Tijuana = safe?

Nuke an unborn gay whale... for Jesus!
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Tijuana = safe?

Post by ekomega »

I thought I'd bring this topic up, due to the recent series of murders and decapitations happening just across the fence. Do you think Tijuana is safe?

My answer is no, it's not safe. It never has been, and it has recently become much less safe.

I have to get medicine for one of my sick pets, and was planning on going this week, but I'm not sure anymore. I only ever go to the farmacias within 500 feet of the fence, and basically go in and out of Mexico, and only go in the morning (10-12). In your opinion, is this safe?
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

No, but neither are parts of San Diego, driving, eating rare beef, etc. I suspect the chances of getting hit by a bus waiting to cross the border are significantly higher than anything bad happening to you on this trip.

Unless you're involved with the drug trade.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

If you're crossing the border to buy cheap prescriptions, some tamales, and maybe toss back a few beers, TJ is probably about as safe as some of the rougher parts of San Diego.

If you're going down there to get shitfaced, it's somewhat less safe. The cops tend to be dicks, and I always got the feeling that a big segment of the local criminal economy revolved around fleecing tourists.

If you're going down there to buy/sell drugs, it's pretty massively fucking unsafe.

IMHO, anyways. I haven't been down there in about four years.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

[quote="smartmonkey"]If you're crossing the border to buy cheap prescriptions, some tamales, and maybe toss back a few beers, TJ is probably about as safe as some of the rougher parts of San Diego.

If you're going down there to get shitfaced, it's somewhat less safe. The cops tend to be dicks, and I always got the feeling that a big segment of the local criminal economy revolved around fleecing tourists.

If you're going down there to buy/sell drugs, it's pretty massively fucking unsafe.

IMHO, anyways. I haven't been down there in about four years.[/quote]

I think part of the problem is that they're cracking down on cops who fleece tourists, who, even though they were usually pieces of shit, occasionally stopped people from trafficking drugs and murdering each other.

Going down there to get drunk is one of the stupidest things you can do, considering that spitting on the street is a crime. They take plenty of tourists to jail for that, even though they'll usually let you go for $40. Well, that's how it used to be, and I'm not sure anymore.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Wintermute"]Unless you're involved with the drug trade.[/quote]

QFT.

TJ is about as unsafe as it's always been. I'm not a big fan of the city, but from what I see, these recent spates of murders are all drug-gang-war related.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mordraine"]QFT.

TJ is about as unsafe as it's always been. I'm not a big fan of the city, but from what I see, these recent spates of murders are all drug-gang-war related.[/quote]

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081014/wl_afp/mexicocrimeusalert[/url]

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

There was a power vacuum left in the cartels lately and now there's infighting. As long as you're not a part of it, I wouldn't worry in the least. If you happen to get caught in the middle of some kind of gang war, I'm going to say you were probably about to get struck by lightning, anyway. No one crossing the border for cheap medicine probably has enough money to be worth kidnapping, either. None of the problems they're having concern you. It'll be fine.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson