Truth or Consequences - Boot Hill One-shot

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Howdy y'all!

Time's a wastin'! Pack up yer six-shooters and head down to my place on Thursday for a high-falootin' good time!

Er... what I mean to say is, this Thursday is my Boot Hill one-shot. Set in a little New Mexico village called Truth or Consequences. The town's been run to the ground by an evil cattle baron who calls all the shots and owns purty much the entire place. Most folks are bullied by him and his lackeys and the whole place has that feel of downtrodden oppression.

Oooh. Sounds like fun!

Here's the list of PCs:

1. Marshall Augustine Hunt - A retired marshall, Hunt still feels the need to keep the law in the lawless west. He's a brooding man with greying hair, in his late '40s. He is still a good shot but is worried that he's gotten slow in his old age.

2. Finn "Ace" Logan - The penultimate sneaky con-man type. Never been known to turn down a game of 5-card stud or craps. He dresses flashy and loves him the women-folk. Happens to be one of Hunt's best friends.

3. Black Horse - Long time travelling companion of Marshall Hunt, Black Horse is a Cherokee who left his warring tribe long ago for an existence of adventure with the famous lawman. Great with throwing things -- knives and tomahawks are his favorites.

4. Tom "Coyote Kid" Garrett - Really really fast, or so he thinks anyway. Very cocky and arrogant. Dresses in black. Young kid.

5. Captain Henry "Cap" Hollister - A bitter ex-confederate officer. Cap has a patch over his left eye, but it hasn't seemed to diminish his accuracy with firearms. He's known Marshall Hunt for a long time and the two have a mutual respect for each other.

6. "Big Luke" Storm - Large and a little slow is our man Big Luke. Good with the shotgun. Don't like other guns. Loyal to Cap, to a fault perhaps.

7. "Sharpeye Kelly" Megan - Learnt all she knew about shootin' from her sheriff dad, who was killed by a gang of thieves. She hunted 'em down and got 'em good. Now she spends her time getting all the other bad guys good. Wears lots of leather and smokes cigarellos all the time.

8. Marcus "Snake" Slade - A little on the crazy side. But pretty good with a stick of dynamite. Cap knows him from the War, when he was part of a canon crew. Something slipped inside of him during one of the big battles.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I reckon I'll be there. I'm interested in playing Finn "Ace" Logan. Incidentally, wouldn't it still be Hot Springs, New Mexico?
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
plaidrhino
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by plaidrhino »

I'm up for it. I'd like "Big Luke" if'n that's at all possible.
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything...... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="plaidrhino"]I'm up for it. I'd like "Big Luke" if'n that's at all possible.[/quote]

Aw, man! That was my first choice! :evil:

Oh, well. I like the Coyote Kid then. :D

"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I'll take "Snake"....like you couldn't see that comming
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Sign me up for "Sharpeye Kelly" Megan, please.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I'm in. Sign me up for Black Horse.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Wintermute"]Incidentally, wouldn't it still be Hot Springs, New Mexico?[/quote]

Are you calling me on my history, bub? Cuz if so, then I'll hafta say... Beats the hell outta me. I just chose the town name cuz it's cool.

BTW, is everyone cool with coming down to my place for the game? We usually run the Thursday one-shots there. I figured I'd mention that for the newcomers. If it's too far south, we can always do... er... Game Empire?

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Although CV is quite a drive from Temecula, I suppose if'n everyone else is ok with it, I can do a late nighter. :D
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"][quote:2b0aefc258="Wintermute"]Incidentally, wouldn't it still be Hot Springs, New Mexico?[/quote]

Are you calling me on my history, bub? Cuz if so, then I'll hafta say... Beats the hell outta me. I just chose the town name cuz it's cool.[/quote:2b0aefc258]

Heh, right before I left Las Cruces NM (70m south of TorC) they were debating on changing the name back.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="mordraine"]Are you calling me on my history, bub? Cuz if so, then I'll hafta say... Beats the hell outta me. I just chose the town name cuz it's cool.
[/quote]

Indeed I was, [url=http://www.pe.net/~rksnow/nmcountytruthorconsequences.htm#history]here's the history[/url]. Your place is fine with me, I immensely prefer it to Game Empire.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Is there still room? I so want in on this. I'll take Cap. :)

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Is there still room? I so want in on this. I'll take Cap. :)

Chris[/quote]

Yep, still room!

Hopefully we can get started around 6:30 or so?? Anyway, as early as y'all can get there would be good. I know it's hard to get down to CV, what with the crappy traffic and all.

Infernus
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Infernus »

Well, normally I have a game on thursdays but Im guessing that we wont be playing this week (Since the GM is signing up for this game ;p), so would love to get in and be your 8th player if you still have room. Have no problem playing the Marshall.
Its never too early to be a bastard!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Infernus"]Well, normally I have a game on thursdays but Im guessing that we wont be playing this week (Since the GM is signing up for this game ]

Yep, Marshall Hunt is still available. You do bring up a point though... BlanchPrez, isn't Thursday's your usual Hackmaster night?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Damn, I'd really like in on this, but Thursday's not so great for me. Grr.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Infernus"]Well, normally I Have no problem playing the Marshall.[/quote]

Oh this should be good! Our leader will be the biggest BASTARD in the west! The bad guys are screwed :lol:

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Skyman"][quote:a0b6f0fea6="Infernus"]Well, normally I Have no problem playing the Marshall.[/quote]

Oh this should be good! Our leader will be the biggest BASTARD in the west! The bad guys are screwed :lol:[/quote:a0b6f0fea6]

Okay, let's get this straight from the start... Marshall Hunt is a good guy. He is NOT, repeat, NOT a bastard.

