D&D 4e Game

Seeking players or a GM?
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

D&D 4e Game

Post by BlanchPrez »

So, it looks like the game I was going to try and run with my dad is not going to get started, at least not anytime soon.

So, now I have the beginings of a campaign, a basic setting and a super strong desire to actually play this game, and no one to play it with.

So, I was wondering if anyone out there would be interested in getting a 4E game going (or, another one for those of you luckey enough to actually play with the other members of this board).

What I'm looking to do is run a game every other week, on Saturday, from noon to about 8pm. The only thing is that I can't really host, so it would need to be played at someone else's house.

If you're interested, let me know!

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Dragonmaster Zoc »

I can host, but I'm in Mira Mesa. Everyone else is invariably as far from here as possible.
SEVEN_SEVEN_SEVEN
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by SEVEN_SEVEN_SEVEN »

I would like to play chris.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Can I be the webcam on the table? :D
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Can I be the webcam on the table? :D[/quote]

Man, it's too bad that the gaming table in D&D Insider isn't up, or you really could. :P

Dragonmaster Zoc, Mira Mesa isn't too far away. So, if you're still willing to host, you're place is fine for me.

I'm not sure if it's okay with 777. Seven? You good with that? If so, that's two, and we'd just need at least two more. Six is my max, but we really need at least 4 to get this thing going.

Chris

SEVEN_SEVEN_SEVEN
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by SEVEN_SEVEN_SEVEN »

it ok by me
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

I'm still up for it, but I'm somewhat limited on chairs. I have enough for a GM and four players, but it would get crowded with more than that.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

That's cool, four players it is. We got two, we just need two more. Who's interested?

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Good news! I've secured us a place that gives us more room for more players (thoughy my personal max as a DM is 6) and access to a vending machine for sodas and snacks.

My office has allowed me to use one of our meeting rooms for the game. :)

I'm hoping we can get enough people together in time so that we can start on August 1st. If either of you know's someone that is interested in playing 4E, tell 'em about this thread. :)

Chris
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

I may be interested, except my other game (that I DM) is also every other week, on Saturday. This may require more scheduling than I am prepared for.

What's the game going to be about?

I want to play a Dragonborn Warlord with maximum reptile boobage.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="ekomega"]I may be interested, except my other game (that I DM) is also every other week, on Saturday. This may require more scheduling than I am prepared for.

What's the game going to be about?

I want to play a Dragonborn Warlord with maximum reptile boobage.[/quote]

Well, maybe we can work out a schedule that gives you one game a week, alternating from game to game.

As to what the game is about, it's an Adventure Path campaign going form 1 to 30. In basic, the first part of the adventure is your PC's going against a group of cultusts that are threatening the town and region you start in.

Chris

Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

[quote="ekomega"]
I want to play a Dragonborn Warlord with maximum reptile boobage.[/quote]

Not to be contrary, or shoot down a character idea out of hand, but I'm fairly certain that mammaries are exclusive to mammals. I'm pretty sure it's part of the definition, actually.

Santanus

Post by Santanus »

So is this meeting on Saturdays or Sundays? I live in Mira Mesa and would be interested in doing every other weekend. Like how many hours are you planning on per session?

Also, as I have previously posted, I am extremely rusty but very flexible and quite funny (of course, I am probably biased in my personal assessment) but I am a quick learner as well.

email me at c_strows@yahoo.com
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Hey Santanus,

I would have sent you a message about this before, but you'd previously said that all-day Saturday was out for you. If you check the first post, this is tentatively scheduled from noon until 8PM, which I thought would fall into the "all-day" category.

Six hours is pretty much the minimum I'm willing to commit if it's only meeting every other week. Anything less than that tends to encourage people to flake, or tends to attract flakes who aren't willing to commit time, or tends to have people forget what was going on two weeks ago and encourages people to break character.

That's just my opinion, of course. I've had such bad experiences in the memorable past.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

[quote="Dragonmaster Zoc"]Not to be contrary, or shoot down a character idea out of hand, but I'm fairly certain that mammaries are exclusive to mammals. I'm pretty sure it's part of the definition, actually.[/quote]

I thought so, too, until I looked at the PHB.

Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

[quote="ekomega"]I thought so, too, until I looked at the PHB.[/quote]

Just as specific text trumps information that appears in a table, all texts trumps art. For the sake of all sanity.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Dragonmaster Zoc"]Just as specific text trumps information that appears in a table, all texts trumps art. For the sake of all sanity.[/quote]

Well, according to the text in the Ecology of the Dragonborn from this month's dragon, Dragonborn mother's nurse their young. Nursing requires mammeries. Therefore, the artwork is valid. :P

Chris

Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Well, according to the text in the Ecology of the Dragonborn from this month's dragon, Dragonborn mother's nurse their young. Nursing requires mammeries. Therefore, the artwork is valid. :P

Chris[/quote]

So now we have confirmation that Dragonborn are mammals, pretty much by definition.

Things always get weird when you try to cross-breed between different Classes of critter.

Alternatively, you can throw out everything in dragon as Expanded Universe stuff that's only canon when it doesn't contradict actual Canon.

I have a feeling that, much like females dwarves with facial hair and elves with a twenty-year infant stage, this is going to wind up as a DM setting-specific house ruling.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Personally, I don't think it really matters. It's a fantasy RPG. If he wants a busty dragonborn, more power to him.

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Santanus"]So is this meeting on Saturdays or Sundays? I live in Mira Mesa and would be interested in doing every other weekend. Like how many hours are you planning on per session?

Also, as I have previously posted, I am extremely rusty but very flexible and quite funny (of course, I am probably biased in my personal assessment) but I am a quick learner as well.

email me at [email]c_strows@yahoo.com[/email][/quote]

Hey Santanus,

I haven't answered your questions because Zoc pretty much answered them already. If you're okay with those terms, than you'll make our fourth, and that will make us ready to go.

Chris

ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Personally, I don't think it really matters. It's a fantasy RPG. If he wants a busty dragonborn, more power to him.

Chris[/quote]

Which stat is maximum boobage? There's obviously Charisma, but I thought maybe Constitution as well, since you have to have a lot of fortitude and back muscle strength.

Also, I don't think I'll be able to play. We'll see. My other game is recently incredibly irregular in schedule, and I don't see it changing soon. I'm surprised we even play as often as every other weekend, as is. I'm going to talk to them tomorrow.

And then I have to convince my girlfriend...

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Well, let us know. My hope is that we can have our first session on August 2nd.

Chris
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Well, let us know. My hope is that we can have our first session on August 2nd.

Chris[/quote]

I'm looking forward to it. We just need one more person? or is it two?

Or are we just going to go forward with what we have, to try and build momentum?

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Dragonmaster Zoc"]I'm looking forward to it. We just need one more person? or is it two?

Or are we just going to go forward with what we have, to try and build momentum?[/quote]

I'd like to have a secure 4, and right now we only have 2, with one possible third, and an interested 4th.

So, yeah, 2 more.

Chris

ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Are you guys set on the 8 hours time frame? 12-8 is a little grueling for me. It covers lunch AND dinner, and I'm not a big snacker. Of course, I don't matter unless I join the group, but I was wondering.

I talked with my group, and am mulling it over. I am seriously considering not being their DM anymore, and dropping out of the game entirely. Then I'll have a lot more free time. I'll let you know by this weekend, if not sooner.

Also, where is the game again?
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

[quote="ekomega"]Are you guys set on the 8 hours time frame? 12-8 is a little grueling for me. It covers lunch AND dinner, and I'm not a big snacker. Of course, I don't matter unless I join the group, but I was wondering.

I talked with my group, and am mulling it over. I am seriously considering not being their DM anymore, and dropping out of the game entirely. Then I'll have a lot more free time. I'll let you know by this weekend, if not sooner.

Also, where is the game again?[/quote]

Eight hours every other week is about four hours per week, the same as a "standard" game, in my experience. It is harsh because there's no room to eat in there, but we could solve that by ordering pizza or something about halfway through (or we could push it back an hour to allow for lunch before-hand, or some combination). I'm flexible.

The game will be at my apartment in Mira Mesa, the address being 9666 Carroll Canyon Road (if you want to mapquest it).

