Character Creation

An rpg-sandiego.org Spirit of the Century community game - Adventure awaits, come on in
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Character Creation

Post by devlin1 »

(I know this game wasn't my idea, but I do love SotC and I'm eager to see this thing come together, so I'm posting.)

If you're familiar with SotC, you know that character creation happens in five phases (and if you aren't familiar with it, read the SRD here).

I suggest we post the first three phases of each character in another thread as kind of an intro to that character, then add our fourth and fifth phases (the guest-star phases) later, either by editing the original post or posting again.

What do people think of that? Because I'll post my first three phases, like, right now.

Also, I'm assuming for the sake of simplicity we'll stick to the standard 10 Aspects and 5 Stunts.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]What do people think of that?[/quote]
i can get behind that. i'm ready, too.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]i can get behind that. i'm ready, too.[/quote]
I might not be immediately ready, but, y'know, soon. Because not long after I started this thread, I began statting up Wong Xiao-Peng, secret son of Wong Fei-Hung, hero of the Boxer Rebellion.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Aye Aye, Captain.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

rex p. murphy (folks close to him call him r.p.m. [nod to ken kesey]), grease monkey extraordinaire and crafter of all things mechanic.

more later.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Hey, look at that - a forum and everything!

I'm still mulling character ideas myself, but I should have something soon.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Cool, it happened! Still deciding on a concept.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Cthulhu"]Cool, it happened! Still deciding on a concept.[/quote]
How about an African-American grease monkey with an experimental car and a royal nemesis?

Mike Olson
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

That's an awesome SOTC concept!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

After proclaiming that I'd post my first three phases "like, right away" the other day, now I'm not so sure. I'm vacillating between three characters:
  • The aforementioned Wong Xiao-Peng, secret son of Wong Fei-Hung
  • Blake Sexton, aka The Vox, an academic and master of the Voice of Shakti
  • Gil Specter, a private eye who speaks with the dead
Mike Olson
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

So here's my issue (everybody's got one, right?)...

I'm fine with "special people" in a "special club" thing. But in order to do that I HAVE TO HAVE THE SAME BIRTHDAY AS EVERY OTHER CHARACTER?

What the hell is up with that? It kind of puts the kibosh on any character older than whatever year the game is run. Not every pulp character in my recollection was in their twenties, Doc Savage as a delightful example.

Comments welcomed, clarifications appreciated.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Sadohara"]So here's my issue (everybody's got one, right?)...

I'm fine with "special people" in a "special club" thing. But in order to do that I HAVE TO HAVE THE SAME BIRTHDAY AS EVERY OTHER CHARACTER?

What the hell is up with that? It kind of puts the kibosh on any character older than whatever year the game is run. Not every pulp character in my recollection was in their twenties, Doc Savage as a delightful example.

Comments welcomed, clarifications appreciated.[/quote]

If you don't like it, don't use it. This came up in the other thread. It's supposed to help, not hinder, so if it's doing the latter, drop it. Carry on with your delightful twenty-something Prof Bestial.

Mike Olson
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

Thanks, Devlin. My solution is to just go with it and let the story/GM figure it out, but I wanted to sound people out to find out if deviating from that little detail might cause an outrage.

Middle-aged pulp hero, coming up!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Although the rules talk about Centurions and being born on Jan. 1, 1900, there's nothing dictating that all the PCs have to be Centurions, or even members of the Century Club, to be viable characters. SotC isn't the kind of game that really encourages rules lawyering, IMO and IME, and I don't think any of us would be such pricks as GMs (since we're doing this troupe-style) that we'd reject a pulp character who breaks the mold.
Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]Although the rules talk about Centurions and being born on Jan. 1, 1900, there's nothing dictating that all the PCs have to be Centurions, or even members of the Century Club, to be viable characters. SotC isn't the kind of game that really encourages rules lawyering, IMO and IME, and I don't think any of us would be such pricks as GMs (since we're doing this troupe-style) that we'd reject a pulp character who breaks the mold.[/quote]

.. what he said. Also, if you like book reasons for stuff:

SotC Book, pg 350:

"There are no real hard and fast rules regarding where the Centurions or their capabilities come from. While the bulk of this century’s Centurions were born on January 1, 1901, there are always a few exceptional people born across the length of the century."

So don't sweat it. Me? - I'd throw some time travel in there for xtra pulpy goodness on my middle aged guy :biggrin:

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Hey Uber,

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

did you just tell uber_snotling to go ride a big green dick? i'd expect that sort of typing from devlin1, but you? not cool, skyman. not cool.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

When will you guys be playing this? My schedule has become really wonky, but I would like to play.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]did you just tell uber_snotling to go ride a big green dick? i'd expect that sort of typing from devlin1, but you? not cool, skyman. not cool.[/quote]

I'm sorry but...

Get it right JC, it's NOT a DICK!...It's a vibrating ribbed Green Dildo I like to call 'Sammy the Chocolate Chute Rump Shaker.'

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]I'm sorry but...

Get it right JC, it's NOT a DICK!...It's a vibrating ribbed Green Dildo I like to call 'Sammy the Chocolate Chute Rump Shaker.'[/quote]

Hey! Post a fucking character already!

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]Hey! Post a fucking character already![/quote]clearly, a self-reminder, yes?
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

nothing scheduled yet, but wonky schedule withstanding, please do go ahead and make a character as this is totally a walk-in/pick-up game sorta deal. make a character first, the fiddly bits will coalesce later.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]clearly, a self-reminder, yes?[/quote]
No, I'm just mulling over my options, of which I have many, believe you me.

