Boardgames & Java

Monthly fix of Boardgames and coffee overload
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Boardgames & Java

Post by Count Zero »

I want to start playing boardgames like Twilight Imperium, Descent, and similar games on a regular basis. I also want to play in an interesting environment. So I figured a coffee shop would be good.

So for the first game, any players who want to get together, I am looking at playing Twilight Imperium on Saturday, June 23rd at the Living Room in Old Town. I want to get together about 11 am, so we can play a full game and be done early enough to do other things.

I would consider a change of venue since parking in Old Town can be a pain in the ass. I figure a CoCo's, Denny's or similar location would be a good option too.

Anyone interested?
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

sounds like fun. count me in.
Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Drew »

There are some good cafes in North Park that I've played board games in. The Other Side is good for it if you do want to move out of Old Town.
In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Drew"]There are some good cafes in North Park that I've played board games in. The Other Side is good for it if you do want to move out of Old Town.[/quote]

At this point I am more concerned about the number of people who want to play.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

If you add Carcasonne and/or Settlers of Catan, I'm interested as well. Although I'm not sure of my schedule right now. But if I can make it, I'll be there.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="mordraine"]If you add Carcasonne and/or Settlers of Catan, I'm interested as well. Although I'm not sure of my schedule right now. But if I can make it, I'll be there.[/quote]

That would be an option also, but at this point I really want to play Twilight Imperium. In the future games like Settler of Catan would be a good option because I own all the expansions and never get the chance to play them because I am always teaching new players.

I want to start a board game group and this is the game I want to start with because I never get to play it.

ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

If you want to play board games in Java, you can always use Vassal. Many games have already been ported, like DnD Miniatures. It's great because you can use Java with any web browser now, and play people all over the world!
Drew

Post by Drew »

[quote="ekomega"]If you want to play board games in Java, you can always use Vassal. Many games have already been ported, like DnD Miniatures. It's great because you can use Java with any web browser now, and play people all over the world![/quote]

Heh... He means, I do beleive, Java as in Coffee... Not Java the programming language. :)

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Drew"]Heh... He means, I do beleive, Java as in Coffee... Not Java the programming language. :)[/quote]

Hehe.. maybe I should change the title....

MikeB
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by MikeB »

I would be interested in playing. I've never played Twilight Imperium, but it sounds like the turn based computer games I used to love playing. (Master of Orion Series). I really enjoy good Board/War/Card games. I used to love playing Talisman with all the expansions, DungeonQuest, Warrior Knights, Archam Horror, Nuclear War, Shogun, and Upfront.

I vote for a venue somewhere in the North Park/Normal Heights area. There are a lot of good coffee shops to choose from. Its central and parking is not to hard to come by.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Actually, that is the feel it has. It really does capture the essence of Master of Orion as a board game.

As to the venue, I picked the Living Room because I know where it is and they have a nice large table that we could play on. I was going to scout the place out again and talk with them to make sure they didn't mind. I can always scout out other places too.

So we have three, including myself. If we can get a few more we are good to go.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Hey it sounds like fun. I'll bring Settlers of Cataan + expansion for 6 players. Might be able to get my wife in on this action.

I know Cthulhu has Arkham Horror. It look like fun and I would like get in on that if John-Cthulhu showed up.

BTW The Otherside is not a bad venue...thai restraunt across the street.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

At this point it was intended that we would just do Twilight Imperium, but if we get enough people we could always do both games.

MikeB
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by MikeB »

I meant to say Arkham Horror. DOH!!!. Anyway, I'm cool with playing Twilight Imperium to start with it sounds fun. I've also never played Settlers of Cataan and would be willing to give that a try also. I think there is a Board Games Meetup Group on Meetup. If we can't get enough people here, maybe we could post there also.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

This looked fun, but I was holding off on a reponse until I was sure I could make it. Looks like I can.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I'd like to make this a regular thing. So if we get a group going often (or a second time for that matter), we can just rotate on what game to play. So, one person will be designated to bring the game we play, be it Settlers of Catan, Arkham Horror, Descent, or any other multitude of interesting games.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

BTW.. I will go scout out the Living Room to make sure they still have a table that would work and see if it is okay with them.

If any of you have an suggestions for other locations let me know.

Shoby187
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Shoby187 »

You know, my buddies and I were talking about this the other day. You know what board game I would really like to play again:

Space Hulk!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

That is one that would be fun too. See.. we get this rolling and before we know it, we are playing Space Hulk at the Living Room. :P

...of course where we would need to find a copy of Space Hulk.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Count Zero"]

If any of you have an suggestions for other locations let me know.[/quote]

The Otherside in North Park

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

anybody here own talisman? that would be a great game to play.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

It isn't in print right now, but from what I understand it will be re-released soon by another company.

Shoby187
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Shoby187 »

[quote="Count Zero"]That is one that would be fun too. See.. we get this rolling and before we know it, we are playing Space Hulk at the Living Room. :P

...of course where we would need to find a copy of Space Hulk.[/quote]

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/Games-Workshop-Space-Hulk_W0QQitemZ250120088286QQihZ015QQcategoryZ44118QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

If only I didn't have 6 mouths to feed . . .

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="Count Zero"]It isn't in print right now, but from what I understand it will be re-released soon by [url=http://www.blackindustries.com/?template=TM&content=default]another company.[/url][/quote]
yeah, i know. i'm the one who told ya 'bout it. i was wondering if anyone around these parts owns an earlier edition.

