The Dungeon Masters

Completely off-topic.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

The Dungeon Masters

Post by BlanchPrez »

So, a new video that's supposidly a documentary of three Dungeon's and Dragon's players.

http://www.dungeonmastersmovie.com/trailer.php

Here's my initial thought, based soley on the trailer. Once again, it seems like the movie makers went out of their way to pick the most sterotypical (in the worst way) D&D nerds they could find, and then represented them as the "average" gamer.

I mean, look at the people on this message board. We're college students, parents, husbands and wives, comptuer geeks, sci-fi fans. We hold down stedy jobs and integrate into society without being social outcasts (at least, not all the time). Are we on this message board an anomly in the gaming world, or are movies like this missing out on the larger portion of the RPG community?

-Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

"Normal" gamers aren't interesting documentary subjects to the public. They want to see a real-life "Fear of Girls," not a bunch of friends getting together as a social activity.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

yeah, i think rather than wanting to vilify or alienate members of the hobby, first and foremost the filmmaker wants people to fill the seats/buy the dvd. therefore, the more interesting fringe folk.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Wow... Blonde Redhead doing the original score, and the closing song of the trailer was Guided by Voices... Say what you will about the actual film, the music rocks.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]yeah, i think rather than wanting to vilify or alienate members of the hobby, first and foremost the filmmaker wants people to fill the seats/buy the dvd. therefore, the more interesting fringe folk.[/quote]

Yeah, but that just gets a response like "Tell us something we don't know." Doing a movie about gamers who can actually blend with "normal" society would open a few more eyes than this.

"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Yeah, but that just gets a response like "Tell us something we don't know." Doing a movie about gamers who can actually blend with "normal" society would open a few more eyes than this.[/quote]

Movie makers don't give a shit about opening a few more eyes, for the most part. They care about making an entertaining film that'll make money.

For the record, I think they're taking the easy way out with this movie. Oh, there are weirdos who play D&D? Gee, I didn't know that. Also, I'm philosophically against something that perpetuates negative stereotypes.

I will be buying the soundtrack though...

(Oh, and I recognized a guy in the trailer. w00t!)

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mordraine"]For the record, I think they're taking the easy way out with this movie. Oh, there are weirdos who play D&D? Gee, I didn't know that. Also, I'm philosophically against something that perpetuates negative stereotypes.
[/quote]

I had this same thought when I first saw this trailer. Not exactly ground breaking.

-Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Movie makers don't give a shit about opening a few more eyes, for the most part. They care about making an entertaining film that'll make money.[/quote]
Exactly.

For some perspective, I ask myself "What if this were about LARPing instead?" My reaction would probably be "Yeah, show the world what freaks those people are! Fuck those LARPers!"

I feel pretty confident that Me:LARPers :: Most People:Gamers. I recognize that there are LARPers who are, like, totally cool and everything, but I also find that stereotypes are a real time-saver.

[quote](Oh, and I recognized a guy in the trailer. w00t!)[/quote]

Me too! I know who you're talking about -- we've played with him at Strategicon.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]
Me too! I know who you're talking about -- we've played with him at Strategicon.[/quote]

Yup. He was in the glorious 12 player 2nd ed D&D extravaganza a few years back.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

*groan* that really happened? i thought that was some terrible fever dream.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]*groan* that really happened? i thought that was some terrible fever dream.[/quote]

Say it with me:

"Blanched in the face!"

**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]*groan* that really happened? i thought that was some terrible fever dream.[/quote]

"Hey Bouldershoulder? What're you thinkin' about?"

Without that game, we wouldn't have that line, so I think a modicum of gratitude is due.

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

true. [/threadjack]
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Looked right on