I think I'm going to move all this chatter over to the Character Creation thread to keep this one... [i]pure[/i].

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]nothing scheduled yet, but wonky schedule withstanding, please do go ahead and make a character as this is totally a walk-in/pick-up game sorta deal. make a character first, the fiddly bits will coalesce later.[/quote]
Yeah, the whole idea is that it wouldn't have a regular schedule -- more like, "Hey, I want to run SotC this Thursday night. Who's available?"

Mike Olson
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

The name is Brontosaurus Bill, but I'm open to the idea of Brokeback Brontosaurus Bill.

Perhaps when he guest stars in someone's book?
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Still thinking about a couple ideas...I'm gonna buy the book to get a better idea
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I know my character isn't up yet, but I just wanted to say that the three that are up now have blown my fucking mind. Holy shit, you guys.
Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

seriously. i'm having a blast reading these things! so far so good.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I am kind of intimidated, actually. I think it's safe to say that Wong Xiao-Peng, secret son of Wong Fei-Hung, is far too mundane for this crowd, so that leaves me with The Vox or Gil Specter. Or something wackier, if I can think of it.
Mike Olson
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

I'm totally excited about this game, and want to get started!

I need two novels to have my character guest star in, and I want to know when I can get started after a good smattering of characters are available.

If you are planning on making a character for this, and haven't already posted in this forum, can you do so? I want to know when a good portion of the folks have posted their characters so I can move on to Phases IV and V of character creation without worry that some better awesomeness is about to come along.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

word.

i am equally enthused about this and cannot wait for the next phase.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I'll see if I can post something tonight.
Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I'm "finishing touches"-ing mine right now, actually (well, the beginning part. Can you use 'finishing touches' on part of something if you aren't finishing it? eh, whatever). Depends on how many 'interruptions' I get (some call it work) when I'll be done, but I'd guess today in any case.

Also, I'm seriously considering scheduling a game to light a fire under some various asses - my not having read the whole book and whatnot be damned! :wink:
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Cool concepts everyone! Who else is planning on creating a character? Also, Black Tom Explosion would have been an awesome character name.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Cthulhu"]Cool concepts everyone! Who else is planning on creating a character? Also, Black Tom Explosion would have been an awesome character name.[/quote]
Or an awesome band name.

I'm going to post a character too, but I imagine I won't be able to make these games as often as you locals. That's part of the reason for my delay.

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

... or, you could get the character done and post to my scheduling thread quicker so we choose a day you can be down here. Or something.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]... or, you could get the character done and post to my scheduling thread quicker so we choose a day you can be down here. Or something.[/quote]
Yeah, there's that, too. I'm kinda slammed with drill and music writing this week, so if I can take time out for some SotC goodness, I will, but if I can't and you guys want to schedule something and play, then, like, do that. I can only make a weekend thing anyway -- and hey, if you/we could play SotC during the day and make Greyhawk characters at night, right before rousing games of Star Wars Saga, Faery's Tale, and Car Wars....

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]-- and hey, if you/we could play SotC during the day and make Greyhawk characters at night, right before rousing games of Star Wars Saga, Faery's Tale, and Car Wars....[/quote]

We should totally do this.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

yes! i want a piece of that.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I could probably make it on the 6th if you want to go for some crazy shit like that.
Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

seeing as how the first sesh is happening relatively sooner than later, shall we move on to the next phases?
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Skyman and Devlin haven't posted and said they would eventually.

Mordraine and Scolopendra are the only folks on the original thread about this that haven't posted here.

So we're missing 2 for sure and possibly 2 more who won't have any of the original 5 as guest stars.

That being said, I can probably whip through the last two phases in about 15 minutes on game night if need be. So I'm going to hold off for those laggardly folks at this point.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

okay. i'll concede to your considerate spirit... asshole.

another possibility: if we just do phase 4 then the laggers can be each other's guest stars. then we can do phase 5 all together when we're all together at the gaming table. that way we can get as much out of the way before the session.

just a thought.

i apologize for my somewhat impatient enthusiasm.
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Pipel down jerkypants.

That sounds like a reasonable compromise and I'm willing to go for phase IV at this time.

Anyway, I say just go ahead and do whatever we want anyway, right? I mean, if rpm wants to guest star in The Lost Island and The Braininator, go right ahead and do it. I'm just waiting because I like to keep my options open and I'm not sure if I can see exactly how I want to guest star in my available adventure options at this point.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

yeah, i was just ajoshing with that "asshole" remark if you couldn't tell. sorry.

you bring up a good point about waiting for every possible option. i'll see what pans after this weekend. but after then, all bets are off, and i'm off to the races-- the character building races! (wha?)
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

I'm sorry my jerkypants was construed as a real insult. I thought the absurdity of the term alone would tip off its intended lightness of being.

I'm not an asshole, you aren't a jerkypants, and we're all a happy family.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

*hug*
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

All my time lately has been taken up by work and drill. I work during the day, then come home and write drill all evening. But hopefully I can turn that around soon. I just finished a tune, but I'll have another to write (music and drill) next week. Anyway. The point is, I should have more time soon. I feel like I say that a lot.
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Still working on my guy, Damien Jar- Legendary Soul Collector

I'm trying to make him more pulpy than grim wit brimstone. I've been sick lately and just started my new job
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]Still working on my guy, Damien Jar- Legendary Soul Collector[/quote]
Just out of curiosity, is he a Mysteries kinda guy?

[quote]I'm trying to make him more pulpy than grim wit brimstone. I've been sick lately and just started my new job[/quote]
Congrats on the new job. My advice to you is to get non-sick. De-sickened, if you will.

Mike Olson