Hyphen-Con VII - Pimp Your Game!

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
mordraine

Hyphen-Con VII - Pimp Your Game!

Post by mordraine »

OK, everyone who wants to run a game at The Hyph this year, post your ideas here, and then we'll start a poll for the games.

The only restriction is - only suggest a max of TWO game ideas.

I only have one: Operation Blackbird - Can the world's best secret agents stop the evil organization B.E.D.L.A.M. from taking over the world with their Ultra-Lazer Cannon?! 60's style spy adventure using the Lady Blackbird system.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

Three hours slots, correct?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Sadohara wrote:Three hours slots, correct?
Four. Five, if you're Albert. ZING.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

So I am still a little bit unsure if I can make it on that first weekend in April, but if I can make it I want to pimp some games. What is the cut off date to submit some game proposals?
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Yes - early afternoon session and evening session, schedule is for four hours each.

My idea-pimping: ----------

Ducktales: the RPG session (using PDQ) - There's trouble in Duckburg!*

Dread Not: (using Dread, and 2 jenga towers) - England, 1888. Bandits, Death, and a Runaway Train... then things start to get BAD.

-------------------------------------

I don't think i want to run both of these (too many awesome games for me to play), but i would like to know what people would be more interested in.

*seriously though, when isn't there trouble in Duckburg? That place is like a magnet for all kinds of shit going down. My current working theory is they built it on top of a great old one's head or something.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mcellis wrote:So I am still a little bit unsure if I can make it on that first weekend in April, but if I can make it I want to pimp some games. What is the cut off date to submit some game proposals?
Pff... let's say... March 10th? Then we'll do 10 days of voting, which leaves 10 days to get your shit together. How does that sound?
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

devlin1 wrote:Pff... let's say... March 10th? Then we'll do 10 days of voting, which leaves 10 days to get your shit together. How does that sound?

Like a decisive plan sir! Let's go with it!
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, here's my two game pitches.

Danger Patrol, an awesome free-form RPG where you play members of a retro-future super-police organization called... THE DANGER PATROL!

And:

The Maze of Many: You're party of three has learned of a place with a store of magical items and treasure the likes of which no one has heard before. There are only two rules. Each person only gets to take out one item. And you must face versions of yourselves from parallel universes. Can your group beat the others to the center of... The Maze of Many? (A D&D 4e Game)

-Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Exalted: Dreams of the First Age - Before the Usurpation the Solar Exalted ruled and created one of the greatest civilizations man has ever seen. Play a god during the height of their reign when they seek out one of their own who is newly exalted. (using FATE )

Firefly: Back in the Black - River has taken off in a shuttle and left a note "went to hang with Crissy." The crew has to chase after her (again) but do they risk their delivery in the process (using Cortex+)

Mord, you should submit Gamma World.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Anarchangel
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Anarchangel »

cczernia wrote:Firefly: Back in the Black - River has taken off in a shuttle and left a note "went to hang with Crissy." The crew has to chase after her (again) but do they risk their delivery in the process (using Cortex+)
Dude!

cczernia wrote:Exalted: Dreams of the First Age - Before the Usurpation the Solar Exalted ruled and created one of the greatest civilizations man has ever seen. Play a god during the height of their reign when they seek out one of their own who is newly exalted. (using FATE )
Duuuuude!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

cczernia wrote:Mord, you should submit Gamma World.
Yeah OK! I'll figure out a scenario.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

cczernia wrote:Exalted: Dreams of the First Age - Before the Usurpation the Solar Exalted ruled and created one of the greatest civilizations man has ever seen. Play a god during the height of their reign when they seek out one of their own who is newly exalted. (using FATE )
Using Strange FATE, aka KFC FATE?
Mike Olson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

mordraine wrote:Yeah OK! I'll figure out a scenario.
Oh, yeah, I am SO in for this.

-Chris
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

devlin1 wrote:Using Strange FATE, aka KFC FATE?
Yep, I was going to put KFC Fate but I thought that would just confuse people.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

cczernia wrote:Yep, I was going to put KFC Fate but I thought that would just confuse people.
It would! In my head I've been calling it Strange FATE, because I like the sound of that, but it's really only applicable to the Kerberos Club setting, what with the use of the word "Strange" and all. Without that context, it sounds like "that weird version of FATE."

