Scion

BlanchPrez's twice a month Scion Game
Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Update?

Post by Drew »

Saturday is fast approaching... is everything still set for the game? Some of us don't know where you live. :)
In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Drew"]Saturday is fast approaching... is everything still set for the game? Some of us don't know where you live. :)[/quote]

Everything is still as planned. This Saturday, from 2pm to 8pm. Likely this will mostly be Char Gen, but I do have an introductory advenure ready to go.

I would like to make sure that everyone is still going ot make it. If everyone that's said they want to play this can confirm they are going to make it on Saturday, I'd love it. :)

I'll send out directions to my house on tomorrow.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Confirmation: I will be there, 2 to 8 this Saturday.
Drew

Post by Drew »

ditto
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Good to go for me!
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, that's three.

Just waiting on John and Mr. Lost. CZ already said he can't make it this weekend.

Address and directions to my place going out shortly.

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, John just confirmed. All we're waiting on now is Mr. Lost.

I sent everyone by Mr. Lost directions. (Well, except also for Mord, but you know where I live already).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Woo, what an awesome game. Thanks everyone for coming over. Looking forward to the next session. :)

Chris
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Cool game! Thanks for running Chris.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, just to confirm, the next game will be in two weeks, Sunday June 10 from 2pm to 8pm.

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, guys, a little over a week to go for the game.

I need backgrounds from you. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. But, a few key details I do want are:

1. Your visitation (what happened, did your parent come him/herself, or did they send a proxy, was it a good experience or a bad one, etc).

2. Your reason for seeking out Finneous O'Toole, the prophet.

Some other ideas you might want to include is who your mortal parent was, and what attracted your divine parent to them, what their reaction was when your devine parent dissapeared (if they did), are they still alive, and their reaction to you.

Chris
Drew

Post by Drew »

I'll try to have that for you soon...
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Check it out! Pantheon specific sheets. :)

http://www.menchhofer.com/chris/scion.html

Chris
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Check it out! Pantheon specific sheets. :)

[url]http://www.menchhofer.com/chris/scion.html[/url]

Chris[/quote]

Those are pretty cool. What I really like is that you can fill them in. I wonder how he did that. I have a number of programs that you would expect can do that, but I can't figure out how to accomplish it.

It really bugs me that no company seems to make their character sheets interactive like he did.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

It's an Adobe Acrobat feature.

Chris
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]It's an Adobe Acrobat feature.[/quote]

I figured as much. I have Adobe Acrobat Pro. I guess I just need to figure out how to use it, because I would do this for almost every game I play.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="Count Zero"]I figured as much. I have Adobe Acrobat Pro. I guess I just need to figure out how to use it, because I would do this for almost every game I play.[/quote]

You should play around with it - it isn't too difficult. Basically, you can take an already pdf'd document, fire it up in Acrobat, bring up the forms toolbars (if they aren't there already) and start adding text boxes, buttons, check boxes, etc - whatever you need. They have spiffy 'select this from a list' type ones too, so you can do a box for 'pantheon' or whatever and have a list to choose from.

If you are using Acrobat 8, then make sure to enable the extended rights on the form so that those with only the reader app can still save their data (great for a character sheet, you can update digitally and save a copy online so you never have to worry about leaving your sheet at home and getting killed by a freakin' shugenja's flaming sword when you would have probably survived if only you had your original sheet that listed all the stuff you were forgetting. Damn it.) But I digress..

Instructions:

In Acrobat 8 - From the Advanced menu, simply select “Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader” to bless your PDF with Forms Save, Commenting and Digital Signatures rights. Forms-data import and export rights are also enabled (although undocumented).

[Acrobat 7 and earlier is hosed on this - you can't enable rights for the lowly reader program - they can fill out your form but not save it, etc]

There's also cool stuff you can do like auto-create form fields & whatnot, but that mostly depends on what program you create the form in originally and if it can interface with Acrobat properly.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Cool.. thanks. I will have to mess with it. I thought the forms might be the way to go, but I could never seem to figure it out. I have thought about getting a book about it or some such.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Just wanted to remind everyone that this weekend is game day! Sunday the 10th, from 2pm to 8pm at my place.

If someone still doesn't have directions to my place, let me know and I'll PM you.

So, who all can make it?

