Goodman Games to do BRP Cthulhu Adventure Line

All kinds of spooky goodness. A forum for the discussion of horror RPGs.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Goodman Games to do BRP Cthulhu Adventure Line

Post by SpaceMonkey »

http://www.goodmangames.com/7001preview.html

Sounds cool - Goodman has at least proven they can take a well-known style and run with it, so I'm optimistic. The first one sounds cool also.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

This is cool! I like Goodman. A quality company to be sure.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

And from what i hear Chaosium could use the licensing money, so that's good also...
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Weird for Goodman to publish something for BRP, but I guess it fits in with their old-school aesthetic. And yeah, they do good stuff, so I'm told, so this should be worth checking out (I'm similarly curious about their 4E "Points of Light" setting).
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]Weird for Goodman to publish something for BRP, but I guess it fits in with their old-school aesthetic. And yeah, they do good stuff, so I'm told, so this should be worth checking out (I'm similarly curious about their 4E "Points of Light" setting).[/quote]

Well, they can't do 3.5 edition/ regular D20 anymore since the GSL makes them choose between that and 4th (and they have already chosen 4th). So I think it makes sense there - might as well do the original system rather than some random oddball or systemless one. If they are going to do a 4th supplement for CoC I sure haven't heard about it.. and I don't think it likely.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="devlin1"]Weird for Goodman to publish something for BRP, but I guess it fits in with their old-school aesthetic. And yeah, they do good stuff, so I'm told, so this should be worth checking out (I'm similarly curious about their 4E "Points of Light" setting).[/quote]

I was just looking at their site, and I don't think they're creating a specific 4E setting. Their DCC modules are still rolling right along, and all set in their generic "Known World" setting (I can't remember the actual name of the world).

Personally, I love Goodman. I haven't seen a product of their's yet that I haven't liked in some form. While it's likely I won't ever buy it, I believe they are a good company to do this CoC supliment.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]I was just looking at their site, and I don't think they're creating a specific 4E setting. Their DCC modules are still rolling right along, and all set in their generic "Known World" setting (I can't remember the actual name of the world).

Personally, I love Goodman. I haven't seen a product of their's yet that I haven't liked in some form. While it's likely I won't ever buy it, I believe they are a good company to do this CoC supliment.

Chris[/quote]

True, "Points of Light" is system-neutral, but I'd say it's clearly inspired by 4E's Points of Light theme. And it's only $13 for a 48-page thing, so if I can come up with the barest excuse to get it, I probably will. It must be good -- Grognardia gave it 5 out of 5 Polearms!

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Well, they can't do 3.5 edition/ regular D20 anymore since the GSL makes them choose between that and 4th (and they have already chosen 4th). [/quote]

I thought the deal was you couldn't produce the same GAME/SETTING under both 3.4 and 4th, but as long as you started a whole new line, you were ok (which means Goodman's Dungeon Crawl series can continue on, and their Points of Light [if it is indeed 4th] can also continue on)... Did I get that wrong?

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="mordraine"]I thought the deal was you couldn't produce the same GAME/SETTING under both 3.4 and 4th, but as long as you started a whole new line, you were ok (which means Goodman's Dungeon Crawl series can continue on, and their Points of Light [if it is indeed 4th] can also continue on)... Did I get that wrong?[/quote]

hm.. my understanding was that they had to do one or the other on a company-wide scale, but the latest faq on wizards.com seems to indicate otherwise:

[url]http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080502[/url]

So I guess I'm remembering the original license terms (or heard it wrong originally). Here's relevant text from the (I believe current) GSL:

[quote="&quot"]6.1 OGL Product Conversion. If Licensee has entered into the “Open Gaming License version 1.0” with Wizards (“OGL”), and Licensee has previously published a product under the OGL (each an “OGL Product”), Licensee may publish a Licensed Product subject to this License that features the same or similar title, product line trademark, or contents as such OGL Product (each such OGL Product, a “Converted OGL Product”, and each such Licensed Product, a “Conversion”). Upon the first publication date of a Conversion, Licensee will cease all manufacturing and publication of the corresponding Converted OGL Product and all other OGL Products which are part of the same [b]product line[/b] as the Converted OGL Product, as reasonably determined by Wizards (“Converted OGL Product Line”). Licensee explicitly agrees that it will not thereafter manufacture or publish any portion of the Converted OGL Product Line, or any products that would be considered part of a Converted OGL Product Line (as reasonably determined by Wizards) pursuant to the OGL. Licensee may continue to distribute and sell-off all remaining physical inventory of a Converted OGL Product Line after the corresponding Conversion is published, but will, as of such date, cease all publication, distribution and sale (and ensure that third party affiliates of Licensee cease their publication, distribution and sale) of any element of a Converted OGL Product Line in any electronic downloadable format. For the avoidance of doubt, (a) any OGL Product that is not part of a Converted OGL Product Line may continue to be manufactured, published, sold and distributed pursuant to the OGL; and (b) this Section 6.1 will survive termination of this Agreement.[/quote]

.. [emphasis mine] so it does appear to be product line related now, not company based. I do remember company-wide choice being the case originally though, and a major reason a lot of 3rd party publishers didn't join up (there were others though, namely WOTCs wording that they can change the GSL whenever they want and everyone has to abide by the newest version, etc). Also, WOTC gets to decide what a 'product line' is, so there's that.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"].. [emphasis mine] so it does appear to be product line related now, not company based. I do remember company-wide choice being the case originally though, and a major reason a lot of 3rd party publishers didn't join up (there were others though, namely WOTCs wording that they can change the GSL whenever they want and everyone has to abide by the newest version, etc). Also, WOTC gets to decide what a 'product line' is, so there's that.[/quote]
Yeah, the shift from company to product line was a big deal, as I recall, in the evolution of the current GSL. Restricting companies would've just let to the formation of more companies, anyway -- Goodman Games goes on with 3.5 while while their subsidiary Goodmen LLC publishes 4E stuff -- so this may have been a case of WotC/Hasbro* playing it smart.

*Oops, sorry -- I mean [i]Ha$-dough[/i].

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]Yeah, the shift from company to product line was a big deal, as I recall, in the evolution of the current GSL. Restricting companies would've just let to the formation of more companies, anyway -- Goodman Games goes on with 3.5 while while their subsidiary Goodmen LLC publishes 4E stuff -- so this may have been a case of WotC/Hasbro* playing it smart.

*Oops, sorry -- I mean [i]Ha$-dough[/i].[/quote]

Yeah, I think I got that glazed-eyes look and stopped paying a lot of attention at some point due to all the lawyer-speak... I probably read about that particular license revision and said 'well, that's good' then forgot about it ;)

Still, I for one would like to see the same product with both 3e/OGL and 4e/GSL content - would be handy, and a nice 'bridge' to get folks into 4th, I would think - but that does not appear to be forthcoming (unless WOTC revises again in a positive direction).

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]And from what i hear Chaosium could use the licensing money, so that's good also...[/quote]

teah...goodman is not the only one

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'm confused... what "Points of Light" setting are you talking about?

The only thing I can find on their site about ANY kind of setting is the one they use in their DCC adventures. It's the SAME one they used in their 3.0-3.5 adventures, they're just continuing with it in the 4E adventures.

Now, they have posted news that they are discontinuing all their 3.5 products, but I can't find anything about a 4E specific setting.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

This:

That could very well be the implied setting of their DCC stuff, for all I know. It's system-neutral, but the mere fact that it's called "Points of Light" is a pretty clear indicator, IMO, that they're going after the 4E market with it.
Mike Olson