, possibly left over from the city itself, but I don't have specifics."

((The tricorders can act as a GPS to track the signal, just to let you know. Also, Capain Sslarr has Planetology as a science, he might know something about how cave systems work))

Chris
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Also, Capain Sslarr has Planetology as a science, he might know something about how cave systems work
[/quote]

*looks at charsheet*

I do?

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

"Ah, that's ok Mayor. We should be able to find some way in if that's the case and track via tricorder.

Dra, Komar - get a good lock on that signal and beam down with the information. Looks like we're going spelunking."

:)
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mordraine"]*looks at charsheet*

I do?[/quote]

Yes... *looks at character sheet* oh, shit... I made a mistake on the sheet... that Life Science should be Planetology.

Chris

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Commander Dra gets a good lock and then beams down with Komar when he's ready

Commander Dra thinks to herself "Into the white rabbit hole we go!"
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Yes... *looks at character sheet* oh, shit... I made a mistake on the sheet... that Life Science should be Planetology.
[/quote]

((*duly updated*))

Sslarr took in the new information regarding the possibility of the missing scientists being underground. He knew a little about how planets were formed, and so looked about for a likely source of entry. He knew there were several caves in the nearby cliffs and hills, but he was searching for one that would be more likely to start with. He took out his own tricorder device and took readings on the earth crust, checking each cave entrance he could see in the distance to see if he could determine tunnels underneath the surface that might lead to the area directly beneath them.

((hope that works... sounds sorta reasonable I guess...))

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

[quote="Skyman"]Commander Dra gets a good lock and then beams down with Komar when he's ready

Commander Dra thinks to herself "Into the white rabbit hole we go!"[/quote]

I am ready whenever you are Commander Dra.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Cthulhu"]I am ready whenever you are Commander Dra.[/quote]
Commander Dra winks at Komar and says "Into the breach we go Lt Komar...into the breach. Two to beam down!"

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

The Doc waits......
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Dixon is already at the site, having beamed down his small team of redshirts...er...security personel, and is coordinating their assignments.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

The Doc checks his own pulse and smiles a private smile...
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Between Captain Sslarr's knowledge and Commander Dra's tricorder, you are able to spot a likely cave formation not to far form the campsite. It's large, and initial scans look like it could lead far enough underground to hide from simple scans easily, and the energy signature that Dra noticed on the bridge is coming from that general direction. Could be what you're looking for.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Commander Dra says "Over there captain." Pointing at the bridge. "Scan indicates in the direction of that bridge. I think we should investigate. Orders sir?"

Commander Dra is thoughtless at this moment.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

"I say we proceed, but with caution. Dixon takes point, Korff in the rear and the rest in the middle. Is that acceptable to you Captain?"
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Sslarr nodded his head curtly. "Yes. Although, I will take lead with Dixon. I wish to be in front. Let us proceed."

At this, he turned and stalked with the rest of the party towards the cave, his long strides taking him quickly. Once or twice he had to slow his gait to allow the humans to catch up.

((OOC - also, I believe Korff has transported off-planet. He's up in the Sleestakk))
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Dixon readies his phaser, and joins Sslarr at the front. he glances at the big Gorn, and stands as tall as he can, and tries his best to casually match the captain's stride.

He is also wary of anything out of the ordinary, but feels that whatever trouble they will encounter, it will be below ground.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[forgot Korff had not come back.. sorry]

Wraith shrugs and heads after Dixon and Sslarr. He keeps his eyes open, and his hand resting on the butt of his phaser, just in case.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Doc, with a wide grin, follows directly behind the Captain. He practises his quick draw a few times, stopping when he drops his phaser. He quickly picks it up, replaces it at his side, and continues unabashed.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

The cave is open and large, but after walking inside just a few feet, it becomes very dark. Even though Sslarr's eyes adjust quicker than the humans, even he must turn on a light to see inside.

There are no signs in the cave of any activity here. There are three branch tunnels leading away from the main chamber, but only one leads down.

(You all have wrist mounted flash lights, even Sslarr, just to let you know where your light is coming from)

Chris
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Down, Captain?
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="opwunder"]Down, Captain?[/quote]
((OOC - Why did get a vision of an Aerosmith video when I read that? :lol: ))

Dixon looks to Wraith and Sslarr for direction.

"I assume we are going to try going down frist, Captains?"

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Commander Dra checks her tri-corder "Hold on! Let me get a reading before we venture further into the dark. Don't want any surprises if we can avoid it."
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Skyman"]Commander Dra checks her tri-corder "Hold on! Let me get a reading before we venture further into the dark. Don't want any surprises if we can avoid it."[/quote]

Alright, we've come to the first die roll of the game. Skyman, use that online die roller I provided, and give me a Computer Use roll.

Chris

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Doc hearing Dra thinks he should try and stop grinning and pay more attention. Doc stops smiling and thinking a scan for bio signatures sounded like a good idea, he hefts up his tricorder and takes a reading.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Sslarr stood by while the humans performed their scans. He slowly breathed out his nostrils and unconciously flicked his tongue a few times, a sign of impatience in the Gorn species.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Dra, you're readings come back a little vague. The interfearence you experienced on the bridge are here in force. However, there is a distenct energy signal coming from below, as well as that communicator signal.

Doc, your scan reveals nothing.

Chris