If you drop out of the game you're DMing, maybe one of your players wants to come with you?

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

The schedule is flexable, since we haven't actually started yet.

I just figured with only every other week, 8 hours would give us time to goof around and still get in some good playing. But, if you wanted to start later, and/or end sooner, I'd be open. What works better for you all?

- 12 to 6

- 2 to 8

- Some other period of time (please specify)

Also, as to a play space, I managed to secure a conference room at my office, also in Mira Mesa. It'll include comfy chairs, access to the vending machines in the break room, and a bigger game table. :) I'll PM address and directions to everyone that's coming.

Chris
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

[quote="BlanchPrez"]
Also, as to a play space, I managed to secure a conference room at my office, also in Mira Mesa. It'll include comfy chairs, access to the vending machines in the break room, and a bigger game table. :) I'll PM address and directions to everyone that's coming.
[/quote]

This does not bode well for me. Half of public transit shuts down for the weekend.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Dragonmaster Zoc"]This does not bode well for me. Half of public transit shuts down for the weekend.[/quote]

If you're in Mira Mesa, I might be able to pick you up and drop you off for the game.

Chris

ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

[quote="Dragonmaster Zoc"]
If you drop out of the game you're DMing, maybe one of your players wants to come with you?[/quote]

Maybe. The thought had crossed my mind.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Hey, guys, just remember that everything is flexable.

Zoc, if you'd rather host it at your place, we can do that. Not like my company is going to complain about us NOT using the facilities.

Chris
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

If the choice is between a house where we can't move (or eat?), and a big office with nice chairs, then I vote for the office.

But again, wait a few days for my vote to count. And I think I know someone (or two) to invite from my group.

How's character creation going to go? And do I need to own the books? (I have digital copies)
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="ekomega"]If the choice is between a house where we can't move (or eat?), and a big office with nice chairs, then I vote for the office.

But again, wait a few days for my vote to count. And I think I know someone (or two) to invite from my group.

How's character creation going to go? And do I need to own the books? (I have digital copies)[/quote]

I want to do char gen at the table, all at once. No, you do not need the books, I'll have mine (at least, I'll have... something). If you do have the books, though, then bring them. Extra copies don't hurt.

As for the particulars on char gen, I'm a fan of rolling dice to generate stats, but I'm not against someone using the point buy method either.

Preferably, everyone will generate stats all the same way, so that it's more even and "fair," but I'm also a big fan of group decisions on things like this. If everyone but one guy wants to use point buy, and no one minds the one guy rolling dice, then that's cool with me.

Also, for now, we're sticking with the classes in the PHB. Races too, but I'm allowing the Warforged per the Dragon article that was released last month. I thought about allowing the new play test Artificer, but the truth of the matter is I don't feel confident enough with the new rules yet to play test new material.

Chris

Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

If Eko knows two people who want to play, then my place is out of the question. I have five chairs, and fitting more around the table would be uncomfortable. A spacious office has the benefit of space, almost by definition.

As for character generation, I would say that I'm a fan of rolling dice. I prefer to have a couple of low scores for contrast, but it is impossible under the point system to have any score lower than an 8, and even then you can only have one score under a 10. From what I recall, there are adequate checks in place to allow for a re-roll if a rolled character would otherwise be "too weak."
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Well, I'm out. Sorry to disappoint. I was really excited about it.

I had a long conversation with one of my players (who is my girlfriend) which basically made it clear what a piece of shit I'd be if I just bailed on my friends/players without giving them a shot to address and fix our group's problems. It all made sense.

So as much as I would love to join, and bring a few folks with me, I can't just yet. There's still hope that this group won't change and I'll still leave, but it might be a month.

Sorry again.

P.S. I totally was going to ask about Warforged. Dang.
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Must unfortunate, that. On the bright side, it is entirely possible that your current situation will work out. It's not a hopeless effort unless you concede that it is.

It does decrease the likelihood of us finding two more players before next weekend, though.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="ekomega"]Well, I'm out. Sorry to disappoint. I was really excited about it.

