Hyphen-Con VII: Important Dates and Date-Related Things

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Hyphen-Con VII: Important Dates and Date-Related Things

Post by devlin1 »

Hyphen-Con this year will be held on April 2nd (RPGs) and 3rd (boardgames).

Submit (or "pimp," if you will) your game by March 10th.

Voting will run from March 11th to March 21st.

The selected games will be posted on March 22nd, although it'll be obvious who won anyway by the time voting's done. That should leave people with 10 days to get their games together. That's enough, right?
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Okay, a few quick questions about the Hyph.

What time does it start, where is it located, how many game sessions are there, and does anyone have any crash space?

I learned my lesson about trying to drive back at 2am after a full day of Hyph and have decided that and the chance to get some boardgaming has tipped it over the edge into a 2 day trip. But that means I or whoever I come down with will need a place to crash.

We've also been pondering taking the train and so we may need rides locally as well, but I don't want to impose.

Thanks.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mcellis wrote:Okay, a few quick questions about the Hyph.

What time does it start
Er, like, 1:00, I think. We usually get there around 11, dick around for a bit, then get the first session going. We take a break after about four hours when the session's done, eat dinner, and start the second session around 6:00. I think. It's pretty loosey-goosey.
where is it located
Andy's company's office in Kearny Mesa. We have the place to ourselves.
how many game sessions are there
Two sessions; last year it was four games per session, IIRC.
and does anyone have any crash space?
This is a question for someone else to answer, since I'm not local either. But sure, odds are good.
I learned my lesson about trying to drive back at 2am after a full day of Hyph and have decided that and the chance to get some boardgaming has tipped it over the edge into a 2 day trip. But that means I or whoever I come down with will need a place to crash.
Yeah... I drove back Saturday night once or twice, and even just driving back to Irvine I had to stop and sleep on the way.
We've also been pondering taking the train and so we may need rides locally as well, but I don't want to impose.
I don't have much room for passengers in my car, because there's a car seat and a French horn in the back and also because my car's a mess, but I'll be down there Friday, so if I can help in that regard I don't mind doing so. But if it's, like, more than two people who need a ride, that's more than I can accommodate. I'm sure someone else can do it, though. We're nice people.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

As one of the more northerly (of the locals), i have no issues swinging by the coaster station on my way down (and/or anyone could take the sprinter from Oceanside to my house fairly easily). I have 2 or 3 extra seats available in my car.

crash space - i can provide one couch and perhaps some floor/airbed space. If i still have an airbed.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

dnd3eplayer wrote:crash space - i can provide one couch and perhaps some floor/airbed space. If i still have an airbed.
Ooh! I have an airbed. I never use it, but I have one, so I can bring that and lend it out for the weekend.
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Oops, I'm late to respond to the requests for crash-space. Sorry about that!

Mike will no doubt be claiming my guest room as is the custom, but I also have a couch that is available.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Hey guys thanks for the responses and the generosity, but it now looks like we'll probably try to get a hotel instead. See you at the Hyph.

Morgan.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mcellis wrote:Hey guys thanks for the responses and the generosity, but it now looks like we'll probably try to get a hotel instead. See you at the Hyph.

Morgan.
The Torrance-types did that last year -- they had a place that was basically right across the 163 (or the 15?) from the Kore office.
Mike Olson
goodmangames

Post by goodmangames »

So I might be skipping ahead here, but if I can only make the board game day...what time do the board games start? And are they scheduled at all or is it just "bring a pile of board games and let's find one everyone can play"? Cuz I've got a pile that I could bring. :)
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

goodmangames wrote:So I might be skipping ahead here, but if I can only make the board game day...what time do the board games start? And are they scheduled at all or is it just "bring a pile of board games and let's find one everyone can play"? Cuz I've got a pile that I could bring. :)
It's pretty much a bring-a-pile situation. As for the time... I dunno. Noon or something? Details to follow!
Mike Olson
joela

Post by joela »

devlin1 wrote:Er, like, 1:00, I think. We usually get there around 11, dick around for a bit, then get the first session going. We take a break after about four hours when the session's done, eat dinner,
Potluck? Bring our own food? Or go out for eats? If the last, what're the eating establishments nearby?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

joela wrote:Potluck? Bring our own food? Or go out for eats? If the last, what're the eating establishments nearby?
Potluck, but there are some restaurants nearby too. There's an Italian place we've gone to sometimes for pizza, and a Subway and... I want to say a Rubio's or something? I don't recall. But the potluck is better than all that shnizz-shnazz anyway.
Mike Olson