Not only that but the Marshall isn't exactly the leader of the bunch, just one of the guys who folks look up to. There's not really a leader of this bunch. Mostly cuz the mortality rate is too high. :)

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

You do know i jest.....ROFL

I just think Infernious has the great ability to turn any character into a magnificent bastard. Because it's always a good time to be a bastard
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]
Okay, let's get this straight from the start... Marshall Hunt is a good guy. He is NOT, repeat, NOT a bastard.

Not only that but the Marshall isn't exactly the leader of the bunch, just one of the guys who folks look up to. There's not really a leader of this bunch. Mostly cuz the mortality rate is too high. :)[/quote]

Well, this should be interesting as I'm playing Black Horse, his long time friend. :)

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Infernus
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Infernus »

lol :D :twisted:

To be fair, some of the characters I've taken were supposed to be bastards! The Angel was a Zealot and the Psionic kid was Cruel....and the Robot was really only a bastard to the Cheerleader ;p

Seriously, wont be a problem mordraine. He actually sounds like a cool character, especially with the setting you described. Was my first choice from the list, so glad he was still open :)
Its never too early to be a bastard!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Yeah, Thursdays is normally my Hackmaster night, but I really want to play Boot Hill, at least this one time. :)

Chris
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Blanch, you need a new avatar. Want me to make an animated one for you? :D
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Blanch, you need a new avatar. Want me to make an animated one for you? :D[/quote]

No, I want you to make a Raven one for me. ;)

Chris

plaidrhino
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by plaidrhino »

This sucks. I just found out I have a dinner with a potential client to go to on Thursday so I won't be able to make the Boot Hill session. Sorry folks.
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything...... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

I wish I could make the Boot Hill game, but *sigh*
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Unfortunately, I may have to back out as well. Money/gas/etc... :nono:
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

No worries guys. Sorry about the circumstances!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Me too! :evil: I was really diggin this idea of the Coyote Kid. I even started writing a fiction about him! :(
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Since people are canceling, can I join in?
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Cthulhu"]Since people are canceling, can I join in?[/quote]

You betcha!

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Unfortunately, I may have to back out as well. Money/gas/etc... :nono:[/quote]

SmartMonkey?....

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Skyman"][quote:3ea941b7a9="Gotetsu"]Unfortunately, I may have to back out as well. Money/gas/etc... :nono:[/quote]

SmartMonkey?....[/quote:3ea941b7a9]

No, if it was SmartMonkey it would be due to a lack of money/gas/etc *and* he wants a cigarette.

Oh, and he won't tell ya he's not gonna show, either!

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I also have to back out.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

My car just died on me....I want to find a way to play
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Skyman"]My car just died on me....I want to find a way to play[/quote]

what, do the automotive gods hate gamers?

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:e02292c849="Skyman"]My car just died on me....I want to find a way to play[/quote]

what, do the automotive gods hate gamers?[/quote:e02292c849]

Didn't stop Uhlan and I from making it to BoC's. Push started it there and push started it back :)

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Skyman"]My car just died on me....I want to find a way to play[/quote]

BlanchPrez oughtta give you a ride since you did him the favor a couple times!

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mordraine"][quote:a9927383e8="Skyman"]My car just died on me....I want to find a way to play[/quote]

BlanchPrez oughtta give you a ride since you did him the favor a couple times![/quote:a9927383e8]

I'd be willing to. I'll be getting the car around 5:30 - 6:00.

Chris

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BlanchPrez"][quote:8ca107f5c5="mordraine"][quote:8ca107f5c5="Skyman"]My car just died on me....I want to find a way to play[/quote]

BlanchPrez oughtta give you a ride since you did him the favor a couple times![/quote:8ca107f5c5]

Chris[/quote:8ca107f5c5]

Ain't it great how I volunteer you for stuff?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm not gonna be able to make it, lousy job. :(
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Man, who's still going?

Winter? You still going to bring an ether-net card? :)

Chris
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Man, who's still going?
[/quote]

Is coming:

Winter

Neuro

Skyman (pending your help)

You

Infernus

Not coming:

Gotetsu

cczernia

Cthulhu

plaidrhino

(that's as far as I know right now)

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

You know, I'd forgotten we were doing this today. I'd been very fixated on waiting for a call back from a recruiter. It's redeemed my whole day!
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Neuro"]You know, I'd forgotten we were doing this today. I'd been very fixated on waiting for a call back from a recruiter. It's redeemed my whole day![/quote]

glad i could help. :)

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="BlanchPrez"][quote:62e73d1b06="mordraine"][quote:62e73d1b06="Skyman"]My car just died on me....I want to find a way to play[/quote]

BlanchPrez oughtta give you a ride since you did him the favor a couple times![/quote:62e73d1b06]

Chris[/quote:62e73d1b06]

That would be GREAT if you could :)

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Give me a call, 619-981-3784, we'll work out details. Remember, I'll be coming from South Park to get you.

Chris
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Great game
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Yeah, that was a ton of fun, thanks Mord!

Chris
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I had a blast... very fun to explore roleplaying's early roots.