Hyphen-Con 2013: It's Comin' Right For Us [Now in November!]

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Hyphen-Con 2013: It's Comin' Right For Us [Now in November!]

Post by devlin1 »

[Mod Edit: To skip scheduling discussion and go to current info, Click Here]

Geez, guys, it's already the first weekend of February -- which means Hyphen-Con is only two months away.

Just throwin' that out there.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Re: Hyphen-Con 2013: It's Comin' Right For Us

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Correction to the above: The Hyph this year will fall in mid-May. KingdomCon scheduled their business the same weekend we usually do the Hyph (again!!). After consulting with Andy on his gracious offer to host once more, and confirming when would be a good weekend for that, we have settled on the weekend of May 11-12, 2013. So, mark that on your calendars folks!

Good News - we have more time to prep awesome games!
Bad News - we have to wait. also the Frogurt is cursed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scheduling aside, we have the standard stuff:

When: Saturday May 11th and Sunday May 12th
Where: Mordraine's Offices (thanks for hosting again Andy!)
What: RPGs and Potluck on Sat, Board/Card/other games on Sun. Game swap (bring your old games to trade) either day, but Sat usually has more people and trades. Prizes & other craziness TBD (not sure we have any sponsors this year).
Who: is running things? We vote! So start thinking about what you want to run (max of 2 submissions per GM please). Voting will happen probably in early April or so.
Why: Because 'The Hyph' is awesome!

Discussion, things I forgot, etc - this thread you are reading right now.
Put your hat in the ring to run games - the 'Pimp Your Game' thread (when it is posted)
More to come later.

--> Make sure to Subscribe to this thread so you will be notified when new stuff happens. I'll be posting to last year's thread so everyone subscribed there will get an email also. I think Andy or Chris or someone was going to Facebook this also.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Re: Hyphen-Con 2013: It's Comin' Right For Us

Post by devlin1 »

Hrm. That's only two weeks before Gamex. Two weekends away in a single month is kind of a harder sell, family-wise. But I guess it means nothing in either April or June, so at least there's a one-month buffer on either side.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
cczernia

Re: Hyphen-Con 2013: It's Comin' Right For Us [May 11-12, 2

Post by cczernia »

Sweet, the Hyph.

I was wondering if we want to put a meetup for this and possibly bring in some new blood? I can limit the number of RSVP and send a message out to a few hundred people. Let me know if this is something we want to do.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

cczernia wrote:Sweet, the Hyph.

I was wondering if we want to put a meetup for this and possibly bring in some new blood? I can limit the number of RSVP and send a message out to a few hundred people. Let me know if this is something we want to do.
I vote yes on bringing in new blood, and no on mass-inviting a few hundred people. The great thing about Hyphen-Con has always been that it's invite only -- you know going in that everyone who's there is going to be cool. So yeah, everyone bring someone new. That'd be awesome. But I'm not into throwing it open to the gaming community at large, because we know how that can often go at regular conventions. YMMV, etc.

But, uh, we'd better do somethin', because now it's just over a month away.
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

devlin1 wrote: I vote yes on bringing in new blood, and no on mass-inviting a few hundred people. The great thing about Hyphen-Con has always been that it's invite only -- you know going in that everyone who's there is going to be cool. So yeah, everyone bring someone new. That'd be awesome. But I'm not into throwing it open to the gaming community at large, because we know how that can often go at regular conventions. YMMV, etc.

But, uh, we'd better do somethin', because now it's just over a month away.
Hyphen-con has never been invitation only. Two years ago a guy showed that no one knew who found the event through the website. It has always been open to anyone who can find the thread. It just seems that way because no one visits these forums and all new people have showed up through invites.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

devlin1 wrote:But, uh, we'd better do somethin', because now it's just over a month away.

Well..... about that....

Seems we goofed and scheduled The Hyph this year on Mother's Day. This is a problem for some people. And with KingdomCon in what used to be our prime scheduling territory and the continuing issues that we keep seeing with scheduling this con in the spring, it looks like we might need to find a better spot on the calendar.

So, Fall seems like a good choice. Sometime after the summer con season but before the winter holidays. The third week in October has been proposed as a likely candidate. This year, that would place The Hyph on the 19th and 20th of that month.*

Anyone have thoughts on this potential change - good or bad? Some October holiday I'm not aware of on that weekend? Joining me in griping that this plan would make us wait months more for The Hyph?

