Hyphen-Con 'Ocho' -- Voting Thread

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.

Choose 3 or less games you want to see run at this year's Hyph!

Poll ended at Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:02 pm

Blackbird High School [Lady Blackbird] - mordraine
2%
Pacific Blackbird Railway [Lady Blackbird] - mordraine
10%
Hero City [Fiasco] - BlanchPrez
8%
Danger Patrol [Danger Patrol] - BlanchPrez
4%
Zombiefest 2012 [Monster of the Week] - Anarchangel
10%
MonsterHearts [Apocalypse World] - cczernia
4%
Lost Colony [Fate] - cczernia
No votes
4-Oracles [In a Wicked Age] - Savage Slacker
2%
Senior Citizen Slaughter 2 [AFMBE] - mrlost
2%
Servitor [Maid rules/40k Rogue Trader] - mrlost
6%
King of the Street Fighters [modified FATE] - mcellis
6%
Rescue the Lady [Empire] - mcellis
2%
Deadlands [Savage Worlds] - Cthulhu
8%
The Laundry [BRP/Laundry] - Cthulhu
4%
My Little Pony: Infernal Affairs [GURPS] - highoffpixels
10%
Dystopian Steampunk Mystery [] - Skyman
6%
Modern Japanese Lovecraftian Horror [] - Skyman
No votes
Return to Classics [D&D 4th] - Galahad
No votes
Cinders in the Void [Gumshoe/Ashen Stars] - SpaceMonkey
10%
Trouble in Duckburg [PDQ Sharp(ish)] - SpaceMonkey
4%
** Can't Decide on 3, but please RSVP me for The Hyph! **
No votes

Total votes: 49

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Hyphen-Con 'Ocho' -- Voting Thread

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Voting Guidelines:

You have 3 votes, use them wisely (you can vote less if you want).
Voting Ends Sunday around noon
Again, please vote even if you can't decide on games, use the RSVP option so we have a general headcount.

Thanks, and get to it! If you need recaps on the games, check the Pimp your Game thread

**GMs - if i mis-typed anything or you want it changed in the poll, please let me know**

Mord - I put in your first 2 options, let me know quick if you wanted a different combo. Since you put in 3 options. Like you weren't supposed to.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Re: Hyphen-Con 'Ocho' -- Voting Thread

Post by BlanchPrez »

Hey, if we've invited people to The Ocho, where do we RSVP them?

-Chris
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Hrm.. since the voting is by a standard simple poll, i don't think we can 'tweak' it manually. I guess if they want to register they can sign in and vote, otherwise feel free to just drop a note in the posts down here and we'll manually add them to the RSVP total so we know we have extra incoming.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
RedFox

Post by RedFox »

RSVPing here. I voted for Pacific Blackbird Hobos, Maid 40k, and My Little Investigators.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Well, for sure one of the people I invited is coming, my dad. I tried to send him the link to this thread, but I'm not sure he would know what to do once he got here.

I've invited three other people, but I haven't heard from any of them yet on if they are coming.

-Chris
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

3 Blanchards at the Ocho? This IS exciting!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Savage Slacker wrote:3 Blanchards at the Ocho? This IS exciting!
It's the rare Triple Blanchard!
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

devlin1 wrote:
Savage Slacker wrote:3 Blanchards at the Ocho? This IS exciting!
It's the rare Triple Blanchard!
A veritable hattrick of Blanchards!

-Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I think I got one more coming, for half the day on Saturday. My friend Ken said he wants to come.

-Chris
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Only one day left to vote. Ends tomorrow at noon.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

also apparently it ends at 1:02 due to daylight savings and the fact that i set the poll timer before we switched over. so... vote if you still want to!

(note, if you haven't done so, you can set DST in your User Control Panel on the Board Preferences -> Edit Global Settings -> Summer Time/DST radio button)
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Ok, and the votes are in!

GMs, get preppin'! If you didn't get in the top 8 (possibly 10) but still want to bring your game, please do so - sometimes things happen and we need a backup. Remember there will also be a 3rd (unofficial) session for those folks that like to stay up late.

We'll have an info thread with more info in the coming weeks, but for now just make sure you mark your calendars for The Hyph, March 31st and April 1st - that's 3 weekends from now.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Two of my picks were voted in! The third... wasn't so lucky, alas.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Does the number of games and the number of spaces they have in them match the expected number of players coming to the Hyph?
Anarchangel
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Anarchangel »

I would ideally like four players for my game, but I will take all five people who voted for it.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

mcellis wrote:Does the number of games and the number of spaces they have in them match the expected number of players coming to the Hyph?
I dunno but there is a total of 49 votes with each person having a max of 3 votes. So it looks like 16 people voted(speculating because some folks could have voted less). So if everyone shows from the start and leaves at the end with 3 games going for each session that is going to be 5-6 players a game...give or take. :cheers:
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Right, and those are just the people who voted, there maybe a few more people coming who didn't vote. Also some people's games might only have space for less players, I know mine did.
AnotherFangirl
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by AnotherFangirl »

49/3= 16.33.... so at least 17 people voted, I would bet it would be safe to guess even 18. I know that Desmond(galahad) forgot to vote which makes that at least 18-19 people showing up.. and we can guess that there may be a few others that forgot/didn't have access/were too lazy to vote.

That would end up being a bit much for 3 games per slot. Wouldn't it be safer to declare the 2 6%(3 votes) as the official 4th (backup) games for each slot?

That would add
and
Alice
One of your neighbors to the north - by which I mean all the way to Torrance-ish
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Don't forget that Dystopian Steampunk Mystery [] - Skyman also got 3 votes.
AnotherFangirl
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by AnotherFangirl »

Darn, missed one. If the voting is uneven, I think that means battle to the death.
3 GMs go on... 2 come out...
or something like...

Whatever the decision I think that 6 games wont be enough... and then there will be confused people milling around the Kore office...
Last edited by AnotherFangirl on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

YEs very true and what has happened in the past is that we have had back ups or like Spacemonkey pointed out people brought something to play in the third session. I personally should know because I've been that guy in the past with the extra game or doing something till 3am... falling asleep at my own game.

If your game got 3 votes then I would suggest letting SpaceMonkey know that you got one comming just in case. Also keep in mind that there is 5-6 players approx. that it included the GM for each game and that historically we have had people only show up for half the day.

Now said that "has there been people who showed up to game but couldn't play in the past?" The answer is yes because I was that dude. I opted out to let some other gamer in on something fantastic. I spent the time getting food and beer for BBQ back then. If it happens again. I'm still groovy to opt out..and if I'm not alone then we have enough for another game:)
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Hrm.. I think we actually did 8 games last year, 2 slots of 4 each. Dunno why i was thinking six this time around. I'll correct above, but we do have 3 games with 3 votes, which would present a problem -however:

We were also thinking about combining the fiasco and hobo games together into one slot. this is because both of those tend to run shorter (in the 2 hour range). If that's done, I think we have a workable solution (also, more gaming!) - so unless there are objections we will probably be doing it this way:

Pacific Blackbird Railway [Lady Blackbird] - mordraine AND Hero City [Fiasco] - BlanchPrez
Zombiefest 2012 [Monster of the Week] - Anarchangel
My Little Pony: Infernal Affairs [GURPS] - highoffpixels
Cinders in the Void [Gumshoe/Ashen Stars] - SpaceMonkey
Deadlands [Savage Worlds] - Cthulhu
Dystopian Steampunk Mystery [] - Skyman

The brothers Blanch - this probably changes things the most for you, so does the above proposition work for you guys?

That give us 8 games, which is what we should have. 3rd slot for whatever people want to bring, and somebody do a backup of some kind. Even if we get 24 people or so, that's 4-6 players per game (depending on what individual GMs want) so should be right where we want it.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Also, i'm showing 18 unique voters on the poll, a few didn't do three votes presumably. Chris B said he may be bringing three other people and I know a couple planning on attending that didn't get off their butts to vote, so that's potentially 23 already and there are always a few up in the air or didn't feel like voting or whatever. Not to mention street and/or google walk-ins ;)

We could have enough for five tables per slot, or just do some games with 6 players (though there seems to be preference against the latter with a least a couple of GMs). I think there are enough tables at Kore to handle 5, and i have some folding tables if we need em anyway.

In that case we would tap Chris C's MonsterHearts game and one of the other 2-vote games. All the rest are GMs already running something with stated preferences against running 2, so maybe Senior Citizen Slaughter or In a Wicked Age (jello wrestle for the honor).
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Right you never know when someone from Guam might turn up at the Hyph. I hear Hyphen-Con is Guam Famous. It's like being World Famous, but it only applies to Guam.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

We're very popular in Guam.
Mike Olson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'm okay with working half a shift.

-Chris
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Can we work out a schedule of when the games are getting run? B/c I've got a conference the same day and need to make an appearance over there in the morning to say hi to the boss (before disappearing until the bar opens).
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mrlost wrote:Can we work out a schedule of when the games are getting run? B/c I've got a conference the same day and need to make an appearance over there in the morning to say hi to the boss (before disappearing until the bar opens).
We often do the scheduling on the day. If you need to run in the second slot (that's what you're saying, right?), that's no problem.
Mike Olson
Anarchangel
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Anarchangel »

What time are the slots? Afternoon and evening, right?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Anarchangel wrote:What time are the slots? Afternoon and evening, right?
Yeah, like noon-ish and 6-ish. Andy usually gets there at 11 to open the door, people show up and mill around for the next hour or so, and then we figure out what's happening when.
Mike Olson
highoffpixels

Post by highoffpixels »

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but here is a link to character gen information for MLP: Infernal Affairs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E4I ... Jv080/edit

Leave a comment on the doc, PM me, or contact me via email (rvichot at gmail) if you have questions.

I'll add inks to pregens as well soon.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

highoffpixels wrote:Not sure if this is the correct thread, but here is a link to character gen information for MLP: Infernal Affairs.

Leave a comment on the doc, PM me, or contact me via email (rvichot at gmail) if you have questions.

Definitely bring pregens. Don't count on anyone making a character in advance. The assumption for these games is that unless making a character is either super-fast and/or an integral part of the game itself (e.g., Fiasco, DRYH, Apocalypse/Dungeon/etc. World, Gamma World), the GM will provide pregens.

In any event, if you want to start a new thread about your game (this goes for all GMs, of course), have at it!
Mike Olson
highoffpixels

Post by highoffpixels »

devlin1 wrote:
highoffpixels wrote:Not sure if this is the correct thread, but here is a link to character gen information for MLP: Infernal Affairs.

Definitely bring pregens. Don't count on anyone making a character in advance. The assumption for these games is that unless making a character is either super-fast and/or an integral part of the game itself (e.g., Fiasco, DRYH, Apocalypse/Dungeon/etc. World, Gamma World), the GM will provide pregens.

In any event, if you want to start a new thread about your game (this goes for all GMs, of course), have at it!
Ah. There will definitely be pregens, but I wanted to give any especially enterprising agents a chance to have fun with it. I will make a thread as you suggested.