Hyphen-Con 14 (2018) - Pimp Your Games Thread [Voting!]

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.

Up to 3 choices per voter! You can't change your vote once submitted, so choose wisely. Go Hyph!

Poll ended at Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:39 am

Dialect (BlanchPrez) - it's own system*
6%
Children of Lilith (Cczernia) - Tribe 8
No votes
The Dragon Epic (Cczernia) - Epyllion
6%
The Expulsion of the Jews: Summer 1942 (Sadohara) - In Nomine*
6%
The Trial of the Templars: Spring 1310 (Sadohara) - In Nomine*
9%
Forests of Night (mrlost) - Star Trek Adventures
3%
Raiders of the Lost Mart (mrlost) - Unknown Armies 3e
9%
Capers (BlanchPrez) - Capers*
No votes
Blades in the Dark (mordraine) - Blades in the Dark
9%
Arabian World (mordraine) - Al Qadim conversion of Dungeon World
6%
Wildfire (Cthulhu) - Tales from the Loop*
18%
Crown of Dust (Cthulhu) - Forbidden Lands*
6%
Graves of the Dread Magi (Savage Slacker) - Dungeon World
3%
Real or Artificial? (Galahad) - Shadowrun 5th
6%
I'm a What now? (Galahad) - D&D 5e
No votes
Pugmire (Brian) - Pugmire
9%
Zombie Capitalism (Brian) - Red Markets
3%

Total votes: 33

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Hyphen-Con 14 (2018) - Pimp Your Games Thread [Voting!]

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Voting time! You get 3 votes (and maybe one on facebook? I dunno, ask Chris).
Voting window ends at 8:40 on Monday morning (the 22nd).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, everyone feel free to pimp your games here! Please remember the following:

* a max of 2 submissions per person
* any game, any game system - we're pretty open around here
* bring your best pitch, because it won't get on the schedule without some votes!
* also, please note whether you would be down to run 2 games if you submit 2 and both are voted in, or if you would prefer only one. Doesn't always come up, but helps us organize it if it does.

Pimp until: October 14th (bring your A-game people!)
Vote: Oct 15th - 22nd (primary vote, run-off afterward if needed)
Prep: from the final vote tally until the Hyph (for those lucky GMs with winning pitches)

Ok, post those pitches!

--Hyph Announce Thread for general questions and info: *this gm wants to run one or the other game, not both

--Hyph Announce Thread for general questions and info: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=11832
Last edited by SpaceMonkey on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Re: Hyphen-Con 14 (2018) - Pimp Your Games Thread

Post by BlanchPrez »

Dialect – A game about Language and how it dies (unique system)

You are a part of an Isolation. A community that has, for one reason or another, been separated. Perhaps you are part of the first colony on Mars who has lost contact with Earth. Perhaps you are one of the robots left behind on Earth to complete one last job after humanity left. Or maybe you are a member of a Compound in the ‘80s. Or you could be a member of a street gang. Whatever the case, you and your fellows are going to tell the story of your Isolation. And you are going to tell it with language, the language of your isolation, your slang, your dialect. You will develop words and phrases that hold special meaning to your community. You will have conversations using these words. And you will tell the story of how your community lives out its isolation, right up to the day it stops. Because, you see, your isolation will eventually end, and with it, your language. But even when your language dies, you will carry it with you in your heart always.

Come join me in creating a language and learning how it grows and eventually dies. Come help me create a Dialect.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Tribe 8: Children of Lilith
A new Fatima has risen and she is called Lilith. Will she unite the 8th tribe or bring it down? Tribe 8 is set in a tribal future where Player Characters are blessed with mystical insight and marked by destiny. They must struggle to build a new society from the ashes of the old, fighting against alien horrors and the Fatimas, avatars of the Goddess Herself.

