Dangerous book 4 boyz

All kinds of spooky goodness. A forum for the discussion of horror RPGs.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Dangerous book 4 boyz

Post by Skyman »

Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

I don't know which is more dangerous...

That you posted this link in the first place
or
the father in the video.. :razz:

Or is that, "I don't know which is more creepy?".. :confused:
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I saw the author on the Daily Show or the Colbert Report. The guy really strange.

I don't know why this is just focused on boys. I haven't met a little girl yet that wouldn't be interested in that sort of stuff. It really bugs the hell out of me that we still have this idea that boys should be rough and tumble and girls should just be pretty and talk and play with dolls. I mean after all, invisible inks and secret messages... how can you not get more girly. :P
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Choose Both it's the safe bet. I know on my end. I am creepy so ur safe there

CZ I don't know why but I figure it was mocking gender issues of the 50's in a Silverman-esque pc satire
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Skyman"]CZ I don't know why but I figure it was mocking gender issues of the 50's in a Silverman-esque pc satire[/quote]

Actually, I have seen the author on the Colbert Report. He states that boys explore the world different way than girls, so there are special things that boys need to do. I don't really agree with that.

He does argue that there used to be these activities like the invisible inks and how to build a treehouse that were sort of passed down from older boys to younger boys, and that seem to have been lost. Which, I don't disagree with, but he argues it from the standpoint that it is just for boys. As if, girls wouldn't be interested in this sort of thing because they are girls.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I have a book called Why Gender Matters that I've just finished and I highly recommend it to you, CZ. Girls and boys do tend to be neurologically different and interact with the world differently.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Dragonkin
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Dragonkin »

That's a given. The whole Mars/Venus thing. Not that that reference ever made sense to me. Men are barely capable of sustaining human life, while women are toxic and supr-heated?

Well, no . . . I can see that. :wink: :razz:

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I wish I were superheated. I don't think my toes have been warm since I was born.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Scaramanga
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Scaramanga »

[quote="Neuro"]I have a book called Why Gender Matters that I've just finished and I highly recommend it to you, CZ. Girls and boys do tend to be neurologically different and interact with the world differently.[/quote]
Also, women have boobs. You know, just in case anyone was confused.

:biggrin:

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Neuro"]I have a book called Why Gender Matters that I've just finished and I highly recommend it to you, CZ. Girls and boys do tend to be neurologically different and interact with the world differently.[/quote]

There are differences, but most of them are cultural. More than anything, in my experience working with kids, there are different ways in which all people learn, regardless of gender. While I don't deny that boys and girls do learn a bit differently due to brain chemistry, the idea that things are "just for boys" is insulting. When I look at the things that are just for boys, I wouldn't have been interested in most of them as a kid.

Most of our "boy activities" and "girl activities" are cultural. Working at a camps, you would see the girls love the "dirty boy stuff" and the boys like the "girl stuff". All of it really depended on how the adults reacted to the activities. We had this thing call the adventure hike, which was basically a hike through a muddy, creek where you walked out looking like some crazy tribesman from a Tarzan movie. Girls got into it as much as the boys did, as long as the staff were into the activity. If you had staff person that wasn't into it, then the types of kids that tend away from that sort of thing would not be into it either. It was the same with arts and crafts and social activities. Gender rarely mattered in those situation.

Yes, there are differences, but I doubt they are so drastic that a girl who is properly encourage couldn't get the same benefit from an activity as a boy does and vice versa.