New to San Diego-- looking for gamers

Seeking players or a GM?
Treybor

New to San Diego-- looking for gamers

Post by Treybor »

Hi!

I'm a new transplant to the San Diego area, from San Jose. I'm a Software Engineer at Sony, but my real passion is RPG's, hand drawn artwork, and CGI artwork.

I am looking to join or start a new gaming group in the area. I have been gaming on and off for the last 26 years. Primarily I like to GM campaigns, but I would be willing try gaming as a player. My wife and I are looking for some serious RPG gamers that meet the following criteria:

1. Don't think the written rule is all powerful. (allow for some game customization by me)
2. Prefer to role-play and solve puzzles rather than killing everything in sight.
3. Don't take the game themselves too seriously (game to have fun and socialize as well as dungeon crawl)
4. Are intelligent and polite (don't take hostilities out of the game and apply them to other players)

I would prefer to game either D&D or Champions, but would also be willing to run customized fantasy, sci-fi or psionic campaigns. I have the D20 D&D rules books but still use the 2nd edition rules for many games. I also have the D20 rules for Wheel of Time (if that piques any interest).

Games I have run in the last 5-6 years:
1. D&D campaign:
Based entirely in a self-designed world. More info can be found here: http://www.seansgallery.com/pages/dnd.htm

2. The zero level game:
The Premise of the game was based entirely on the world created by Tad Williams in his Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy (The Dragonbone Chair, The Stone of Farewell, To Green Angel Tower). The players called it the "Zero-Level" campaign because each of them started out as a 12-15 year old apprentice of some sort of merchant
More info can be found here: http://www.seansgallery.com/pages/zero.htm

3. The Zero Level game (2):
A campaign I started in San Jose, but never got of the ground. Based on a world of my own design, the characters started out as a 12-15 year old kids who are driven out of their village by an undead army.

You can find out more about my games at:
http://www.seansgallery.com/pages/gameroom.htm

You can find out more about me at:
http://www.seansgallery.com/ or http://www.seansgallery.com/aboutme.html

Treybor
Welcome to the Treybortorium! Rooms are $100 a night, but padded cells are free!
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Welcome to the forums!

Nice to see another Sony employee, I've gamed with a number of them over the years. Also, a very impressive amount of gaming information on the page you created. In addition to browsing the gamers wanted forum to find other players with similar interests, I'd highly suggest putting together a one-shot game. It's an excellent way to meet potential players, and lets everyone gauge their interest level.

Finally, I believe GameFest is starting very soon as Game Towne (a local gaming store). For a relatively small entrance fee you can play in a large number of games, and meet quite a few members of the local roleplaying community. I know at least a few people from these forums are planning to attend, and you could likely introduce yourself to them there.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Treybor

Post by Treybor »

Thanks for the info on Game Towne. I'll check it out.
Welcome to the Treybortorium! Rooms are $100 a night, but padded cells are free!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

OMG! Welcome to the site. Just follow what Wintermute suggested and you should be fine. One thing you might want to add is where you are willing to travel to play or GM. We have folks from different parts of San Diego, like East County, Down Town, North Park, Oceanside, Escondido and Chula Vista for example. So folks looking for a game can know some of the logistics they can work with you on. Also time and days you'd be free to RPG.

Awsome sites...

BTW, You'll find the address to Gametowne on the Links section of the front page to this website. Along with some other cool game shops.

If you have any questions just post or you can PM me.

skyman
Treybor

Post by Treybor »

To be region specific: I live in Mira Mesa

To be travel specific: I would rather not have to drive more than 15 minutes to get to a game, but this is negotiable. :D

To be time specific: Friday nights or Saturdays would be the only days I could game, as I work all every day until 7 or 8 PM

Thanks for the kudos on the site... I put a lot of work into that, but I've got 26 years of experiences to back me up. So many projects, so little time.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="Treybor"]I would rather not have to drive more than 15 minutes to get to a game, but this is negotiable. :D[/quote]

Depends a lot on how fast you drive. :mrgreen:

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Grr! Another Champions player moves to San Diego after I've moved away!

What'd you guys do, put out an ad in travel magazines? Bribe real estate agents? Why do you persecute me? Why?

Anyway, welcome to San Diego, from Orange County.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="devlin1"] [i]Why?[/i][/quote]

Are you questioning the computer? Why would you question the computer, for it is all knowing and great and has your best interests in mind. The computer has been planning for you since before birth and now holds you in its perfect programming, executing us all in turn, little subroutines perfected to our tasks.

You're not questioning the computer, are you?

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]What'd you guys do, put out an ad in travel magazines? Bribe real estate agents?[/quote]neither. we as a collective make up false personae to post on this forum for the express purpose of torturing you. next week i'll register as [i]captain blue[/i] a new transplant from shreveport, louisiana who's into wuxia, anything bbc airs, hero system, and 'tom goes to the mayor'.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Do you guys really do that?

I was wondering how 143 out of like 280 members were on at one time, when I've never seen more than 15 different names in all the posts.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="ekomega"]Do you guys really do that? [/quote]

Clearly.

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

and yet singulary instead of our appearance of plurality.
Treybor

Post by Treybor »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]neither. we as a collective make up false personae to post on this forum for the express purpose of torturing you. next week i'll register as [i]captain blue[/i] a new transplant from shreveport, louisiana who's into wuxia, anything bbc airs, hero system, and 'tom goes to the mayor'.[/quote]

LOLOLOLOL

:nutkick: Actually, I got told my department was moving to SD, so I either moved or went job hunting....

DNDster

Post by DNDster »

Still got a room in your game? Let me know Where/when/what you're playing.
Treybor

Post by Treybor »

[quote="DNDster"]Still got a room in your game? Let me know Where/when/what you're playing.[/quote]

You're only the second person to contact me, so yeah.. :)

If I can get a game started, it will be held in Mira Mesa, probably on Saturdays. Where are you located DNDster?

Dark Lord Shaitan

Post by Dark Lord Shaitan »

Hello Treybor,

8 year gamer here. Been off the wagon for about 6months now and definitly looking foward to getting back into the game (its in the blood festering, i need my fix). I defintly would like to see about join your, soon to be, group. Let me know, im in the mira mesa area as well.
Treybor

Post by Treybor »

I think I've reached the max for a gaming group right now. I was able to get three players. Those, with me and my wife, are enough for now.

Thanks though.
RhysG

Post by RhysG »

I've been in San Diego since May, and I've been looking for a game to join sometime in the future. I'm in Ocean Beach, play/DM D&D, but I'm pretty much down for any RPGs.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

OB is the best. Keep Starbucks out of OB!!!

Check my thread.