Also, has anyone heard from Mr. Lost?

Chris
Drew

Post by Drew »

I'll be there...
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'll be there. Also, I have a background story for Oliver. I'll hopefully have some time soon to write it up for ya.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

will be there... and now I'm returning to my blown-up email server.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

So... Cthulu? Count Zero? You guy going to make it?

Chris
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

FYI - I have something to do later on that evening, so I may need to cut out a little early - I need to be in Carlsbad around 8.
Drew

David's background story.

Post by Drew »

Having visions was nothing new to her. But she would never get used to having visions during childbirth. Childbirth is never easy, even for one of her kind. But for her, it wasn’t the pain. After a life as long lived as hers, you kind of get used to it. No, for her, it was the visions. During contractions she was assaulted by visages; visages of the child’s future. Every possibility of who the child will be. A lifetime of memories that have yet to happen, all shoved into the deepest recesses of her mind… forcibly… in minutes can cause… mild discomfort. Usually she is left only with a mental photo album filled with snapshots that have not been taken, yet.
But this one was different. The visions that assaulted her left her rending the sheets and screaming in fear.
And when it was done, she thrust the child into the arms of the first handmaiden that she saw. “This one,” she wept, “this one cannot live.”
The handmaid took one look at the infant, then to the mother and nodded once and left. Through a door that the mother had never noticed before. And as it quickly faded back to a wall with a poster of a kitten and an asinine quote Bast fell to her knees and wept quietly. “What have I done?”

“David Cheshire. Sixteen and a rap sheet longer than most career crooks.”
“You sound almost proud, Detective Hick.” Even cuffed to a table, David gracefully dodged the swift backhand.
“That’s ‘Hicks’ you little punk.”
“What is it you want, Detective Hicks-You-Little-Punk?”
“Smart-mouthed kids like you to know their place.”
“Yeah, and where’s that?”
Hicks spun the chair around and straddled it. He took out a cigarette and put it is his mouth. He started to pat his pockets, looking for his lighter and looked at David with a crooked grin and an outstretched hand. David smiled back and dropped the detective’s lighter on the floor.
“Pick that up.” Detective Hicks was not amused when David rattled the cuffs and shook his head.
“Can’t reach.”
Hicks faked another backhand and then picked up the lighter. He didn’t notice when David took his keys.
“In your case, you belong in jail, for a very long time.” Hicks took the cigarette and placed in on the table next to the lighter, just out of David’s reach.
“Yeah? Why’s that?”
Hicks reached down and dumped David’s backpack onto the table. One by one, Hicks picked up the objects. “Ball of yarn. A wind-up mouse. A bag of,” Hicks takes a sniff of the bag. “What is that? Catnip?”
“It’s mint tea, you moron.”
“Huh. And oh yes. These.” Hicks picked up two bundles wrapped in newspaper that smelled like it had been wrapped around a fish. Which it had been.
“What’s that? Smells like Halibut to me.”
“You saying you don’t know what’s in here?”
“That’s right. I have no idea how those got there.”
“You’re trying to tell me,” Hicks slowly began to unwind the newspaper, “that you didn’t know that wrapped in here,” dropping each soggy piece on the table in front of David with a plop, “were these?” The heavy objects landed loudly on either side of the newspaper. On each one was the mirror image of a hundred dollar bill, one the front and one the back.
“Care to tell me, David, how a sixteen year old delinquent ended up with official US treasury printing plates?”
“Um. I found them?”
“Look, you little…” Two men dressed like the Blues brothers, without the hats, barged into the interrogation room and flashed secret service badges. “Detective Hicks. A word please.” The door hadn’t even closed when David had the cuffs off and was smoking the cigarette.

He wasn’t halfway finished when Hicks held the door open with a sigh and his head down. He shook it slightly as David walked out. But as David walked past, Hicks held out his arm to stop him. David handed him his keys and lighter. Hicks looked him in the eyes. “Someone one’s watching out for you kid, but it ain’t me.”