Note: This is a conversion to the system from Blades in the Dark.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Epyllion: The Dragon Epic

Epyllion is a tabletop role playing game about young drakes who investigate rumors, solve problems, and discover the truth of a growing evil in Dragonia. While you play, you and your friends tell awesome stories, explore what it means to be a drake of Dragonia, and discover the value of friendship through magical, whimsical, and heartfelt adventures.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

The Expulsion of the Jews - Summer 1492 (In Nomine - Angelic PCs)
In the summer of 1492, Spanish Catholicism is ascendant. Moorish Grenada has been recaptured. And Spanish Jews have be given until August 1492 to convert or depart. These events resulted in conflicts, both moral and physical, for those Celestials with skin in the game. Can you provide aid to the mortals? Should you? Will you? And at what cost? (Angelic PCs)

The Trial of the Templars - Spring 1310 (In Nomine - Angelic PCs)
In 1307, almost the entire Order of the Knights Templar were arrested and charged with "supremely abominable crimes", including, in no particular order, sodomy, obscene kissing, and the denial of Christ. After almost three years, the trials are coming to a close, finally garnering the attention of the Archangel Michael. Can you help the Templars? Should you? Will you? And at what cost?

These games touch the hot button issues of yesteryear (and sadly, today) - faith, morality, violence, and discrimination. The game (it is a game) tends to grapple with PC conflict, both internal and external. The GM is a bleeding-heart progressive who respects the experiences and identities of players, despite his own white, straight, male, atheist, Canadian privilege, but recognizes that the content of the scenarios may not be for everyone. Consideration and respect for others are essential elements at the table. Don't be an asshole.

Everyone is welcome (limit 6 players). Only the scenario with the most votes will be run.
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Forests of Night

"Captain's Log, Stardate 6147.3. On our third week of star mapping the Enterprise detected a new supernova, only about twenty years old, on long range sensors. I’ve ordered us into a distant orbit around the neutron star it created and fired off several probes to measure the size and extent of the supernova’s impact on surrounding space. It seems the shockwave has been traveling at about thirteen kilometers per second since the supernova, which means that the shock wave itself has traveled slightly less than a light-year at this point. Mr. Spock is busy analysing the data, and I should have an update soon."

A Star Trek Adventures Mission using the Original Series Crew as pregens: Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, and Scotty.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unknown Armies 3e: Raiders of the Lost Mart

A scenario featuring the night shift stock crew of a big box store that is open 24 hours, whose shelves occasionally manifest dangerous occult objects that they call exostock, and a series of customers from Hell.

Pregens: Tori Hill, avatar of the Captain; Mike Shaw, gimpy veteran; Ann Paddington, worker drone; Darby Carter, college drop out; and Dustin Druthers, occult wannabe.

Note: I am willing to run both scenarios.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, so, I was only planning on submitting one game because A) I only want to run one game (consider this my input on that matter), and B) I really wanted that one game to be Dialect.

However, I just got in the PDF files for this game, and it is super cool, and I kinda want to run this to, so...

Capers

It's the roaring 20's, and Prohibition is in full swing. You and your gang work for the Mob, smuggling liquor into the United States, running speakeasies, protecting your territory and enforcing the rule of "The Boss." But one thing that put you above and beyond the other mobsters out there... you have super powers! A rival gang has set up shop just outside of town, and is trying to move in on your bosses territory. And you ain't gonna let that slide.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I have two games that I would like to run:

1. Blades in the Dark - the original! Become a gang of criminals trying to make it in the dirty, dark, industrial city of Doskvol!

2. Arabian World - an Al Qadim conversion for Dungeon World. Fantasy adventure in a world of genies and flying carpets!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Tales From the Loop - Wildfire
Something weird is afoot in Boulder city. Unexplained fires, missing pets, weird drawings all over town. The grownups think it's just teenagers, but you know better, and it's only going to get worse. You and your friends are going to have to do something about it.

Forbidden Lands - Crown of Dust
A human merchant is waylaid by hungry goblins. In his desperation to survive, he’s told the goblins the legend of the Crown of Dust, and ancient artifact that would give the starving goblin tribe just what they need to get through the harsh winter.

The council of elders met in the night and have made their decision. In exchange for his life, the human will take a small band of goblins to the west into the ash covered wastelands and retrieve the crown, but they soon learn that they are not the only ones who have heard this legend and come looking for it’s power.

I'd prefer to only run one game.
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

This is my pitch to be a player in both Blades in the Dark and Arabian World!

Or:

Dungeon World-Graves of the Dread Magi

Long ago, the College Necromantic ruled this land. Those were dark times. There are regions that still bear the scars.

Now there are rumblings and rumors of the Dread Magi returning. Have they truly achieved lichdom after all these centuries? Can you stop their return? Will their endless squabbling be of any help?

