dollhouse

Reviews of games, books, products, etc.
jimmy corrigan

dollhouse

Post by jimmy corrigan »

joss whedon's dollhouse premiered last week. the wife and i caught it online. i thought it was pretty good. i'll be giving it a shot.

if you got a chance to watch it, i'm curious to know what you all thought.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Thought it was pretty decent. Not too much background in the opening episode, but enough to keep my interest so I'll be watching.

A lot of folks were crapping on Dushku's acting job, but it didn't really bother me.

The episode did not really feel 'joss-like' to me, but again that is probably because there was no real history to the characters (yet). i also wish they had set it 'very near future' instead of now-ish. The tech they are using feels a little too advanced.

Things I want to know: (possible mild spoilers below)

* why is Echo there? Trouble with the law? Debt? Something else? They hinted but didn't really get into it.

* what is the extent of their ability to download data? Can you make someone smarter? They seem to be able to manipulate emotional state/outlook fairly well. Can they improve muscle response/etc (a la The Forever War's learning tanks they used for officers)?

* where do they get their 'data' from? Like the negotiator persona that Echo took on for the latter part - I know it was culled from a number of 'scans' compiled together to get the overall effect they wanted, but are they paying people for their data/memories, scientific guinea pigs (would not work for high value data from professionals probably), scanning recent corpses, etc?

* will Fox cancel it right away, or will they tease us and wait for it to get really good first? :mrgreen:
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I liked it as well.

I'm not sure they'll answer a lot of the questions you're asking Sam. Especialy with regards to what the extent and capabilities of the data download is. They probably want to leave that a bit squishy, at least at the beginning, while the writers work out the limitations and what-not. I'd also expect that the continuity of that sort of thing would be malleable (assuming the show sticks around long enough for continuity to matter).

[quote]a la The Forever War's learning tanks they used for officers[/quote]

Oooh, good pull!

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I had mixed feelings about it.

The episode felt a little random on some level. You can definitely tell that it had been fiddled with a lot. All of the rumors of the three or four rewrites by the studio sort of showed through.

I also have to keep in mind the first few episodes of any show always have things that bother me, so I am not really judging it yet. At this point, I am neutral on it. I will wait to see where the show goes. I found the concept interesting, and it feels like it has potential.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="mordraine"]Oooh, good pull![/quote]

thaswhashesaid!

fgarber
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by fgarber »

As for will Fox cancel it right away - After week 2, I can see that Joss has learned his lesson from Firefly: Get your OverArching Storyline out there (Alpha the Rogue Luuuvs Echo) as soon as possible, because the Fox network don't likee the Delayed gratification!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I have no doubt Fox will cancel this show. It is a bit too cerebral for Fox.

By the way, I found the last episode quite good.

[quote="fgarber"]As for will Fox cancel it right away - After week 2, I can see that Joss has learned his lesson from Firefly: Get your OverArching Storyline out there (Alpha the Rogue Luuuvs Echo) as soon as possible, because the Fox network don't likee the Delayed gratification![/quote]

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Count Zero"]I have no doubt Fox will cancel this show. It is a bit too cerebral for Fox.[/quote]

I haven't seen the show yet but I heard Joss on Fresh Air and he said he had to reshoot the Pilot because they wanted more violence, less sex.

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup