Best RPG Supplement

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Another one of those threads.

So my favorite all-time RPG supplement is The Starfleet Operations Manual for Star Trek. The perfect mix of background and rules. Cool stuff like what happens during red and yellow alert, away team guidelines, fleet deployment and starbase descriptions-all pure source and solid stuff as close to Trek canon as could be. The "About Your Tricorder" section is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Written in the Lcars style (curved numbered borders seen in various Trek control panels), it mixes the writing from the POV of a text for SF officers with game stats without a hitch. Very cool.

And the pure rules stuff has alien races, ships, expanded skills and traits, and new combat options. Quality rules for the best RPG system available. 98 pages, how did they pack all that stuff in there? And hardback. I like the idea of a 98 page hardback. Awesome production values as well. Best looking RPG line on the market.

My only complaint is that it's published by Decipher. They have no fucking idea how to publish RPGs. I want to kick warren Holland in the nuts.

So, you got a favorite supplement?

(not a core rulebook)
Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

Delta Green.

Its kind of blurry, because its setting for Call of Cthulhu, but it changes the flavor of the game quite a bit.

The level of detail is *enormous*, and the research done on government agencies alone is well worth the read.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Tough one...

I'm going to have to go with the Sidereals fatsplat for Exalted. It introduced a new character type that kicks much ass, has all sorts of nifty stuff on supernatural martial arts, and it fleshed out the celestial buerecracy... all in all, it made the heavens of Exalted much, much cooler...
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

This one is easy. Lords of the Known World for Fading Suns. The book is about to fall apart I've read and looked up so many things. I probably reference it as much as the corebook.

Runner Ups:

Guide to the Camarilla (Vampire tM)
Manacle and Coin (Exalted)
Spacers Guide (Jovian Chr)
Guide to the Technocracy (Mage: tA)
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Jake
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Jake »

I’m going to have to go with the old Rebel Alliance Field Manual for the old Star Wars. It had a lot of real cool information on jury rigging equipment. Things like adjusting the beam width of you blaster to increase you to hit dice but lower your damage. Plus anything you rolled extra dice they were of a different color then the rest and if you got a 1 or 6 or something on them your gear broke down. It really captured the rag-tag feel of the rebel alliance.
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

WEG Star Wars rocked.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I loved the AD&D 2nd edition thief's handbook as a kid. My favorite non-game company resource is probably Jane's Gun Recognition Guide.

Favorite Supplement, tho? Hmmm... probably Shadowrun's Tir Taingere splat.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Wintermute"]My favorite non-game company resource is probably Jane's Gun Recognition Guide. [/quote]

I have a book like this by the Diagram Company called "Weapons." It starts with a rock and end with atomic missiles. It is a great resource.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

There are just WAY WAY too way to pick just one. I do not not even think I could do a top 10.....

:)

C
~twisting reality so you do not have to~
:nutkick:
"It's like rock, paper, scissors, crippling blow to the groin. Crippling blow to the groin always seems to win."- Wintermute
Jake
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Jake »

[quote="Wintermute"]I loved the AD&D 2nd edition thief's handbook as a kid.[/quote]

That would have been my second choice. I just loved all that gear. I don't know how many characters of mine had a "sword-stick".

Foxbat
Cunning Rogue

Post by Foxbat »

I have lots of favorites:

AD&D Ninjas Handbook
Mechwarrior Intelligence Operations
Battletech Objective Raids
GURPS Mecha (because I love numbers)
GURPS Cyberpunk

Jane's All the World's Infantry Weapons
Small Arms of the World

Daniel
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

I loved the Objective Raids book. Hotspots was another one kind of in the same vein. I'd still be playing Battletech if the rules weren't so clunky. Kind of funny how what was acceptable to then in terms of rules doesn't work for me now.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Back in my AD&D days the "Arms & Equipment Guide" was great. New Items and a better description of existing ones.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

White Wolfs: Mage - The Sorcerers Crusade had a supplement called the Swashbucklers Companion... all sorts of nifty stuff on renaisance life, dueling, and court politics...

Guide to the Technocracy has to be one of the coolest books in my collection.

And, uh.. meh... The d20 Forgotten Realms Gazeteer. It was the first really cool setting supplement for 3rd edition, even if it had started going all meta-plotty. The prestige classes in there still make me drool.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="smartmonkey"]White Wolfs: Mage - The Sorcerers Crusade had a supplement called the Swashbucklers Companion... all sorts of nifty stuff on renaisance life, dueling, and court politics...[/quote]

The entire Mage:SC line was amazing. Infernalism: The Path of Screams (the M:SC book on demons and cults) was probably the best book on the subject out of all the WW stuff.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote]The entire Mage:SC line was amazing. Infernalism: The Path of Screams (the M:SC book on demons and cults) was probably the best book on the subject out of all the WW stuff.[/quote]

And it's the one book of the series I lack. Damnit. I made a habit of collecting them when the WOTC store sold all the WW rpg stuff at close to cost... and I think Path of Screams was probably a bit mature for the store...