MikeB
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by MikeB »

Space Hulk is a great game. I love blasting Genestealers. but usually they ended up eating me. I agree with Simon that the Otherside in North Park is a good spot.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]yeah, i know. i'm the one who told ya 'bout it. i was wondering if anyone around these parts owns an earlier edition.[/quote]

Actually, John at Game Towne told me about it first. Talisman tends to be owned by really old guys with big beards at gaming conventions, and no one here really fits the bill.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="Count Zero"]Actually, John at Game Towne told me about it first.[/quote]
didn't say i told you about it first, just that i told you about it. hence, no real reason to bring it up. *shrug*
[quote="Count Zero"]Talisman tends to be owned by really old guys with big beards at gaming conventions, and no one here really fits the bill.[/quote]
both times i've played this game, the folks who owned the it were clean-shaven and my age. *double shrug*

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Checked out the living room. They have changed the layout. The tables aren't big enough. So, it sounds like the otherside might be a good option.

Drew

Post by Drew »

If you move it to the Other Side, I'd most likely go, depending on the date...
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

There's a place called Rebecca's on Fern and Juniper (near my house) that my wife likes. She says that it's a perfect place for this kind of thing.

Right across the street from it is an ice cream shop, and katty corner to it is a good Italian place, too. :)

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]There's a place called Rebecca's on Fern and Juniper (near my house) that my wife likes. She says that it's a perfect place for this kind of thing.

Right across the street from it is an ice cream shop, and katty corner to it is a good Italian place, too. :)

Chris[/quote]

I called both places... Rebeccas sounds like the place to be honest. When I talked with them, they said they had larger tables that work well.

Thanks for the tip there Blanch

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

So here's the plan:

Meet at Rebecca's Coffee House at 11:00 in the morning this Saturday (June 23) to play Twilight Imperium. I will provide all the necessary components. If you want to bring your own d10's that couldn't hurt, but I should have plenty. How many can I expect?

Rebecca's Coffee House
3015 Juniper St
San Diego, Ca. 92104
Phone: 619-284-FOOD

I look forward to seeing you all this Saturday and the first round is on me.

P.S. I realize that 11:00 might be a little early for some of you, but I want to get the game done early so we can do things with our S.O.'s or other friends. If we are having a good time and want to continue after the first game, someone could bring a different game we can keep playing. If we need to start a little later, than that is fine with me, but let's not start later than 12:30 or 1 pm.

mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Well I'm up for it, though I feel like I should be doing something on the 23rd, though I can't remember what.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

'slong as i can make it to my dune game at 6:30, i ought to be good.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I think I should be good
Here is some info I came across

http://www.rebeccascoffeehouse.com
http://wikimapia.org/3130079/Rebecca_s_Coffeehouse
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Thanks for posting that info Skyman.

If at all possible, I would like to make this a regular thing, but at this point I will just be happy to get it going one day.

Scaramanga
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Scaramanga »

Fudge, I'd be down for this if I didn't have a different club meeting to attend that day. :frown:

If you do this again, I'd certainly be up (down?) for it. Also I'll third the recommendation for The Other Side for the future. They get a lot of gamer/geekery types in there, and IIRC they had a few fairly decent-sized tables.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Well, that's the day we're having the next Scion game, so I can't make it (unless it takes far less than two hours to play).

Still, you guys will have to tell me how it goes!

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
MikeB
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by MikeB »

Count me in. I'm also down with the 11:00am time slot.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

*bump*
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

rarin' to go. see you guys there.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

The place is open 24hour on thurs-Fri-SAt...I can get silly stupid with them hours
MikeB
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by MikeB »

Had a really fun time playing. That was an awesome board game. I wish I was a bit more aggressive, but hindsight is always better than foresight for sure. Anyway, we should definitely try to make it a regular thing. Rebecca's was a good spot too. Good Coffee, Good Food, Good People = Good Times.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Rebecca's was really impressive. I thought the game was fun and I had a blast with the smack talk
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Glad you guys had fun. We need to do it again. Maybe sometime in July or early August.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

ditto for me. let's do it again.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Jonathan are still up to having a forum for this?

Hey didn't this person come to our table in a apron
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I would like to set up a forum for it and get this rolling. Maybe do something larger in the future.

And yes... she did come over to our table.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

That's what I thought.

That was a fun game-Twillight Imperium. I had a good time and it was fun learning to play. I hope the group can be around that big all the time. BTW All beware of the YEE BROTHERHOOD. I look forward to the other armies and the strategy involved in playing them. If I get the brotherhood again I'll be a force to be reckon with because they are a bit unbalanced if you min/max it the right way. I think most groups are. Some more obvious than others...like the one with the Sun Warhip: AKA: 1/2 Death Star.

I'll get the forum thing going. I'll make it open to the public and have the title go something like:

Boardgames & Java
Open Monthly Board Game hook up at a coffee house.

or

Boardgames & Java
Get your fix of Joe and Boardgames
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Skyman"]I'll get the forum thing going. I'll make it open to the public and have the title go something like:

Boardgames & Java

Open Monthly Board Game hook up at a coffee house.

or

Boardgames & Java

Get your fix of Joe and Boardgames[/quote]

Maybe combine the two somehow like: Open Monthly fix of Boardgames and a cup of joe.