Being PC

Nuke an unborn gay whale... for Jesus!
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Being PC

Post by opwunder »

Here's something that I found...

This was the essay that won the Texas A & M contest on political dogma definitions

"Political correctness is a doctrin, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm not getting the turd metaphor.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Think about a turd. Picture it in your mind. Now...which is the clean end?
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

So is the debate about the aforementioned thesis statement or about which end of a turd is clean. (forgive me my question mark key has failed.)
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Think about a turd. Picture it in your mind. Now...which is the clean end?[/quote]

The left one, I thought everyone knew that.

No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Dragonkin
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Dragonkin »

I think Ralphie May put it best when he described his experience in performing for the troops in Iraq (I'm most likely paraphrasing here);

"These men weren't concerned with killing African-Americans, or Asian-Americans, or Mexican-Americans. They seemed content with just killing . . . Americans! If they don't feel the need to make the distinction, I don't know what our problem is."

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Dragonmaster Zoc »

Political correctness is about asking for some base level of respect by first offering some small amount in exchange. Why should I bother to listen to someone who can't even be bothered to try to not offend me? It's not even about being up-to-date with your terminology; this is an area where intent is much more important than action.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Dragonmaster Zoc"]Political correctness is about asking for some base level of respect by first offering some small amount in exchange. Why should I bother to listen to someone who can't even be bothered to [i]try[/i] to not offend me? It's not even about being up-to-date with your terminology; this is an area where intent is much more important than action.[/quote]

The only people who ever seem to have an issue with political correctness seems to be the people who are upset they can't be assholes all the time and sometimes have to be nice to people they don't like. Generally, the people they don't like is someone who is a different sexual orientation, has a different religion, a different skin color, or feels they are cheated by the system because they have never thought about taking advantage of the system which was put in place to specifically help them.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

There has to be something more substantial to that essay...Maybe I'm being too hopeful
Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Drew »

Here I thought these was going to be a flame war between Mac addicts and PC enthusiasts. ;)
In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Hmmmmm, I guess I should have inderlined Texas when I posted this. I thought the fact that it won in a contest in Texas said it all...oops, I mean one of the southern United States...
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner