Hyphen-Con VII - Places and Times!

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
mordraine

Hyphen-Con VII - Places and Times!

Post by mordraine »

Hey all,

There are several new folks who have never been to The Hyph before and need an address and other details (and several returnees who probably don't remember that stuff as well). So here are the pertinent details for Hyphen-Con VII 2011:

[Mod Edit: Old address removed]

Saturday RPG Day -
Doors open at 11am. Everyone's bringing pot-luck (that means YOU too - yes you), so eating will be going on before gaming. The first session will start around 12:30pm, and will go to around 4:30~5pm. Second session will start around 5:30~6pm and will go to around 9:30~10pm. Any hard-core gamers can stay for the usual impromptu late-night gaming session (usually some off-the-cuff game or other).

Sunday Board Game Day -
Doors open at 11am. Bring whatever board-game you think is fun. There is no schedule. People will congregate and play whatever they want. There is also no pot-luck, so everyone's on their own food-wise, but there is a bevy of restaurants around, from Wendy's to Rubio's to Panda Express, Carl's Jr. Jack-in-the-Box, Subway, etc. etc. etc. We'll probably finish up around 7~8pm.

The facilities are my work offices, so we need to maintain cleanliness at all times. Clean up after yourselves and let's leave this place spotless so we can keep coming back every year! NOTE - the warehouse refrigerator contains Kore owned sodas, so let's try not to drink them. I'll try to separate out ours vs. theirs so there is no confusion, but I thought I'd point that out. :)

OK, thanks everyone and happy gaming!
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Also, don't forget to bring your used games for possible trades!
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

cczernia wrote:Also, don't forget to bring your used games for possible trades!
Oh man, I was just going to post that!!
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Had a good time. Slip Stream was fun and it was nice meeting some new folks
joela

More than once a year?

Post by joela »

Again, had a blast. Thanks again, Andy, for hosting the con and everyone welcoming us newbs (including Devin, who found y'all via Google :jawdrop:

Has there ever been discussion of having Hyphen-con meet more than once a year? Strategicon, obviously, has three cons a year. Same with Dead Gamers Society and its three RPG Rendezvous up here in Orange County.
shockvalue
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by shockvalue »

Thanks for the good times! Dread was a really unique experience, and Slipstream was pure pulpy fun.

-Hudson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Great con everyone. I had a blast as usual. And thanks to PK for coming down at the last minute so I could run my Firefly game.
joela wrote: Has there ever been discussion of having Hyphen-con meet more than once a year? Strategicon, obviously, has three cons a year. Same with Dead Gamers Society and its three RPG Rendezvous up here in Orange County.
We only get the office once a year. We have talked about doing a second Hyphen-con but we would need to get a new location and the only gaming store we had good connections with closes a few months back (Gamers Torch, they provided the prizes). So, if we find another place we would be thrilled to do another con.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Hyphen-Con RAW! All games must be run with the rules as written. No hacks!
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
shockvalue
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by shockvalue »

That would have meant no mega-Jenga tower in the Dread game. Unacceptable!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

shockvalue wrote:That would have meant no mega-Jenga tower in the Dread game. Unacceptable!
Well, that's why it's a separate event. Hyphen-Con can remain the virtual hack-fest it was this year, if people (the people) so choose, while Hyphen-Con RAW would be a challenging exercise in self-restraint.

Anyway. I know it's not going to happen. I just think Hyphen-Con RAW is a funny name.

(Personally, I think the way to obey Hyphen-Con RAW's rules-oriented straitjacket while still presenting a compelling game would be to use a super-old and/or -obscure system that nobody knew or remembered anyway, so even playing it as-written would be something of a novelty. Something like DragonQuest or Marvel SAGA.)
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

Thank you SD gamers for an awesome con! Thank you Mike for inviting us. Thank you Andy for hosting.

D&D's facebook page posted an image today which late-night fiasco 'survivors' will appreciate. I hear demi-liches are making a comeback...

Lights! Camera! Action! Roll 'em!
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

Hyphen-Con RAW would be a challenging exercise in self-restraint.

I would be stoked to run Dragon Age as written. I have a GM screen and everything. BTW, the new video game rawks!

But , yeah hacking and slashing rulesystems is how we roll...:2guns:
Lights! Camera! Action! Roll 'em!
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Thanks for another excellent adventure. How can I thank Kore for the generous use of their office?
joela

Post by joela »

cczernia wrote:Great con everyone. I had a blast as usual. And thanks to PK for coming down at the last minute so I could run my Firefly game.

We only get the office once a year. We have talked about doing a second Hyphen-con but we would need to get a new location and the only gaming store we had good connections with closes a few months back (Gamers Torch, they provided the prizes). So, if we find another place we would be thrilled to do another con.
Well, if y'dall we be willin' to drive up here to Orange County, ah'm sure DiceHouse would be willin' to open its doors :cheers:
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

mrlost wrote:Thanks for another excellent adventure. How can I thank Kore for the generous use of their office?
All the leftover snacks and sodas are payment aplenty!
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

I'm not sure there's enough cream in the world to help you if you get the RAW Hyph, that sounds like it Burns!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Hyphen-Con RAW: Bring Your Cream!
Mike Olson