I had a long conversation with one of my players (who is my girlfriend) which basically made it clear what a piece of shit I'd be if I just bailed on my friends/players without giving them a shot to address and fix our group's problems. It all made sense.

So as much as I would love to join, and bring a few folks with me, I can't just yet. There's still hope that this group won't change and I'll still leave, but it might be a month.

Sorry again.

P.S. I totally was going to ask about Warforged. Dang.[/quote]

No worries. At the rate we're not getting players, it may be that long before we have enough to start anyway. :P

And even if you're not playing, you can still ask any questions you want. So, ask away about Warforged.

Chris

ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]No worries. At the rate we're not getting players, it may be that long before we have enough to start anyway. :P

And even if you're not playing, you can still ask any questions you want. So, ask away about Warforged.

Chris[/quote]

Actually, I was just going to ask if I could play one. And the answer was satisfying.

Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Speaking of Warforged, I was kind of curious about the general setting. Thus far, all I know is the Warforged exist and Artificers do not.... which is kind of strange, at least from my understanding that Artificers were responsible for creating the Warforged. I'm sure you've already thought about that, though.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Update: I've decided that my other group will play one more game this Saturday, 8/2, and that will be our last game. After that, I will be happy to join this forming 4E group, and I will be bringing at least one person with me (one confirmed, maybe one other). Not sure when the first game of 4E could be, I have to clear everything up this weekend.

As for character creation, I think rolling dice for stats is stupid and unfair, and I strongly prefer to use the pre-assigned stats method (16,14,13,12,11,10) mentioned in the books. I know the other player I'm bringing agrees with me on this. Point buy is too complicated, and you have to pay too-high a price for anything above average.

Personally, I am tired of players trying to make characters who are retarded, stupid, or ugly, as a method of min/maxing combat potential, and then roleplaying their characters as they are none of the things. No one needs a stat below 10, and the only reason to have such a stat is to min/max.

I think it's nice to have a group of not-ugly characters who want to adventure together, rather than a bunch of hotties (normal players) with a fat friend (min/maxer).
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

[quote="ekomega"]
Personally, I am tired of players trying to make characters who are retarded, stupid, or ugly, as a method of min/maxing combat potential, and then roleplaying their characters as they are none of the things. [/quote]

It would seem that the designers agree with you, which is why they updated the default stats for fourth edition to what you have mentioned.

While I, too, am tired of all of the min/maxxers with their Strength of 3 or Charisma of 5 (basically, whatever they feel like they can justify or get away with), I disagree with 10 being the limit.

I think that people under-estimitate what an "average" person can do; an Intelligence of 8 isn't a total idiot, and a Dexterity of 8 isn't a complete klutz. We deal with people in the 8-12 stat range every day. In my opinion, any character who doesn't have at least one below average stat is unrealistic, if not an outright MarySue. Even heroes need flaws.

I think the real problem comes with people who don't play their stats, or have stats that are cripplingly low. It can be a problem when someone with a Wisdom of 3 does something foolish and the whole party suffers, or when a Strength 1 halfling gets trapped in a room because he's too weak to open the door, and that kind of nonsense is a good reason to prohibit such comically low stats. Likewise, it breaks suspension of disbelief when a character with a supposed 18 in Intelligence and Wisdom does something dumb, like drinking the unidentified green liquid, or if someone with a 3 in those stats somehow develops a cunning plan to get out of a tight situation.

The entire appeal of rolling dice for stats lies in the challenge: can you, if it comes to it, play a character with below average intelligence but very high charisma? How would it influence your playstyle if you had very few hit points? A lot of people like the added challenge, especially since they started putting in safeguards that guarantee a certain minimum and maximum stat bonus. Even with those in place, though, it can lead to an unplayable character (anything with a 3 or 4 in a mental stat), and that's no fun to have in the party.

Personally, I would advocate the point buy system conditionally: all of the stats it produces are in the "playable" range, and there's no math necessary, since the book has a long list of pre-calculated assortments.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'm okay with holding off the first game so we can get a full group together.

Also, I'm okay with whatever method of char gen you guys want to use, I would just prefer that everyone in the party use the same method. But, we can decide that on day one, as I don't allow players to make characters before the game. As a GM, I find it's better for party unity if everyone makes their characters at once.