-sam

* and yes, those of you that know me will realize i lobbied for having 2 cons this year as a 'special transitioning proposal'**, but I was shot down ;)

**read: blatant attempt to sneak in more of The Hyph
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

cczernia wrote:Hyphen-con has never been invitation only. Two years ago a guy showed that no one knew who found the event through the website.
While that was definitely awesome, it didn't happen because we made an attempt to publicize Hyphen-Con to the public at large. It was a total fluke. In every practical sense, it's always been invite-only. And I honestly think that's been a big part of what's made it not only good, but also special. It's had a much higher ratio of good:middling than any publicly advertised con I've ever been to. In fact, I can only think of one game at a Hyphen-Con that was just objectively bad.

(If you're reading, Guy Who Ran That 4E Game Where You Made Shit Up As You Went And Complained About Your Players The Whole Time, it was that 4E game you ran where you made shit up as you went and complained about your players the whole time. Fuck that game right in the ear.)

So... yeah. That's my perspective, anyway, and I know I'm not the only one.
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

SpaceMonkey wrote:So, Fall seems like a good choice.
That's certainly true for this year, because we don't have much of a choice now, but I liked having it in the spring. If the first weekend of April won't work anymore, what's wrong with, like, the third weekend of April? Next year, I mean?

For me personally, October isn't great because I already have an annual weekend-away thing that month and the date you're suggesting is likely to coincide with Ben's birthday (actual or observed), but that's just me.
Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Well, Easter is April 20th next year, for example. Easter often makes April difficult. That combined with KingdomCon (both taking up an april weekend and also being another SD con in the same month) makes for scheduling headaches every year now it seems.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Hey gang!

So, I'm just jumping in here now to check up on the Hyph. We're doing it on May 11 and 12?

Cool, I'll mark that down on my calendar then.

Do we know who's running what games yet?

-Chris
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Re: Hyphen-Con 2013: It's Comin' Right For Us [Like in Octo

Post by SpaceMonkey »

things have changed a bit, you may want to peruse the thread.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I have perused the thread, but other than a vague suggestion of October, I don't see any other dates suggested. So, I was stating the May dates posted in the thread title as an attempt to try and spark conversation and see what we can do.

Let me start by asking the obvious question... DOES having it on Mother's Day actually interfere with anyone's plans?

I, personally, don't want to wait until October for this, but that's just me. If that's what works best for everyone, that's cool.

Also, is everyone in on this conversation? I don't see my brother, for example, who's work we host this thing at. Or Simon or anyone of the other's of us that mostly seem to have moved from this place to Facebook except for when it comes to Hyphen-Con. :)

-Chris
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I did have a conversation with Andy, in fact i believe he was the one who pointed out our former date lands on Mother's Day. After discussing, he proposed October (IIRC) and I countered with 'how about both' (which didn't fly).

The hope is that a move to the fall will prevent the scheduling issues we have had with the spring. Andy has approved a late Oct use of the Kore facilities, so that's already hashed out as a workable solution. If you want to suggest another date or whatever you are free to do so - I would rather take what we can get and have an awesome Hyph, as usual (even if I have to wait). I guess the benefit of October is any new GenCon releases will be around for games, which is kinda neat.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, well, if October is when we do it, October is when we do it.

-Chris
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I was ok to have the Hyphen Con on my Birthday and Mothers Day but October is ok too.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Here is something I'll throw out there for everyone to consider. After Games Bowl in January I talked with Jeff (owner of 10th Ave Theater) who said he would like to make the theater/building and place for game. He offered to host rpg/gaming events. We could hold it there and do the Hyph twice a year, quarterly or even monthly. It could still be free and still do a potluck.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

cczernia wrote:Here is something I'll throw out there for everyone to consider. After Games Bowl in January I talked with Jeff (owner of 10th Ave Theater) who said he would like to make the theater/building and place for game. He offered to host rpg/gaming events. We could hold it there and do the Hyph twice a year, quarterly or even monthly. It could still be free and still do a potluck.

