What games you playing?

Miniatures, Boardgames, video games, etc.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

What games you playing?

Post by Count Zero »

Hey Guys,

Haven't been around for a while. Thought I would say hey.

Also, I was wondering what games people were playing.

Anyone have Sins of a Solar Empire or Left 4 Dead?

Anyone using Steam? My steam id is LeadSponge. Feel freed to add me as a friend.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

My wife gave me Fable 2 and Left 4 Dead (for the 360) for Christmas. I've played L4D a little, but most of my time has been spent on Fable 2 this past week. Prior to that, I was hooked on Grand Theft Auto 4.

I'm sure we've got a Steam account here, but I rarely use it. However, if anyone's on XBox live, my gamertag is GAstleford (yeah, I know, real exciting and evocative, that).

Gary
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

Well, bang a broken drum, but I'm still playing World of Warcraft. This time, I'm casual-ish. Kirin Tor Server, Horde. Look for Takna or Freakpipe.

But Civ IV: Colonization arrived under the tree this year and that game is a true delight. A near perfect refitting of the original Colonization. Now, if you will excuse me, I have some tobacco to craft into cigars for shipment to the mother country.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I've been playing Guitar Hero III. I have GTA4 but it I only play once a month and have to relearn the controls each time. Keep forgetting how to answer the damn cellphone and how to shoot things.

Anyway, I was looking into a new game but didn't really know what to buy. I was thinking Ninja Gaiden Sigma or Star Wars Force Unleashed.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I'm always down for a Civ IV (Prefer BTS) game. We're playing a lot of Little Big Planet.

What's Colonization?
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Neuro"]I'm always down for a Civ IV (Prefer BTS) game. We're playing a lot of Little Big Planet.

What's Colonization?[/quote]

How is Little Big Planet. That one looked like a lot of fun.

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="cczernia"]How is Little Big Planet. That one looked like a lot of fun.[/quote]

Best. Thing. Ever.

The game physics and interactive nature of the whole universe are astonishing. The community aspect, both in the cooperative nature of play and the incredible, artful levels that people produce give something to it you couldn't cram in the box.

Come visit and play.

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Drew »

Anyone playing Fallout 3? Been thinking about picking that up...
In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.
Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

[quote="Drew"]Anyone playing Fallout 3? Been thinking about picking that up...[/quote]

I don't have it (yet), though it was on my Christmas list. Lots of folks at work have lots of great things to say about it, which is usually a good indication of whether or not a game is any good.

G

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Winter's been playing it, so I've watched it, but not played it since it's a little too FPS for me, although it's more dramatic than realistic. The RPG part looks great to me, very funny. Great music. Still crashes, but I'm informed that's normal for a Fallout game.

Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Fallout 3 is fantastic... I was very upset when I heard the franchise was going to an FPS view (I don't really like FPSes) and didn't really want to like the game, but did in spite of it all.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'm still playing City of Heroes (they just released shields!), but the game that really has my attention right now is Spore. I loves me this game! :)

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

Civ IV: Col (also Col) is a remake of the classic, less famous Colonization from 1994ish. The new version is basically a rich highly detailed scenario covering the colonization of a "New World" by four Euro powers, beginning in the mid 1500s.

It's a game of trading, diplomacy, settlement, and eventual violent overthrow of your imperial masters. And it's cheap, too.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Picked it up. It''s pretty much oblivion with guns. Not bad really, but not really fallout is it? I do like the combat system. Pretty cool going all matrix. :)
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Back in November I rented Deadspace after Count Zero recommended it to me. I played it late at night for three very suspenseful nights and one whole day. Quite fun and very scary.

I've beat Fallout 3 as a cannibalistic scourge of the wastes that wore a Ghoul mask. Engaging and fun but a lot more limited than a Black Isle produced Fallout. I was disappointed by both endings though the lead was awesome.

Over the holidays as my regular gaming got interrupted by various family affairs I reinstalled Deus Ex (best Cyberpunk game I own since I couldn't run SR4 without players) and ran it on my Mac OS9 emulator that came standard with my powerbook. I've had a hell of a time trying to beat it on realistic.

I've also reinstalled Fallout 1 similarly and while the isometric view and muddy graphics are dated the story and gameplay freedom are top notch. Nostalgia gaming.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Wintermute"]Fallout 3 is fantastic... I was very upset when I heard the franchise was going to an FPS view (I don't really like FPSes) and didn't really want to like the game, but did in spite of it all.[/quote]

There is a 3rd person view. And you are aware you can go into the "action point system" right. Maybe that is only on the console.

But, with that said, Fallout 3 is very impressive. I haven't had a chance ot play it much, but it is basically Oblivion with a sci-fi skin.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]I'm still playing City of Heroes (they just released shields!), but the game that really has my attention right now is Spore. I loves me this game! :)

Chris[/quote]

I just got into City of Heroes about a week or two ago. I am having a lot of fun with it.