Anyway -- that's cool. I'll vote for it. I'm just laying that out there right now: I will vote for it.
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

So the two I would like to offer is:

Call of Cthulhu Secrets of Japan- Stories from the Red Chamber. A group of bored intellectuals offer horror on a platter for players willing to take the plunge into the darkness. Inspired by the Japanese Mythos short stories The Terror Rate, Spherical Trigonometry and Inverted Kingdom. None of which I expect anyone to have read. So this will be a hard sell.

and...

Devil's Gulch-

Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

Game pimping commencing in 3...2....1....

*beep*

Thing 1: Lady Blackbird....straight no chaser(i.e. the scenario as originally written with no hacks). Thx, Mordraine for getting me interested in this wonderful game again.

Thing 2: KFC: The CyberKing will Rise! A Strange Fate game that has nothing whatsoever to do with 'The Next Doctor'.

or

Thing 2: KFC: Clanks of the Old West. A Strange Fate game that has nothing whatsoever to do with Wild Wild West.

anyway, vote for thing 2 if you want to play KFC
Lights! Camera! Action! Roll 'em!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Savage Slacker wrote: Thing 2: KFC: The CyberKing will Rise! A Strange Fate game that has nothing whatsoever to do with 'The Next Doctor'.

or

Thing 2: KFC: Clanks of the Old West. A Strange Fate game that has nothing whatsoever to do with Wild Wild West.

anyway, vote for thing 2 if you want to play KFC
Choose! Choose the form of your -- I mean, choose one of these two games.

And it's official: I'm definitely not pitching a KFC game.
Mike Olson
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

devlin1 wrote:Choose! Choose the form of your -- I mean, choose one of these two games.

And it's official: I'm definitely not pitching a KFC game.

I have to dust off my notes. I will definitely commit to something before the cutoff date.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Can I change one of the games I'm pimping. I was thinking I would like to run a game of Hackmaster Basic rather than the D&D4E game I pimped above.

White Pallet, Ivory Horns: You're band of newbie adventurers is heading to the hot spot of action in the kingdom, Frandor's Keep, but on the way you get caught in a small village in the rain, where thick mud makes travel difficult. However, a merchant in town seems to have lost some supplies to goblin raiders, and wants your help. Adventure calls! Will you answer?

-Chris
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

BlanchPrez wrote:Can I change one of the games I'm pimping.
Of course -- nothing's final until... what'd I say, the 11th? 10th?
I was thinking I would like to run a game of Hackmaster Basic rather than the D&D4E game I pimped above.
Cool. I like 4E, but I can play it every week down at the ol' FLGS. Hackmaster Basic is a little harder to come by.
Mike Olson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

devlin1 wrote: Cool. I like 4E, but I can play it every week down at the ol' FLGS. Hackmaster Basic is a little harder to come by.
Yeah, that was my thought too.

-Chris
Savage Slacker
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Savage Slacker »

Pimp my games, take 2:

Thing 1: Lady Blackbird

Help Lady Blackbird escape her betrothed, Count Carlowe, as you fly through the aether seeking her pirate lover. Play the big damn heroes as you hit your keys and tag your traits in this gaslamp fantasy of avoiding Imperial entanglements.

Thing 2: The Kerberos Club: Fate Edition(playtest)

The Gauntlet
You are four young friends growing up together in Victorian London. But even the divine queen can't curtail the strangeness creeping into the world. Even you four are touched by it: an unnatural taint that gives you powers. You are Strangers seeking entry into the Kerberos Club which is made up of Strangers like you. And though it is an egalitarian forward thinking organization, getting in requires you to pass a trial, a test of your resourcefulness. You must run The Gauntlet.

Whoomp! There it is!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

The Pillage of Hommlet (Cortex+)
The Village of Hommlet has grown up around a crossroads in a woodland. Once far from any important activity, it became embroiled in the struggle between gods and demons when the Temple of Elemental Evil arose but a few leagues away. Luckily for its inhabitants, the Temple and its evil hordes were destroyed a decade ago, but Hommlet still suffers from incursions of bandits and strange monsters... AND DRAMA! Because this is Cortex+! Smallville kills D&D and takes its stuff in this return to an old classic.

I also want to pitch a second game, but I'm not sure what it'd be: Either Dungeon World (a fantasy hack of Apocalypse World), Sigils (my fantasy hack of/improvement on Icons), or Jaws of the Six Serpents.
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Slave Pits of the Undercity (Old School Hack*)
It is time to put a stop to the marauders! For years the coastal towns have been burned looted by the forces of evil. You and your fellow adventurers have been recruited to root out and destroy the source of these raids. But hundreds of good men and women have been taken by the slavers and never heard from again. Beware, lest you suffer their fate!

*There's a chance, between now and then, that I'll want to change this to Dungeon World. I'm having a hard time deciding here.
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

My first thing, as previously mentioned is Operation: Blackbird (the '60s Spy adventure based on Lady Blackbird).

My second thing will be a Gamma World (4eD&D) game called "Hijinx in See Wod" and will involve mutated Killer Whales and hive-mind penguins.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I wish to change my Call of Cthulhu: Secrets of Japan game and take it off so I can run...

Cthulhu Dark. A Cthulhu rules lite...errr Dark game that does not need huge character sheets but a name tag.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Skyman wrote:Cthulhu Dark. A Cthulhu rules lite...errr Dark game that does not need huge character sheets but a name tag.
Ah, cool. I've heard a little about this. More indie stuff!
Mike Olson
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Curse this two game limit, I have too many game ideas to give. But here we go.

Shadowrun (FATE Rules)

A Mirrorshades and Pink Mohawks style game using FATE rules to deliver a high octane game of Shadowrunning action. Magic and Machine, meets Metahumanity on the neon lit, rain soaked, mean streets of Seattle.

Day After Ragnarök (FATE Rules)
Know, O Prince, that between the years when the Serpent fell and the oceans drank America and the gleaming cities, and the rise of the Sons of Space, there was an Age undreamed of, when nations guttered low and flared brilliant across the poisoned world like dying stars—California and Texas each claiming the flag of the West, France torn asunder and facing the desert, harsh Mexico, slumbering Brazil, Argentina where the seeds of Thule lay waiting, ancient lands of Persia and Arabia and Iraq between two empires, the coldly clutching Soviet Union whispering behind its Wall of Serpent, Japan whose warriors wore steel and silk and khaki. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Australia, the last green and pleasant land, ringed around by its dominions and bulwarked by the sea...
I've been itching to give Day After Ragnarok a spin using the FATE rules. It's a WWII post apocalypse game of Serpents, Sub-Machine Guns, and Sorcery. The game will probably take place in the Poisoned Lands of America, but who knows the setting is incredibly rich.
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Also I have a quick question about the board game day. Is there any room for running other games on Sunday? I'm not a huge board game fan, but something like Fiasco can be played with something like a board. :mrgreen:
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mcellis wrote:Also I have a quick question about the board game day. Is there any room for running other games on Sunday? I'm not a huge board game fan, but something like Fiasco can be played with something like a board. :mrgreen:
Well, it's not enforced or anything. If there are four other people who want to play Fiasco -- and I'm sure there will be -- then go for it.
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Also:
mcellis wrote:Day After Ragnarök (FATE Rules)
Ack. Any plans to run this at Gamex or GenCon or anything? Because... I want to play this, and I want to make sure I get a chance.
Mike Olson
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

devlin1 wrote:Also:
Ack. Any plans to run this at Gamex or GenCon or anything? Because... I want to play this, and I want to make sure I get a chance.
Well, I didn't have any plans for running it at GenCon this year, but it could definitely be on my plate for the Summer Strategicons. Also if say an official FATE or SotC version of DAR ever gets published I may run it at next year's GenCon, and who knows I may have to run it first at the Hyph. ;)
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mcellis wrote:Well, I didn't have any plans for running it at GenCon this year, but it could definitely be on my plate for the Summer Strategicons. Also if say an official FATE or SotC version of DAR ever gets published I may run it at next year's GenCon, and who knows I may have to run it first at the Hyph. ;)
Isn't Lenny Balsera writing a conversion? Where did I hear that? WedCon?
Mike Olson
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Maybe he is, he certainly would be a good person to tackle such a project, but I can neither confirm nor deny such a rumor.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mcellis wrote:Maybe he is, he certainly would be a good person to tackle such a project, but I can neither confirm nor deny such a rumor.
Well, there's this post from Fred Hicks on the FATE Yahoo! Group, dated September 10, 2010:
Fred Hicks wrote: > Lenny Balsera is working on a SOTC(ish) translation of Day After
> Ragnarok, for what it's worth. :)
So that's gotta be worth something, right?
Mike Olson
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Well I stand corrected I guess it has been publicly confirmed. At the same time though I never like to talk up upcoming games on the internet too much, at least until I hear that they are at the printers or already published. There have been just too many disappointments and years spent on anticipation of upcoming games that seem to never materialize.

I'm looking forward to an official SotC version of DAR, but I've yet to see any word of it on either Lenny's or Atomic Overmind's blog pages. Plus with friend's games it's always hard to know when you're breaking their trust and or some sort of NDA by talking about projects they are working on. Not everyone has a design blog where they keep folks so well updated on their projects. ;)
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mcellis wrote:Well I stand corrected I guess it has been publicly confirmed. At the same time though I never like to talk up upcoming games on the internet too much, at least until I hear that they are at the printers or already published. There have been just too many disappointments and years spent on anticipation of upcoming games that seem to never materialize.
Yeah, I hear that. I just did a Google search for "balsera day after ragnarok" and that came up, so if I weren't such a 1337 4axx0r it'd still be a mystery.
I'm looking forward to an official SotC version of DAR, but I've yet to see any word of it on either Lenny's or Atomic Overmind's blog pages.
Hell, I'd even like to just play Savage Worlds or Hero System DAR. Or own either. I have this weird habit of going into DiceHouse and looking to see if they have it in stock, but not actually ordering it.
Plus with friend's games it's always hard to know when you're breaking their trust and or some sort of NDA by talking about projects they are working on. Not everyone has a design blog where they keep folks so well updated on their projects. ;)
Pfft. Up-to-date is one thing Spirit of the Blank is not right now. I haven't even put up a post about OrcCon yet.
Mike Olson
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

I bow to your superior Google-Fu.

Well order it already! It's an awesome setting, and the Savage Worlds Edition has now been reprinted and is back in stock. Why do you hate both Freedom and Jörgmungandr?

Spirit of the Blank is updated with great frequency compared to some other sites I could mention. The project hasn't even been announced on the Atomic Overmind page.

But I feel we are getting away from the real purpose of this thread. GMs get your lazy ass games out on the street, they can't make you money unless you put them to work on the corner. Keep your GM Hand Strong! and keep on pimping your games. Today is the last day!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I know Cthulhu wants to pimp a couple of games but hasn't gotten his lazy ass over here on this thread to post them yet. I'll get 'em in just so he has the spots on the poll. He wants to do an adventure with The Laundry, and also one with Slipstream.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Oh yeah...:redface:

Lost Fragment

Slipstream / Savage Worlds
The crew of the Argos look on in horror as their ship blasts off from this tiny jungle world fragment. The first mate has betrayed them, and they've been left stranded on a tiny worldlet with no supplies and civilization to be found. How will they get off this rock and retake the Argos before their treacherous first mates sells it to the highest bidder?

A Queue to a Kill
The Laundry Files / BRP
In the last two weeks, three Laundry agents have died under mysterious circumstances. Each was last seen at the local DVLA (Her Majesty's DMV equivalent). A team of raw recruits has been dispatched to investigate the issue, and learn the horrifying secret of their disappearance.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Okay! The voting thread is up. Eighteen candidates and not a dud among them. Well done, us!
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Last day to indie-rock the vote, people. Go indie-rock the vote.
Mike Olson