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="smartmonkey"][quote]The entire Mage:SC line was amazing. Infernalism: The Path of Screams (the M:SC book on demons and cults) was probably the best book on the subject out of all the WW stuff.[/quote]

And it's the one book of the series I lack. Damnit. I made a habit of collecting them when the WOTC store sold all the WW rpg stuff at close to cost... and I think Path of Screams was probably a bit mature for the store...[/quote]

Yep, they are all great books. The only one I don't have is the monster companion which I'm not interested in. I think the companion has stats for William Shakespear and Machievelli.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Not stats, really. It talks about who they were and what they were probably like, etc... the Borgia family gets a pretty good treatment as well. Theres a whole section on NPC/PC archetypes as characters in Shakespeares plays...

Just damn good stuff.

Northman

Post by Northman »

Arnor for MERP

It was a huge resource with tons of stuff in it. It always fired my imagination.

or the Riders of Rohan for MERP or

The Minatures Handbook for D&D that recently came out. I really like that one.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I would have to say that the Bastet book for Werewolf was always one of my favs. I love big cats (and pretty much all cats and cat-like beings), so being able to play a changing breed of one of them was like the coolest idea ever to me.

Right now I'm kinda diggin on Smuggler's Run for Dragonstar. Lotsa cool ideas for that "fringe of the known galaxy" type campaign. I just wish they had more ships and stuff.

Oh, and the Ratlings book for Legends of the Five Rings (non-d20) is very cool. I just love those furry little guys.

Wait...that sounds bad... :shock:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Foxbat
Cunning Rogue

Post by Foxbat »

[quote="Gotetsu"]I would have to say that the Bastet book for Werewolf was always one of my favs. I love big cats (and pretty much all cats and cat-like beings), so being able to play a changing breed of one of them was like the coolest idea ever to me.

Right now I'm kinda diggin on Smuggler's Run for Dragonstar. Lotsa cool ideas for that "fringe of the known galaxy" type campaign. I just wish they had more ships and stuff.

Oh, and the Ratlings book for Legends of the Five Rings (non-d20) is very cool. I just love those furry little guys.

Wait...that sounds bad... :shock:[/quote]

Keep an eye on this one. He's showing signs of infection...

Daniel

When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="Foxbat"]Keep an eye on this one. He's showing signs of infection...[/quote]

You'll smoke a turd in Jigoku for that! :evil:

"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
DevJannz
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by DevJannz »

These are choices for games that I play.

Official Supplements: Rifts Game Masters Guide. It cleared up alot of issues with rules and it has a complete list of skills, weapons and psychis abilities gathered from all the books. The Book of Magic is a close second.

Unofficial Supplements: Highlander rules for WW on this one. The rules were so good that my WW GM read through them once and let me make one as a character (and it was a blast playing that character).
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Well, if we're gonna go for unofficial suppliments, let me plug the one I wrote:

Gargoyles for WoD. :D

(sorry about the pop ups)
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

I'd like to plug the WotC Mythic Europe supplement for Ars Magica.

Great with the history and the local color.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Hmmm...the best suppliment. That's hard. If modules count I would choose the Tomb of Horrors in the first edition of AD&D. That set the standard for me and gave me the template idea for any adventure.

Presently the CoC Arkham City suppliment is doing wonders.
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

I lost my character within 10 minutes of play in Tomb of Horrors. Squashed flat. Nice dungeon, though. Damn, that was like 20 years ago.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]I lost my character within 10 minutes of play in Tomb of Horrors. Squashed flat. Nice dungeon, though. Damn, that was like 20 years ago.[/quote]

Oh yeah, mine was butt naked in 5 minutes

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

It's a bad place.

Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

"Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog" was one of my favorite AD&D supplements. Nearly 100% fluff, but it's great stuff.

"Mindwalking" for Alternity. The first set of rules to do psionics right.

I also have to chime in on "Delta Green." Very good supplement/setting, incredibly well-written.

"Chromebook 3" for Cyberpunk 2020. Not a single gun between those covers, but with all the other stuff, who cared?

BP
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="Barrier Peaks"]"Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog" was one of my favorite AD&D supplements. Nearly 100% fluff, but it's great stuff.[/quote]

That was a great book. I gotta say, when it comes to RPGs I am an equipment whore.

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
DevJannz
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by DevJannz »

[quote="Northman"]Arnor for MERP

It was a huge resource with tons of stuff in it. It always fired my imagination.

or the Riders of Rohan for MERP or

The Minatures Handbook for D&D that recently came out. I really like that one.[/quote]

I would have to agree with Arnor (which I happen to have). It is a very useful book for running MERP (something I have not playd in a long time).

MarktheAnimator
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by MarktheAnimator »

xx
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Wintermute"][quote:27127486ff="Barrier Peaks"]"Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog" was one of my favorite AD&D supplements. Nearly 100% fluff, but it's great stuff.[/quote]

That was a great book. [/quote:27127486ff]

I gotta agree with this one. I think I may even still have that one, in one of the boxes currently in my parents garage. Great stuff in there. :)

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!