As David walked up to the waiting limo, the secret service agents came out the other side and walked away looking slightly confused. He slid into the limo and looked at the man in the seat across from him drinking scotch. “That wasn’t very subtle, Father. But thanks for pulling strings…”
“I pull everybody’s strings.” Father threw the glass of scotch at him. David caught it, barely spilling a drop. “Including yours.”
Then David dumped it on the floor in front of him.
“You’ve too much your mother in you.”
“So you’ve said all my life. Usually right before you remind me that she doesn’t want me.”
Father’s cold grimace let up slightly. “You did good kid.” When father pulled something out of his briefcase, David could see the corner of a metal plate with the mirror image of a hundred dollar bill on it. “Real good. In fact…” Father tossed him a set of keys with a Ducati key tag. “It’s right in front of us.”

###

The Cat’s Eyes orbs have been David’s private obsession since he first saw them on middle school field trip to an Egyptian exhibit at the history museum. Two orbs, solid gold with emerald cat’s eyes inlaid. From that night on, they seemed to be in his every dream, usually just watching him. Sometimes the eyes were part of a face, a feminine but somewhat feline face. And now they are back in Chicago. Some rich bitch’s private collection.
To almost anyone else, scaling the glass front of a skyscraper might seem daunting. To David, it was nothing more than a night’s adventure. Seventy-five stories straight up. The door on the rooftop garden wasn’t even locked. From there it was a simple matter of bypassing a state of the art security system and opening a safe that no safecracker had done. He had it open inside fifteen minutes. When he turned around and came face to face with his dream, he wasn’t all that surprised. He almost smiled at her when she reached out to touch his forehead, to lightly brush his hair out of his eyes.

She knew this was no ordinary thief. Better to see what he was after. You can learn a lot about a thief from what he steals. When he went straight for the Eye’s she knew who he was and wept for what must be done. She gently stroked his forehead and lightly touched his temples. “I’m sorry,” she whispered and let the vision, the nightmare, she’d been holding onto for more than sixteen years into David’s mind.

When David saw what he would accomplish with his life, it made him violently ill. It felt like every meal he had ever eaten heaved its way out of his stomach. So many dead. How could I be responsible for so many deaths? “What must I do?” he slowly looked up and wiped his eyes. “What must I do to fix…” and saw his mother standing over him with tears running down her face and a Glock leveled at his forehead. “Oh.” David lowered his head and looked at the golden orbs in his hand. He squeezed them into his fists. “Make it quick. Please.”
She was gone when he looked up. As he was leaving, he found black racing leathers folded neatly by the door. The Glock and a hastily scrawled note with a name and address were on top of it.

Bast watched her son going away for the second time. Silently, she wondered who she could pray to, to grant him the strength to beat destiny.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Wow... very cool. I'm going to have to work hard to figure out this one.

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Wow... very cool. I'm going to have to work hard to figure out how to incorporate this one.

Chris
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Very cool Drew. I can't see how hard that is going to be to incorporate him. He did most of the work from what it seems
Drew

Post by Drew »

David
Attachments
David-Cheshire.jpg
David-Cheshire.jpg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 24113 times
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Sweet!

Did you do that yourself?

Chris
Drew

Post by Drew »

Thanks!
Yep. All digital.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

So our next game is this Saturday? I have a potential conflict with my other game group. They typically start at around 7ish. So I might have to leave early. Sorry!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Wait, is it Saturday this time? I was still thinking it would be Sunday again for some reason...
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I remember it being Saturday for this week only. Can we still do that? I can't make it on Sunday.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Saturday's cool, guess I just forgot we had switched it.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Cthulhu has the same problem as me, BTW. He's got the same gaming group playing this Saturday night.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Saturday's good with me. I'm free all day if we want to start earlier. In fact, that would be better for me as I have plans Saturday night...
Drew

Post by Drew »

We on for Saturday? If so, what times? Trying to shore up plans for the weekend...
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Starting a little earlier would be okay with me too. Blanchprez?
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="&quot"]"Well, we seem to have lost our Scion thread, and I don't see a new game section created for it, so either it was and I'm not part of the group (odd, considering I'm GMing), or it doesn't exist.

So, I'm starting a new thread. :P

Game day is this Saturday! 2pm, as per normal. Let me know if you can make it!

Chris"[/quote]

cross-posting for him, he can't see this thread now for some reason..

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, so starting at 1pm and ending a littler early is good for me.

Yeah, this is a unique situation. We'll try to stick to Sunday's as often as possible, its just that this week, we ran into some scheduling conflects with other things going on for me. I'll try not to let this happen to often. :)

Chris