Chronicles of the Company of the Broken Die

The Fraternal University of Bright All-round Roleplayers
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Chronicles of the Company of the Broken Die

Post by BlanchPrez »

The Wizard’s Amulet

In the city of Reme, a young half-elf monk named Lucian was nearing the completion of his training. During the last days before his final test, his master took him to visit an old adventuring companion, a wizard named Feriblan the Mad. Lucian hated visiting Feriblan, because it meant that he had to deal with the wizard’s apprentice, Vortigern, and his loathsome raven familiar, Talon. Thankfully, on this particular trip, he managed to avoid Vortigern, and explored the library. While exploring, Lucian discovered a hidden compartment, inside of which was a letter and an amulet. The letter was from one Eralion, a compatriot of Feriblan, who was apparently attempting to become a lich. The letter went on to say that the amulet was for Feriblan, so that he could open the library in Eralion’s keep, near a town called Fairhill. Curiosity overtook him, and he kept these items.

A few days later, he completed his main training at the monastery, and was ready to begin the second part of his life as a monk. It was traditional for those of his order, upon completing training, to leave the monastery and wander the world, learning and adventuring, making friends with those of other walks of life. All of this was to further enlightenment; for his order believed that they could not eschew the world of they did not know it. He returned to Reme to talk to Feriblan, were he asked questions about Eralion and his transformation into a lich. The response he got was: “Eralion! A lich? He was no apprentice, my son, but neither was he a mage with the mastery of the eldritch powers necessary for such a dangerous undertaking! If you have heard such rumors, boy, I shall put them to rest. The magics required for such a transition were far beyond his grasp.” Leaving the old wizard, Lucian though he must visit Eralion’s tower, for if he could not become a lich, the tower must be unguarded, leaving all the items there. How interesting it would be to visit an abandoned wizard’s keep?

So, heading to the Starving Stirge, a local inn, he posted a notice asking for able-bodied adventurers to join him in seeking the wizard’s tower. Four answered the call, two sets of brothers. The first was a pair of gnomes, Gimble, a priest of Heironeous, and Dimble, an expert archer and woodsman. The second pair were dwarves, Rurik, a paladin of Heironeous, and long time friend of Gimble, and his brother Ulfgar, a somewhat rough warrior with anger issues. The five agreed to form an adventuring company, and Dimble was especially excited to leave. Apparently, he had something of a gambling problem, in that he lost a lot. He blamed it on broken dice. The rest of the party found this so funny, they agreed to name the group the Company of the Broken Die.

For four days, the company traveled towards Fairhill, a dark rain cloud following them the entire time. Finally, evening of the fourth night, they find a spot on a hills side with plenty of cover from trees to make a relatively dry camp. Lucian took first watch, while the others settled down to sleep. Not an hour later, he heard the sounds of a crying human baby coming from the other side of the clearing. Going to investigate, he was attacked by a strange creature, with the body of a stag and the head of a badger. He saw a second, larger version of this creature in the woods, making the cry he heard. Yelling out a warning to awaken the rest of the company, he fights back, hitting the younger creature square in the face and pushing it back with the force of his blow. The creature was so stunned and hurt that he and the older one fled. However, the sound of the crying baby continued to follow the party for the next two days.

Eventually, about a day away from Fairhill, the party discovered a strange pile of stones, carefully placed into the shape of a grinning skull. After some serious searching, Gimble finally casts detect magic, finding one of the stones to be magical. Taking it with them, they move on, figuring they must be in the right area. After all, who else by someone trying to be come a lich would have a pile of stones in the form of a skull?

Soon afterwards, they came upon the first of the outlying farms. They cheered, for Fairhill must only be a day away, and they hoped they could convince the farmer to allow them to sleep in the barn for the night. As they approached, they were greeted with a most gruesome sight. The body of the farmer lay outside his door, half-eaten and missing an arm. The bodies of his wife and three small children lie scattered in contorted positions, with the smallest boy completely disemboweled. Blood was everywhere.

After surprising their disgust, they drew weapons and entered the farmhouse to find out who did this vile deed. Inside, they found nothing to indicate who or what might have done this. Gimble then moved the rest of the party to gather the bodies for a proper burial. Before they have the chance, however, a voice familiar to Lucian is carried across the air. Everyone turns towards the forest near the farm to see Vortigern reading a scroll, with two large men with bows on either side. Shortly afterwards, skeletons rose out of the ground, and the bodies of the farmers rose up as zombies, surrounding the Company.

Despite being surprised, the party sprung into action quickly. Ulfgar worked himself into frenzy, and started to hack and the undead to clear a path towards Vortigern, and Dimble drew his bow to cover him. Meanwhile, the rest of the Company decided to focus on the undead surrounding them. The fight was hard and gruesome, but the party felt a righteous anger over Vortigern’s use of the farmers he had no doubt killed as zombies against them.

While the party was busy fighting to survive, Lucian found himself under attack by Vortigern’s familiar, Talon, who turned out to be an imp. Talon would sting Lucian, and then make an attempt to get the amulet from him. Thankfully, Lucian was able to defeat him with the help of a few well-placed arrows from Dimble.

While he took care of Talon, the rest of the party took down the skeletons and even one of his thugs from Vortigern. Seeing that the battle was going against him, Vortigern and Talon both disappear and escape. The remaining thug then surrenders. The party questions him, but the half-orc has no useful information. He was hired by Vortigern in Reme for the express purpose of killing the party, and he was looking forward to the second half of his payment. In disgust, the party lets him go.

Victorious, the party turns to the gruesome task of burying the farmer and his family. They then spend the night in the farmer’s house, where Gimble declares that, when he gets enough money, he will come back here and turn this place into a shrine dedicated to Heironeous.

Though they are all sure that they haven’t seen the last of Vortigern, the Company felt better than they have in days, and begin to once more look forward to reaching Fairhill tomorrow.
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I didn't know Dimble had a gambling problem! That little bastard...

Very nice. When's part 2 coming? :)
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Good write-up. :)
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]I didn't know Dimble had a gambling problem! That little bastard...

Very nice. When's part 2 coming? :)[/quote]

You know, I can change that, if you like. I just thought it was funny from our first gaming session, and so I kept it. :)

As for part 2, it's in the works right now.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Nah, leave it. I don't remember it, but it's a nice touch. :) Out of everyone in the group, he IS the most likely to have a gambling problem. :D
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.