Chris
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

FYI, I've already read through Keep on the Shadowfell, and played part of it, so if the adventure path includes this, I will try and forget.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="ekomega"]FYI, I've already read through Keep on the Shadowfell, and played part of it, so if the adventure path includes this, I will try and forget.[/quote]

Nope. I'm creating the whole path from scratch. :)

Chris

ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

By "Adventure Path" do you mean a story on rails, i.e. railroading? How much free choice will we have?

Also, I really like skill challenges, so I hope you make those a regular feature. I also like skill challenges and combats together, like the alternate challenge that was added to the end of Keep on the Shadowfell.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="ekomega"]By "Adventure Path" do you mean a story on rails, i.e. railroading? How much free choice will we have?

Also, I really like skill challenges, so I hope you make those a regular feature. I also like skill challenges and combats together, like the alternate challenge that was added to the end of Keep on the Shadowfell.[/quote]

By adventure path, I mean there's an overarching story that will cover the entire campaign. I tend to not make my campaigns prior to starting, so there will be just this one adventure written before starting, then I make up the other adventures, trying to incorporate player backgrounds and decisions into them, keeping in mind my story.

What I am saying is that I have a plan, but it's written around player actions.

And thanks for letting me know you like skill challenges. I try to tailor my adventures around my players desires. I'm a fan of action adventure, so there will be combat in these stories, be warned, but I will try to balance that with skill challenges. I find the games are more fun if there's a little bit of everything.

I also plan on having purely role-playing scenes, as well. So, it will feature a little bit of everything.

Chris

ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Some other questions:

1) For Minions in combat, do you plan to a) clearly indicate them, b)there is no way to tell, or c) skill check to find out?

2) For skill challenges, do you plan to tell us what the skills required are, or is it a crap shoot?
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="ekomega"]Some other questions:

1) For Minions in combat, do you plan to a) clearly indicate them, b)there is no way to tell, or c) skill check to find out?

2) For skill challenges, do you plan to tell us what the skills required are, or is it a crap shoot?[/quote]

1) I'll indicate they are minions in some way ("they're smaller than the other goblins" "these zombies seem like they're ready to just fall apart") but it might not be a simple "these are minions." In my opinion, minions are noticeable in some very obvious physical way.

2) Good question. They way the rules for skill challenges are set up, it seems like I should allow players to use whatever skill they want, and thus my instinct is to not tell you, but at the same time, some skills should be pretty obvious. Having never run a skill challenge before, I guess I'll wing it and see what works best.

Chris

Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

I'm sure all of that will depend on the situation at hand. If we find a mysterious object, for example, asking for a particular kind of check to identify it might give away too much information. Likewise, while it might be obvious that the kobolds mixed in with a group of orcs are obviously the minions involved, sometimes a significant NPC will want to pose as a mook, and it would be unfair for us to know the specifics involved.

I'm still waiting for the answer of how Warforged arise without Artificers, but I can wait for setting details until the time for character creation.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

[quote="Dragonmaster Zoc"]I'm sure all of that will depend on the situation at hand. If we find a mysterious object, for example, asking for a particular kind of check to identify it might give away too much information. [/quote]

As for the above quote, this is entirely covered by the Arcana skill, as mentioned in the PHB.

I was speaking of skill challenges, not merely skill checks.

I like the idea that Keith Baker (of Eberron) had, which is that he lets you know what the primary skills for solving a challenge are (although it should be obvious what those are from the challenge), but makes the players figure out what the secondary skills are. As long as we are not penalized for guessing a skill to use and being wrong (say by getting a failure), then I don't mind not knowing what the primary skills are. But I don't think it's fair to keep them secret if we accumulate failures for using the wrong skills.

Other questions:

1) How many players do we have now? (including me and my friend)

2) Can I play a wandering loner, with no ties to anyone, and with nothing to live for and nothing to lose?

3) Can I play a genasi? I want to be a tactical warlord, and they are the only race that gets a bonus to STR and INT. I was thinking of the water genasi. They are featured here: [url]http://wizards.com/rpga/downloads/rpga4_frpgpreview.zip[/url]