Hmm... not that I was ever gonna buy a Kindle anyway, but...

Completely off-topic.
mordraine

Hmm... not that I was ever gonna buy a Kindle anyway, but...

Post by mordraine »

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Wow, that's bullshit.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Dragonkin
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Dragonkin »

Bullshit yes, but let us savor the irony of the books which were pulled/deleted.

I enjoy the digital copies of books I have (primarily gaming products, but I digress), but I still overwhelmingly prefer dead tree versions. There's no retina burn from staring at a backlit screen for hours, no one can delete your copy (so long as the gestapo remains out of my home library, anyway), and there's just something comforting in the feel of the pages as they slide across your fingers when you turn the page. So sign me into the grognard register. Long live REAL books.

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

That was a load of BS

Man I'm glad I didn't buy that for my wife..."yes hun, they deleted your books remotely"
Digital_Boy
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Digital_Boy »

I like the hardware capabilities of the new Kindle big screen, as having my entire GURPS book collection in PDF on a screen that can display the artwork and text without compromising legibility and being able to search for key terms is nice.

Don't get me wrong, I love dead tree editions too, but when you're lugging around 20+lbs of books to a game, the thought of swapping that with a 1 or 2 lb e-reader that can carry everything is a boon.

What's needed is a Kindle type e-reader minus Amazon's intrusiveness.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

If I understood the article correctly, they published those books without proper rights to do so and having found out they screwed up they then did the only legal thing that they could do and that was to remove them.

With that said, let me add that there will never be an object of this sort that I will ever own if the company that sells it to me has the ability to get into it and alter things WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!!! If they make a mistake and sell me something they shouldn't have, tough shit, pay the piper for making a mistake, and stop selling what they shouldn't have in the first place but keep their gd electronic fingers outta my property! If they want to ask me to delete it, fine, I'll consider it and I'll make the decision.

Other than that I have no opinion...
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="opwunder"]With that said, let me add that there will never be an object of this sort that I will ever own if the company that sells it to me has the ability to get into it and alter things WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!!! If they make a mistake and sell me something they shouldn't have, tough shit, pay the piper for making a mistake, and stop selling what they shouldn't have in the first place but keep their gd electronic fingers outta my property![/quote]

This is very similar to my own opinion.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!