The History of Batman...

All kinds of spooky goodness. A forum for the discussion of horror RPGs.
Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

The History of Batman...

Post by Drew »

In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

really neat. but c'mon, history channel. you're stretchin' it.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]really neat. but c'mon, history channel. you're stretchin' it.[/quote]
"Stretchin' it"? What, is Gotham City somehow outside the limits of history for you? Typical West Coast liberal attitude.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

west coast's the best coast. respect. wes-sy-eed.

in all honesty, i'm a little sick of these east coast/west coast superhero rivalries. ugh! i mean, can't we just agree that all superheroes, regardless of which coast they claim as home, are equally talented? the feuds must end, people. respect.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I look forward to that show. I will have to DVR it and watch it at my leisure.

I find the psychological aspects to Batman and the characters most compelling. Much like a lot of great comics there was niche or nerve that touches the public. Batman has the corner(grief/tragedy) on that market IMO or at least was one of the first to have it as a theme through out most of its comics...at least the good ones. Mostly in the aspects to grief and trauma.

To me there was a sort of cerebral intellectualism with batman mixed with emotional chaos. I think future comics/characters owe a lot to this character like the Punisher and the Watchmen.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I think it's interesting that our first two superheroes were Superman and Batman. They still mark opposite ends of the spectrum -- from shining hero motivated by altruism and the public good to dark hero motivated by revenge and inner demons -- and every superhero since can be plotted somewhere on that spectrum between them (IMO).
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

inneresting. there's probably a similar essay out there about this supposed superhero spectrum, but you should write it just to be safe.

just to add another wrinkle, the visual representation of the two are starkly opposed. on the one side you have an unmasked, brawny golden boy from the midwest sporting a loud palette of blue and red with some yellow-- a bright, eye-catching patriotic banner. on the other you have a brooding figure's identity obsured by a cowl in a duller, muted combination of blue and gray with bits of yellow-- a dark and mysterious rodent animus. their respective logos, semiotics, color schemes, and what each of these aspects say about the individuals would be well worth comparing.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]inneresting. there's probably a similar essay out there about this supposed superhero spectrum, but you should write it just to be safe.

just to add another wrinkle, the visual representation of the two are starkly opposed. on the one side you have an unmasked, brawny golden boy from the midwest sporting a loud palette of blue and red with some yellow-- a bright, eye-catching patriotic banner. on the other you have a brooding figure's identity obsured by a cowl in a duller, muted combination of blue and gray with bits of yellow-- a dark and mysterious rodent animus. their respective logos, semiotics, color schemes, and what each of these aspects say about the individuals would be well worth comparing.[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about -- opposites in every way.

And yeah, I'm sure that essay -- the one that talks about how Superman, who never experienced having a family, effectively acts as the protective father figure for the Earth that he never had himself, while Batman, who once knew what it was to be in a loving and secure before he witnessed his parents' deaths, works tirelessly to ensure that no one else has to experience the loss that he did -- has been written.

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]inneresting. there's probably a similar essay out there about this supposed superhero spectrum, but you should write it just to be safe.

just to add another wrinkle, the visual representation of the two are starkly opposed. on the one side you have an unmasked, brawny golden boy from the midwest sporting a loud palette of blue and red with some yellow-- a bright, eye-catching patriotic banner. on the other you have a brooding figure's identity obsured by a cowl in a duller, muted combination of blue and gray with bits of yellow-- a dark and mysterious rodent animus. their respective logos, semiotics, color schemes, and what each of these aspects say about the individuals would be well worth comparing.[/quote]

Ah yes and you can also derive that supermans colors contain the base spectrum of chromatic colors while batman is monochromatic with blue. Like wise your obsrvation of the animus chest symbol of batman is in contrast to supermans single letter script.

Oddly as well that supermans persona is static and batmans interpretations have been very dynamic

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]Oddly as well that supermans persona is static and batmans interpretations have been very dynamic[/quote]
Well, I dunno about that -- Superman's certainly gone through his share of permutations, not the least of which is "dick."

[url=http://superdickery.com/index.php?view=category&id=28%3Asuperdickery&option=com_content&Itemid=24][img]http://superdickery.com/images/stories/dick/1027_4_115.jpg[/img][/url]

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Nice I like how he's fucking with Olsen
Dragonkin
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Dragonkin »

[quote="Skyman"]Oddly as well that supermans persona is static and batmans interpretations have been very dynamic[/quote]

Actually, when he was first created, and early on in his series, Superman was actually quite a bully. This was due to his creators being the skinny, wimpy nerds that always got picked on. They used Supes as their outlet for their geeky frustration.

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!