Gen Con So Cal

All kinds of spooky goodness. A forum for the discussion of horror RPGs.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I got to run 3 Call of Cthulhu events at So Cal Gen Con. I had a good experience and met some fantastic people. Found Czernia playing Werewolf and lurked around because i was brain dead. Talked to CZ on the phone and tried to find him so I could lurk around him at Czernia's suggestion. But since i was brain dead that was impossible.

Well I ran a shorten version of the Looking for Algernon Ward scenario and a melded version of the Return of the Sorceror and Apple Orchard adventures from our old Monday games I ran for those that remember. Out of 12 players I had 3 Temp SAN and one tragic demise and one adventure abandoned. I guess it could have been worse.

I was going to do my highlights but I'm too tired. I had a good time
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I think next year I'm gonna wanna run a game or two. I played in a few games on Friday. An Adventure! game (fighting Nazis over cult artifacts in Africa! How could it NOT be a hoot?), and an Iron Kingdoms game (in which my character did 68 points of damage in one round - gotta love D20 feats).

Spent over $100 on merch - World of Darkness Antagonists, Mutants and Masterminds Noir, Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra, the new Werewolf the Forsaken dice, the first Vampire the Requiem novel, a couple of d20's from the Chessex table, and a "Gamers" dice bag (from the good fellas at Dead Gentlemen Productions). cha-CHING!

Many thanks to Breakfast of Champions for hanging out with me all day.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]I think next year I'm gonna wanna run a game or two. I played in a few games on Friday. An Adventure! game (fighting Nazis over cult artifacts in Africa! How could it NOT be a hoot?), and an Iron Kingdoms game (in which my character did 68 points of damage in one round - gotta love D20 feats).

Spent over $100 on merch - World of Darkness Antagonists, Mutants and Masterminds Noir, Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra, the new Werewolf the Forsaken dice, the first Vampire the Requiem novel, a couple of d20's from the Chessex table, and a "Gamers" dice bag (from the good fellas at Dead Gentlemen Productions). cha-CHING!

Many thanks to Breakfast of Champions for hanging out with me all day.[/quote]

Sorry I couldn't make it, fellas. I was in no condition to be in public that day.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I didn't get there early enough to look around. The Gurps stand was the only one open when I got done. I was afraid I was going to suxxor because I didn't know what to expect but it went well to my relief. I got some nice feedback. Had someone take our site flyer.
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

[quote="mordraine"]I think next year I'm gonna wanna run a game or two. I played in a few games on Friday. An Adventure! game (fighting Nazis over cult artifacts in Africa! How could it NOT be a hoot?), and an Iron Kingdoms game (in which my character did 68 points of damage in one round - gotta love D20 feats).

Many thanks to Breakfast of Champions for hanging out with me all day.[/quote]

It was a good time. Besides, I can use some adult supervision. Who else was going to keep me from continually howling back at the werewolf players?

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]
Sorry I couldn't make it, fellas. I was in no condition to be in public that day.[/quote]

Understood, and don't worry about it! We missed you, but hope you're feeling better now.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

man alive. looks like you all had fun. i went on thursday. it was very, erm, empty... seeing as it was the first day. it filled out as the morning bled into afternoon. i liked it. not as claustrophobic and frenzied as any day of this summer's comic con. it was quieter and slower, but it meant you got to take your time, not wait in as many lines (or any) and got to talk to industry folk. pretty nice trade off, actually. bought a handy dandy vinyl miniatures mat for a paltry $6, some dice, and scored free booty (a card game, free dice, magnets, patches, magazines, and a miniature). pretty good haul. actually the highlights were talking to industry artists and writers, meeting up with gary and finally meeting his wife amy, and chilling with dale. think i'm going next year. yep.
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]man alive. looks like you all had fun. i went on thursday. it was very, erm, empty... seeing as it was the first day. it filled out as the morning bled into afternoon. i liked it. not as claustrophobic and frenzied as [i]any[/i] day of this summer's comic con. it was quieter and slower, but it meant you got to take your time, not wait in as many lines (or any) and got to talk to industry folk. pretty nice trade off, actually. bought a handy dandy vinyl miniatures mat for a paltry $6, some dice, and scored free booty (a card game, free dice, magnets, patches, magazines, and a miniature). pretty good haul. actually the highlights were talking to industry artists and writers, meeting up with gary and finally meeting his wife amy, and chilling with dale. think i'm going next year. yep.[/quote]

Wow, score. I got precisely dick. Well, that's not true. I got a map that I think I'll force on players when I run my next game. You know, kind of an 'Ed Wood' kind of roleplaying experience.

I had a good time, but I'm used to conventions with more swag (Microsoft) free food (Microsoft) and deep discounts on goodies (Every leather and PC show I've been to)

But, having griped about that, it was good to talk to Stan! And play a combat monster with a Defense of yes, 11. No armor. Did I mention I have no armor?

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]But, having griped about that, it was good to talk to Stan![/quote]

stan!: well, i work for game mechanics and have been in the industry for a number of years.

jimmy corrigan: [thinks] yeah, i think i've seen your name around before. (and no, i wasn't being sarcastic. i am pretty green to the hobby of rpg's in comparison to most of you out there.)

s!: yeah, i used to do comics a while back--

marc schmalz: [pointing to stan!s comics and wares] stan!s been around and is a pretty big name in the industry.

jc: wow. i guess you pretty much have to be if your last name's a punctuation mark.

s!: [polite laughter at lame me]

very nice guy. humble, approachable and open. just like most everyone else at booths that day. also shot the shit with jeremy jarvis, randy gallegos, and carl frank (all up and coming industry artists whose work i respect). my friend dale and i were talking about how amazingly easy it is to talk to people in this business in comparison to people in most others.

BreakfastOfChampions

Stan! was quite cool. Had a chit chat about the unarmed combat rules in d20 modern. Bought their Modern Magic book.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I almost lost my voice from howling in the Werewolf game. Here is a summary of what happened if anyone is interested:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=160861

Picked up WoD: Antagonists, Astate Mires End, and Orbital (Indy Game). Also got a free Werewolf tF T-shirt and dice plus a $10 gift certificate for the WW booth which I couldn't use :x
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I love that the acronym for Werewolf is WTF.

My thoughts exactly.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
BreakfastOfChampions

I like Werewolf. Its keeps them out of *my* games.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]I love that the acronym for Werewolf is WTF.

My thoughts exactly.[/quote]

If you thought Mage was confusing Werewolf will really make you say WTF :)

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"][quote:61dfffeac4="devlin1"]I love that the acronym for Werewolf is WTF.

My thoughts exactly.[/quote]

If you thought Mage was confusing Werewolf will really make you say WTF :)[/quote:61dfffeac4]

I don't need to crack a book to say that. You're hoarse from howling. That's all I really need. Dude, WTF?!

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]
If you thought Mage was confusing Werewolf will really make you say WTF :)[/quote]

I don't need to crack a book to say that. You're hoarse from howling. That's all I really need. Dude, WTF?![/quote]

WTF indeed.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Oh I forgot to mention that my Green Ronin transaction was processed by none other than Chris Pramas. Heh.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mordraine"]Oh I forgot to mention that my Green Ronin transaction was processed by none other than Chris Pramas. Heh.[/quote]

Who's that?...sorry if my question reveals a certain unawareness

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Skyman"][quote:64d0dfa294="mordraine"]Oh I forgot to mention that my Green Ronin transaction was processed by none other than Chris Pramas. Heh.[/quote]

Who's that?...sorry if my question reveals a certain unawareness[/quote:64d0dfa294]

Chris Pramas is the head developer for Green Ronin (and I do beleive the president). He's done a ton of d20 stuff for Green Ronin plus helped write books for Ars Magica, Star Trek (icon), Feng Shui as well as a few things for AD&D

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

He used to work for Wizards of the Coast, if I'm not mistaken. Along with some of the people at AEG and Malhavoc Press (the top three third party D20 publishers, IMHO).

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!