GameTap

Miniatures, Boardgames, video games, etc.
Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

GameTap

Post by Drew »

Got a subscription to GameTap. For the price of a couple of games, you can play more than 1,000 games - mostly older, but they do get a few new releases, well, one- or two- year old anyway. Very good collection of RPGs and Stratagy games. Interplay has some of their games there: Balder's Gate(s), Icewind Dale(s) and Planescape are there now. Fallout is coming this summer.

I could not get it to work with Win XP SP3. Had to downgrade to SP2 to get it to work. Think it has more to do with my laptop than anything though.
In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

How does it work exactly? Do you download the games, and can only access them as long as you subscribe, or what?

I notice their ads have a lot of old console games. Do you get an emulator, etc.?
Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Drew »

Basically, yeah. But you have access to every game during that time. I like it because I usually get bored with games after playing them for a few hours, so for the price of one new game and one bargin game ($60) I can play more than 1,000 for a year. Granted most of them are crap, but there are several games that I have always wanted to try but never did.

Like I said, it's $60 for a year or something like 9.99 a month. I think they have a .99 introductory offer, but not sure. I saw that there were at least three games I had considered buying and just bought the year figuring if I only ever play those three, I got my money's worth. Of course, I've alrady downloaded a few more than those three. :mrgreen:

To play, you have to download the gametap player which mounts all the games for you so all you have to do is download and play, providing you don't run into technical difficulties like I did with my laptop. No problems with my desktop though. You also need to be connected to the internet at all times to play.
In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.