Con board meeting minutes

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
jasonhead

Post by jasonhead »

For the minutes of the 1st planning meeting for San Diego PacificCon visit:

http://www.geocities.com/pacificcon04

jason
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Thanks for posting that jason!

Overall I think the meeting yesterday was pretty productive. It would've been nice to see more folks show up. We only had five people. But the main thing that came from that meeting was that we still have a bunch of work ahead of us! Namely we're gonna need volunteers. Speaking of which, there's another officer of note - BlanchPrez is the Volunteer Coordinator.

Our first order if business is to find a place. Everything else is predicated on that. So I will be calling around to a few places - namely Al Bahr Center, Scottish Rite Center, Towne & Country Inn in Mission Valley and a few other places. But I'd like everyone else to think about places. Some ideas - Girls&Boys Clubs, college student unions, church halls, clubs like Elks, Rotary, Moose, etc. Take the bull by the horns and call a few places! Or at the very least give me the numbers.

Our second order of business is to create a non-profit organization. BlanchPrez has had some experience in that area, so he's gonna start getting that ball rolling.

Next meeting, of necessity, will be the week of June 14th. Mostly cuz I'll be out of town huge chunks of time during the next two weeks. By the next meeting, I'd like to have a place picked out and the Non-profit thing all set up. Then we'll concentrate on publicity and volunteers and GMs and schedule of events.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Looking at the notes, the only thing I would suggest is trying to recruit as much non-D20 as possible. While D20 is popular, it will be easy to get GM's for. We will have to actively recruit Non-D20 guys. That way we cater to more people. I don't mind it being D20 Heavy, but lets try and have something that appeals to everyone.

Also, we might also consider a miniatures area too. Maybe some contests and tournaments. Get a WH40K Rogue Trader tournament or something like that. GW is good about sponsoring stuff like this and we can get their people to run it for us even.

I could use my connections with DP9 to get some company support here and there.

Jonathan
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I think we should stick to RPGs this time out. Cuz if you let the mini-players in, then come in the CCG players, and that means less tables for RPGs.

Just my opinion.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Count Zero"]Looking at the notes, the only thing I would suggest is trying to recruit as much non-D20 as possible. While D20 is popular, it will be easy to get GM's for. We will have to actively recruit Non-D20 guys. That way we cater to more people. I don't mind it being D20 Heavy, but lets try and have something that appeals to everyone.[/quote]

Agreed. We won't be only D20 games. But we have to face the fact that D20 will be the most popular game system (and D&D will be the most popular game within that group).

[quote]Also, we might also consider a miniatures area too. Maybe some contests and tournaments. Get a WH40K Rogue Trader tournament or something like that. GW is good about sponsoring stuff like this and we can get their people to run it for us even.[/quote]

We discussed that last night and decided that we wanted to keep it simple this year. RPG's only. Keep our focus narrow and shoot for expansion next year. Although there is the possibility of a mini-painting workshop or something like that.

[quote]I could use my connections with DP9 to get some company support here and there.[/quote]

That would be swell! Perhaps someone can run a demo of Tribe 8 or Heavy Gear or something.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'll just take this opportunity to say that if you have ANY contacts at all within the RPG community, by all means, call them! See if they would be interested in running a demo of their games. Don't wait for me to give you permission. Do it!! Then let us know here what you find out.
The Gonz

Post by The Gonz »

I'm sorry that i flaked on the meeting. i had to work late and couldn't make it all the way to chula. But i will volunteer to do anything i can to help. I have that production compnay and some time ot donate let me know by e-mail officers. Sorry again, i WONT BE FLAKY if you need help, i jus hadn't been on the boards for awhile and i didn't see the date until about a day before. Like the name though.
MarktheAnimator
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by MarktheAnimator »

xx
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

I'm fairly sure Winter can host a web-page for us gratis.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."