Guess that RPG!

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Dragonmaster Zoc »

[quote="cczernia"]Correct, and for the record it is 2020 :mrgreen:[/quote]

I thought it might have been Cyberpunk, based on the similarities to Shadowrun, but I figured both were far too mainstream to be posted in this thread.

I wish I had a scanner.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="mordraine"]Nope. Way more obscure than White Wolf.[/quote]

There was some Ravenloft monster book which was written like some monster hunter's diary. I wanna say Von Ritchen's something or another, but I honestly don't remember the title.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="devlin1"]This sums up about 75% of Aces & Eights for me, to be honest.

"So [i]that's[/i] what a palomino horse looks like!"

"Sweet! Rules for running a jury trial!"

"Wow, Accounting is a hard skill to learn -- and appropriately so, for this is a Wild West game, where skill in Accounting should be highly valued and difficult to obtain!"[/quote]

I am continually amazed at the useless things in RPG books. It confounds me. Combine that with the lack of things that would be essential, and I want to kill someone. It seems like you would do some test runs with your final manuscript.

I have read a number of articles about how game design is a very unique skill and just because you can write, doesn't mean you can design. That idea makes me terrified of ever trying to actually publish an RPG.

The video game industry is even worse about this. Design is actually not an entry level position. 90% of all designers were 3D artists, programmers, or producers first. Additionally, they don't start with design, but with programming and art. So, you have all this money being burned away on art and programming, but you still have no idea what the game is going to be. So, you get an engine built, and then designers have to design within the confines of that engine, which may not work for the type of game the designers are trying to build.

At times it is like a GM being given Call of Cthullu and being told to run Star Frontiers with it, but you are only allowed to use what is in the book. You might be able to pull it off, but good luck.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Count Zero"]There was some Ravenloft monster book which was written like some monster hunter's diary. I wanna say Von Ritchen's something or another, but I honestly don't remember the title.[/quote]

It's not anything published by TSR. Or Wizards. It was published in the 2000's by an obscure game company. I'm not even sure if they are still active. Their website is woefully out of date.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!