Hyph 2013 Turnout & Vote Thread

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.

Hyph-9 RSVP and Scheduling Vote

Poll ended at Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:40 pm

The best date for me is Oct 12/13
5%
The best date for me is Oct 19/20
14%
The best date for me is Nov 9/10
38%
I plan on attending as a player (no game submission)
14%
I plan on attending (I want to submit games to run)
29%

Total votes: 21

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Hyph 2013 Turnout & Vote Thread

Post by SpaceMonkey »

So we have passed the (already extended) game submission date with a total of 3 games (since each of the GMs who proffered games specified they wanted to run one or the other, not both). This may not bode well for the con - I say *may* not because we don't really know what sort of numbers we might have this year (usually we handle that with a combined Voting/RSVP poll).

This year I would like to do an RSVP first, so we know who is potentially coming and how many games we might need. Also, I know some folks have expressed problems with the date chosen, but there aren't a ton of choices around this time of year with holidays & such coming up. I have conferred with Andy as far as availability of his office, and we do have some leeway there to push the date back if there is a clear preference amongst attendees to do so. It also may just be a lean year with The Hyph occupying this later spot in the calendar (or summer Con Burnout, or whatever). I dunno, which is why we need some data.

If you are planning on attending the con this year (or want to) - here is what I need from you:

* Vote in the poll on this thread regarding games & scheduling**
* If you have been slacking on posting a game to run in the Pimp Your Game thread, do it now (my slacker ass included)
* If you have general comments/etc, post replies in this thread

If we can get the above settled by say Monday, then we will know our position going forward. If Hyph-9 turns out to be an intimate affair, so be it -we'll have a blast anyhow!

**For the Poll, please choose one scheduling option and one RSVP option that best fits your current situation. If you are not planning on attending at all, please do not vote.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
mythusmage
One-Armed Skeleton

Re: Hyph 2013 Turnout & Vote Thread

Post by mythusmage »

Keep in mind that Comic Fest (http://www.sdcomicfest.org/) is Oct 4th through the 6th, while Conjecture (http://2013.conjecture.org/) is October 18th through the 20th. I plan on being at both this year.

BTW: Shared with G+ and posted at the Science Fiction and Fantasy San Diego meetup board. Just have a few question for you; what's the cost? Does HypherCon have a web page or site?
AnotherFangirl
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by AnotherFangirl »

mythusmage wrote: BTW: Shared with G+ and posted at the Science Fiction and Fantasy San Diego meetup board. Just have a few question for you; what's the cost? Does HypherCon have a web page or site?
No cost outside of Potluck contribution. No webpage other than this forum. Why? Well... you might want to read the conversation on the scheduling thread about what Hyphen-con really is.
Alice
One of your neighbors to the north - by which I mean all the way to Torrance-ish
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

I can attend Oct 12. FAR CPA Exam on the 18th so obviously I prefer the 19th!
highoffpixels

Post by highoffpixels »

12-13 I'm out of town for an academic conference, but I could make it (along with the some other L.A.-area) folk the other weekends, November preferred.
AnotherFangirl
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by AnotherFangirl »

18 votes total... so far. You might assume that means there have been 9 voters... but actually, from my count at random times during the life of the poll, there were 2 people that voted only for 1 "I will attend or GM" option and 1 person that voted for 2 dates.

I believe that puts the attendance count at 11... and 4 or 5 of us that voted are actually not even from San Diego.... I feel like we are skewing the poll a bit. Just thought you might want to know.
Anarchangel
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Anarchangel »

Hi guys,

I only voted for a date. I think I'm likely to attend and play no matter which date is chosen, but the further back it goes, the more chance I have of having time to submit a game.

It's a minor thing, but Oct 19-20 may clash with Nerd SoCal October Game Day in Pasadena which usually falls on the third Sunday of the month.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

12th-13th is bad for me because I'm gone the previous weekend, and I don't want to make it two in a row.

19th-20th is bad for me because my son's birthday party is the 20th.

I voted for November 9th-10th. I'm still not 100% on attending, but the odds go way up for me. And I'd run a game, or at least pitch one.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Well, the 9th/10th weekend is the clear front-runner at this point, with over 70% of the votes for a date. That pushes it back a bit, but on the plus side we've got some further time to bring this thing together.

I'll update the other threads with the new information. The several of us potential GMs - let's get those options posted! I would say we need 3 tables per slot with our current RSVP levels, so that's still six total at a minimum.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Hi everyone!

Hey guess what? I'm attending. And I'm submitting a game. I've been very lacking in getting over to the forums and replying over here. Bad me.
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

While I can do the 19th, the 20th is a very important Comic-con meeting for me which I can't miss, its also the Volunteer Picnic so if anyone wants to volunteer at the 2014 Comic-Con that's an important day to become a volunteer for Comic-Con 2014. I wish we had done the Hyph before summer. Anyway, I'm interested as always in running something, I've got two submissions. I'm hoping that Redfox and Starwolf will be able to attend.
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

Looking forward to the con! ( quick iPhone edit)
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Probably won't see you guys this weekend. I broke my ankle two weeks ago and still can't get around very well even with crutches.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

that sucks man
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**