:cheers:
Chris that sounds gamer gay to the x-ponential (with extra glitter)! Let's do it, if he is really is sincere about it. IMHO $.02
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

October is so far away. Here's hoping for the 10th avenue venue (its too cool for school).
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'd be down for twice a year. :)

-Chris
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

So when is the pimp your game thread going up? I just got 13th Age last week so that means I have 1.5 months to come up with a scenario for Hyphen Con!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

usually we put up the pimp your game thread a month or so in advance, so it should be up in the next couple weeks or so. That said, everyone should think about what they want to run so they will be ready. usually they thread is up a week or so, then voting for a shorter window then we game (after waiting some more weeks).
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Re: Hyphen-Con 2013: It's Comin' Right For Us Date Change

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[Dates have changed, we had a clear preference for the weekend of Nov 9th/10th in the scheduling thread, so that's when we'll have this year's Hyph. Disregard the prior dates, I will update/correct on the threads.]

Ok, so after a loooong wait, we are finally ready! Here are the Details, let me know if anyone has questions:

When: Saturday Oct 12th and Sunday Oct 13th, 2013 Saturday November 9th & Sunday Nov 10th
Where: Mordraine's Offices (thanks for hosting again Andy!) [Note, offices will be in a new location in Sorrento Valley area, details to follow later]
What: RPGs and Potluck on Sat, Board/Card/other games on Sun. Game swap (bring your old games to trade) either day, but Sat usually has more people and trades. Prizes & other craziness TBD (not sure we have any sponsors this year).
Who: is running things? We vote! So start thinking about what you want to run (max of 2 submissions per GM please). Voting will happen the week of the 5th-12th of October, I'll be posting the 'Pimp your game' thread right after this post. [HERE IS THAT THREAD]

Put your hat in the ring to run games - the 'Pimp Your Game' thread.
More to come later.

--> Make sure to Subscribe to this thread so you will be notified when new stuff happens. I'll be posting to last year's thread so everyone subscribed there will get an email also. I think Andy or Chris or someone was going to Facebook this also.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

So after a long hiatus I'm ready to play some RPGs! I'm marking my calendar for Oct 12. Whats the start time?
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

We generally have a 12-4 and a 6-8 slot, or therabouts. Doors open at 11am. I'll be posting concrete details once i get andy's office's new address (this is all subject to change until he confirms, as our gracious host.)
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Grr. This does not jibe with my schedule. Maybe I can make the evening slot. Maybe.
Mike Olson
Anarchangel
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Anarchangel »

Thanks for that mass email. It was the first I heard of a solid date.

October 12-13 is the weekend after Big Bad Con, so I'll have to wait until the last minute to confirm attendance (i.e. see how much work I had to put off for that loooong weekend), but if I come I'll bring games for pick up play.

(ETA: That said, the SO is keen, so odds are good.)
Last edited by Anarchangel on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

:cheers:
Torrance Anime and Gamers Society(T. A. G. S. ) is stoked for our annual pilgrimage to Da Hyph!

Greetings from Sayler, Brian, Desmond, Rhea, et. al.

Not sure who all is actually making the trip, but I'll see about bringing someone new as suggested(only cool people of course.)
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Re: Hyphen-Con 2013: It's Comin' Right For Us [Now in Novemb

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[Scheduling change information follows. i also updated my prior post above]

[Dates have changed, we had a clear preference for the weekend of Nov 9th/10th in the scheduling thread, so that's when we'll have this year's Hyph. Disregard the prior dates, I will update/correct on the threads.]

Ok, so after a loooong wait, we are finally ready! Here are the Details, let me know if anyone has questions:

When: Saturday Oct 12th and Sunday Oct 13th, 2013 Saturday November 9th & Sunday Nov 10th
Where: Mordraine's Offices (thanks for hosting again Andy!) [Note, offices will be in a new location in Sorrento Valley area, details to follow later]
Who: is running things? We vote! So start thinking about what you want to run (max of 2 submissions per GM please). Voting will happen the week of the 5th-12th of October, I'll be posting the 'Pimp your game' thread right after this post. [HERE IS THAT THREAD]

Put your hat in the ring to run games - the 'Pimp Your Game' thread.
More to come later.

**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Re: Hyphen-Con 2013: It's Comin' Right For Us [Now in Novemb

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Hyphen-Con 2014 - thread has been posted HERE
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**