As to Spore, I just don't find the game play very compelling. It has such potential to be an all in one kind of game, and just managed to not do any of them very well. More than anything, their save function killed the game for me. I played all the way up to the civilization phase, saving along the way. I happened to save just before I got jacked by the computer. So, when I loose and try to restart the civ phase, I can't just restart it... I have to load from the save game. Which means that I basically have to start all over from the beginning. I just wasn't willing to do that. Epic fail on the part of Maxis and EA when it comes to their save design.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I recently picked up Mirrors Edge... or more to the point.. I borrowed the office copy from work. The game play is neat, but to be honest, I think I am getting old. What they expect me to do to accomplish some of the maneuvers I just can't seem to do or don't have the patience for it any longer. There were only so many times I could fall off a building and listen to my bones crack before I was done.

It had some really interesting potential, and it was nice to see a color palette that wasn't Dystopian Brown (i.e. Fallout 3) or Gun Metal Gray (i.e. Gears of War 2). The bright colors were a really nice change. I was really impressed with the artist aspect of the game. I have thought about giving it another shot, but after not knowing where to go, even after pressing their "hey dumbass go this way" button, I just don't know if I can muster the will to be frustrated with my old, arthritic hands. For some reason, I just can't seem to coordinate a "Left Trigger, Right Bumper, Mash B button" combo at the speed the game is expecting. :mrgreen:

[quote="mrlost"]Back in November I rented Deadspace after Count Zero recommended it to me. I played it late at night for three very suspenseful nights and one whole day. Quite fun and very scary.

I've beat Fallout 3 as a cannibalistic scourge of the wastes that wore a Ghoul mask. Engaging and fun but a lot more limited than a Black Isle produced Fallout. I was disappointed by both endings though the lead was awesome.

Over the holidays as my regular gaming got interrupted by various family affairs I reinstalled Deus Ex (best Cyberpunk game I own since I couldn't run SR4 without players) and ran it on my Mac OS9 emulator that came standard with my powerbook. I've had a hell of a time trying to beat it on realistic.

I've also reinstalled Fallout 1 similarly and while the isometric view and muddy graphics are dated the story and gameplay freedom are top notch. Nostalgia gaming.[/quote]

mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

[quote="Count Zero"]I recently picked up Mirrors Edge... or more to the point.. I borrowed the office copy from work. The game play is neat, but to be honest, I think I am getting old. What they expect me to do to accomplish some of the maneuvers I just can't seem to do or don't have the patience for it any longer. There were only so many times I could fall off a building and listen to my bones crack before I was done.

It had some really interesting potential, and it was nice to see a color palette that wasn't Dystopian Brown (i.e. Fallout 3) or Gun Metal Gray (i.e. Gears of War 2). The bright colors were a really nice change. I was really impressed with the artist aspect of the game. I have thought about giving it another shot, but after not knowing where to go, even after pressing their "hey dumbass go this way" button, I just don't know if I can muster the will to be frustrated with my old, arthritic hands. For some reason, I just can't seem to coordinate a "Left Trigger, Right Bumper, Mash B button" combo at the speed the game is expecting. :mrgreen:[/quote]

I'm really sorry to hear that. My girlfriend has been looking forward to trying that game as she loves Freerunning and Parkour. The reviews I've read make it sound like a tech demo not that that's bad. I love Portal and its a tech demo.

[Spoiler]

Can't wait for the Episode 3 of Halflife2 to see what the do with it.[/spoiler]

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Count Zero"]I just got into City of Heroes about a week or two ago. I am having a lot of fun with it.
[/quote]

I'm over on Virtue. Put me on your global friends list, @Masked Revenger.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="mrlost"]I'm really sorry to hear that. My girlfriend has been looking forward to trying that game as she loves Freerunning and Parkour. The reviews I've read make it sound like a tech demo not that that's bad. I love Portal and its a tech demo.

[Spoiler]

Can't wait for the Episode 3 of Halflife2 to see what the do with it.[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong. I would definitely recommend playing it. It is just a rather tough game. I have the feeling your girlfriend would be able to handle it. I just don't know if I have the skill to play it. Keep in mind that I haven't played my X-Box for some time, so simply finding the buttons can be a pain. My X-box is used for watching movies more than playing games this past year.

If she ever wants to come over to try it out, she is welcome to, while I still have it. If all else fails, we can always run over to my office to try it out.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]I'm over on Virtue. Put me on your global friends list, @Masked Revenger.

Chris[/quote]

will do I am @greenyeoman

mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

[quote="Count Zero"]
If she ever wants to come over to try it out, she is welcome to, while I still have it. If all else fails, we can always run over to my office to try it out.[/quote]

I will gleefully pass that along...

opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

I absolutely loved the first two Fallouts and was excited about the third. When I started playing it I almost had a hissey-fit. But then I kept at it and decided that, whoa, this was the direction that it probably had to go. So I dat back, relaxed, took it as it came, and am now having a ball with it...the second time through doing everything that i missed trying to just go straight through!
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
Drew

Post by Drew »

Beat FO3 a couple weeks ago. Was a lot of fun but I still say it's not really a fallout game! But I loved the combat system. Hope more games utilize that style of first person combat.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i started shadow of the colossus today. it's a good-looking game. fun too.