Hyphencon 2017::13th Annual - Pimp Your Games Thread! VOTE

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.

Up to 3 choices per voter! You can't change your vote once submitted, so choose wisely. Go Hyph!

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Children of Fire [cczernia] - Tribe 8
10%
Shalam Colony 1887 [cczernia] - Dresden Files Accelerated (old west)
10%
The Revolutionaries [BlanchPrez] - Villains and Vigilantes 3.0
3%
Day One [BlanchPrez] - Torg Eternity
7%
Califa is burning [Savage Slacker] - Apocalypse World 2
3%
Get Shorty [Savage Slacker] - Dungeon World
7%
Yours to Keep [mrlost] - Changeling 20th Anniversary*
No votes
A World with a Bluer Sun [mrlost] - Star Trek Adventures*
10%
Monde de la Bête! [mordraine] - D&D 5th Edition
10%
Countdown [Cthulhu] - Tales from the Loop*
14%
Real Housewives of Arkham [Cthulhu] - Cthulhu Dark*
10%
Did you think you'd be Runnin'? [SpaceMonkey] - Shadowrun::Anarchy*
3%
Anybody wanna say no to saving the world? [SpaceMonkey] - Our Last Best Hope*
10%

Total votes: 29

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Hyphencon 2017::13th Annual - Pimp Your Games Thread! VOTE

Post by SpaceMonkey »

*this gm wants to run one or the other game, not both

Pimping is over; Time for Voting!

Voting Now Open! Here are instructions:

Vote for up to 3 options. Pick the games you would most want to play.

You have slightly more than a week to vote (8 days exactly from when I posted this poll - close to the end of the day on the 22nd), so choose carefully - you will not be able to change your vote once submitted. If we need to do a run-off we will have time after that.

GMs: If there is any error in your post let me know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, everyone feel free to pimp your games here! Please remember the following:

* a max of 2 submissions per person
* any game, any game system - we're pretty open around here
* bring your best pitch, because it won't get on the schedule without some votes!
* also, please note whether you would be down to run 2 games if you submit 2 and both are voted in, or if you would prefer only one. Doesn't always come up, but helps us organize it if it does.

Pimp until: October 13th (bring your A-game people!)
Vote: Oct 14th - 22nd (primary vote, run-off afterward if needed)
Prep: from the final vote tally until the Hyph (for those lucky GMs with winning pitches)

Ok, post those pitches!

--Hyph Announce Thread for general questions and info: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=11828
Last edited by SpaceMonkey on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
cczernia

Re: Hyphencon 2017::13th Annual - Pimp Your Games Thread!

Post by cczernia »

Tribe 8: Children of Fire

Far in the future man kind was enslaved by gods and freed by goddesses. Everything has changed and the people have formed into tribes under the 7 fatimas. However, you belong to the eighth tribe; a tribe of outcasts that have been rejected by fatimas.

Now, the child fatima, Agnes, has been kidnapped by the demon-like Z’bri and it is up to the fallen to help bring her back.

---------------------------------------------------

Dresden Files Accelerated: Shalam Colony 1887

In Las Cruces, New Mexico John Newbrough established a utopian colony a few miles north of Las Cruces. He claimed an angel guided his hands to write Oahspe: A New Bible. The book inspired the founding of Shalam Colony. The colony included farmland and thirty-five buildings. The primary purpose of the colony was to raise orphan children in a strictly controlled environment "to become sinless leaders of the world."

However, Shalam Colony is more than it seems and the White Council suspects a Warlock might be behind it. Dresden Files in the Old West.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Villains and Vigilantes 3.0: The Revolutionaries

It's 1776, and the American Revolution has been going on now for about a year. But, the British are already sick of this conflict, and want a quick, decisive ending. To that end, they have sent Lord Alistair Malice to the city of Roanoke, where he has a devilish new weapon. But you, extra ordinary men and women with skills and powers far beyond those of mortal men, have come across Lord Malice's plans. You must now band together with your fellow Revolutionaries to stop him, before all is lost.

(Note, this will be a low powered Supers game, with characters more along the lines of Zorro and the Lone Ranger than the Avengers, and definitely nothing like the Justice League).

---------------------------

Torg Eternity: Day One

Six strangers are enjoying a boat trip in the East River near Manhattan when what can only be described as bridge made of vines crashes into Queens. Now, dinosaurs and lizard men are storming the streets and New York, killing anyone who get's in their way, while the landscape of New York itself starts to turn into a jungle. Trapped on board the boat, your first goal is clear: Get to shore, and survive this chaos.
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

SORRY, IN NOMINE FANS (all 3 of you). Plans have conspired to prevent Hyph attendance this year.
I withdraw my games.
Last edited by Sadohara on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

Pitch 1
---------
Apocalypse World, 2nd edition

They say Oocla used to be a place of learning; of science; of healing even. Since the Fall it's been none of those things. From the Matthias Death Garden to the B-Ruin stadium, all the way to Fernando's Doom Valley and the Great Drowning Ocean beyond, our people have always avoided the North. But now, with the Tezkat Hombres pushing up from the South, we are desperate for new resources to drive back the invaders; or failing that, a new home that is more defensible. The land of Califa is burning. What do you do?
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Pitch #1

“Yours to Keep” for Changeling 20th anniversary edition follows a small-town motley as they investigate the disappearance of a recently-awakened changeling visiting their community. They’ll have to locate the missing boy, safely retrieve him from the hands of his captors, and make their way back to the safety of their freehold...

Five pregens provided
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Note: I am willing to run either Changeling or Star Trek, not both

Pitch #2

A World with a Bluer Sun, for Star Trek adventures

"Captain's log, Stardate 2712.4 the Anubis left starbase 10 three days ago to begin our star mapping mission near the Romulan neutral zone, when we received a faint distress call from the United Earth starship NX-Atlantis, reported lost in this sector a century ago. I have ordered a general alert, and put the Anubis on an intercept course to investigate."

A Star Trek adventure for the Original Series. 6 Pregens provided
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

Pitch 2
--------

Get Shorty-A Dungeon World mission in the style of The Sprawl

A gnome wizard has been captured by drow and held prisoner in the Darklands at a facility called The Rock. Certain interests want him back. You are a crack team of professionals ready for any mission. You've got to:
-get the job
-extract the target
-get paid
-protect your rep
What do you do?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

OK, so here's my idea -

Monde de la Bête!

Essentially, it's Animal D&D (using 5e). All races will be animal races. Standard classes. But the setting is all animals. Also moving the tech level forward a little (think flintlock rifles and pistols, sabres, dirks, etc, emerging imperialistic nations) I'm hoping this give the game a different flavor. I've had this idea for a while.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Tales From the Loop - Countdown
These googles you've found show your little town in ruin. Do these googles really show the future? Can it be prevented? All you know for sure is, ever since you laid hands on these things, someone, or something is after you.

Cthulhu Dark - Real Housewives of Arkham
With your wealth, your prestige, and your looks, there was no question that you were the most powerful woman in Arkham's vicious elite social circles. Then the Wately's moved to town, and you've seen what real power is. You need to get your hands on it before the other wives do, no matter the cost.

Edit: Only running one game this year. There's too many other submissions I want to play in.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

One more week for submissions! If you are a procrastinator like me, get those games in before this time next week!
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

By the way, I'd like to limit my games to 4 players. I am willing to run both games.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Pitch 1 - Did you think you'd be Runnin'? - A Shadowrun game; Shadowrun::Anarchy Ruleset
Yeah chummer, I know whatcha' mean - seems like ya been geekin' this and runnin' that for tha best young years of your life already. Maybe when that Johnson lass came up with this here gig ya thought "sure, one more and done" did ya? Well ya should know by now that nothin' (and I mean Nothing) is ever that simple, eh omae? Now yer hip-deep in the drekk and you'd better slot and run if you expect to see another sunrise. Somethin' tells me - ya haven't even seen the worst of it yet...

Pitch 2 - 'Anybody wanna say no to saving the world?' - An apocalypse prevention game. 'Our Last Best Hope' ruleset.
Not what you thought it would be. In fact, this kinda blows. The world is ending, and only you can save it. Are there better choices? maybe, but they are all dead, or too far away, or straight-up cowards. No, it falls to your team. You may not be the heroes the world wants, but your damn sure the heroes it needs. The only question left to be answered - are you up to the challenge?
--An rpg of high stakes, with flawed human characters. Can they get the job done anyway?

* GM Preference - I prefer to only run one game if both of mine get voted in. Too many good games at They Hyph for me to not get to play any!
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

If you are more slackery than me* and haven't submitted games yet, then you had better get on it. I'm likely to cut the pimping and open the voting somewhere around evening tomorrow night, but you never know - If i happen to wake up early enough I may cut it before my brewday, so don't dawdle any longer!

* is this a thing? I dunno.... seems unlikely.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Voting time is here!
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Ok, so the polls closed last night and here are our winners:

Children of Fire [cczernia] - Tribe 8

GMs - start prepping your games!
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I only want to run one game. It will be Dresden
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

While we should make cczernia run 2 games (with a cattle prod if necessary) as he didn't follow the rules and state his preference for not running 2 games earlier; we'll be benevolent instead - cause that's how rpg-sandiego.org rolls.*

So, these are the next 2 games in order of vote-counts. I'm not doing a run-off for 2 things though. Any chance either of you GMs want to bow out or anything?

Day One [BlanchPrez] - Torg Eternity 7% 7% [ 2 ]
Get Shorty [Savage Slacker] - Dungeon World 7% 7% [ 2 ]

*meaning we rolled a d20 with 2-20 being the cattle prod and 1 being leniency. That cczernia is a lucky stiff; we should have used our speckled die instead of the frosted one. Grumble.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'm willing to let it be a vote. I'd really like to run a game of Torg, but I'm also willing to live by the will of the people. :)

-Chris
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

So here's my current thinking, after reviewing how many people might be coming and checking with Mordraine on the space available - we may need to run 4 tables per session instead of 3. Both Savage Slacker and BlanchPrez will run their games, and then cczernia said he'd have his game prepped as a backup. That seems like the best way to organize it.

Updated games list (assuming 4 tables per session; we'll adjust if we need to):

Day One [BlanchPrez] - Torg Eternity
Get Shorty [Savage Slacker] - Dungeon World
---Children of Fire [cczernia] - Tribe 8 - cczernia said he would have this ready if we need it.

So, we should be good with the above games. If anyone sees any further issues, let me know. Go Hyph!
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**