Journey to the haunted wasteland that marks the ancient defeat of these monstrous scholars and investigate the danger. They must be stopped. But at what cost?
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Last call for slackers and procrastinators. Get those last-minute game submissions in; I'll be putting up the voting options at the end of today!
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Wow, You mean I am going to pitch some things to run. I wonder if one of the seals broke on the World Ending Starter. Yes, this is Desmond's (Me) pitches.

Title: Real or Artificial?
System: Shadowrun 5th Edition
Description: A Heart Transplant. New Liver. Replacement Lungs. Your Johnson requests all of this from you, just to save his daughter. Synthetics are easy to make, easy to grab. Fresh ones are just a Joe-Schmoe away. But what about something more. What if they ask for top of the line? Then ask you to install them? The pay is high, the risk is high, but is it worth it when Gangs and Corps alike are all hunting you down for it.

Title: I'm a what now?
System: D&D 5th Edition
Description: Waking up in a dungeon with no immediate way out is one thing. Doing it at the behest of some crazed wizard is another. No one said anything about changing every time you die! You like your wonderful self the way it was. Just need to make it out without dying. Simple, right?

And now, these are Brian's Pitches.

Title: Pugmire
System: Pugmire
Description: Be a Good Dog. Protect Your Home. Be Loyal to those who are true. These are the words of the Code of Man.

Title: Zombie Capitalism
System: Red Markets
Description: Living on the edge of society and the Dangers of Capitalism. You have to navigate these two separate areas to stay alive.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Ok, vote away!

Up to 3 choices per voter! You can't change your vote once submitted, so choose wisely. Go Hyph!
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
cczernia

Re: Hyphen-Con 14 (2018) - Pimp Your Games Thread [Voting!]

Post by cczernia »

Voting has been added to Facebook. You get three votes here and one vote on Facebook. The votes will be tallied from both sites.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I think I may be able to attend for one slot, so... I probably shouldn't vote.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

devlin1 wrote:I think I may be able to attend for one slot, so... I probably shouldn't vote.
Voting is your right and you should practice it.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Ok, just about 12 hours left to vote!

Chris - add in those FB numbers in the morning and announce the games that are being run.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

SpaceMonkey wrote:Ok, just about 12 hours left to vote!

Chris - add in those FB numbers in the morning and announce the games that are being run.
Will do.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Results from Facebook

3 Star Trek
2 Unknown Armies
2 Epyllion
1 Arabian World
1 Pugmire
1 Red Markets
1 Tales from the Loop
1 Blades in the Dark
1 Dungeon World
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Ok, that gives us the following games being run!

Wildfire (Cthulhu) - Tales from the Loop* [ 7 ]
Raiders of the Lost Mart (mrlost) - Unknown Armies 3e [ 5 ]
Blades in the Dark (mordraine) - Blades in the Dark [ 4 ]
Forests of Night (mrlost) - Star Trek Adventures [ 4 ]
The Dragon Epic (Cczernia) - Epyllion [ 4 ] x
Pugmire (Brian) - Pugmire [ 4 ]

Based on what I saw in the game submissions, PK is ok to run both and we don't have anyone else with both of their submissions in the top 6. Mordraine might want to have his Arabian World prepped as a backup in case someone drops out, but otherwise we are good to go.

GMs - get working on those games. Players - think about your potluck and trade options to bring. I brewed last week already ;)

We are a little less than 3 weeks away! General info:

Stuff to think about before Hyph:
* what you are bringing to the potluck (real food is good; not all dessert)
* games & rpg books for the trading table
* boardgames to bring on Sunday
* GMs: your notes & pregens ;)

[[Saturday the 10th - RPG Day]]
Doors open: 11:30 or Noon (hanging out, food, trades, etc)
First Game: ~ 12:30 or 1pm - play to 5pm
Break for more food, etc.
Second Game: ~ 6:00 or 6:30 - play till 10 or 11
Break for more hanging out; some folks leave
Unofficial/sometimes ~Midnight game for anyone still around (traditionally short; ends ~2 or so) [play it by ear] - Mord hasn't been keen on this the last few years. I remain hopeful.

[[Sunday the 11th - Boardgame Day]]
Doors open: 11:30 or 12:00]
Freeform board games & trading & such
Break for lunch (usually go to one of the eateries around; Sunday isn't so much with the potluck)
More Freeform board games & trading & such
End around 6pm or so probably
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

New Hyph Posts are up! November 2nd/3rd this year!
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Feifei

Post by Feifei »

Sorry wrong thread.