Need GURPS Players in North County.

Post by mongo »

Gfys.
Pain is temporary, Pride is forever.
Shoby187
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Shoby187 »

Damn,

I would really like to join you guys but I don't know if I could make a Saturday night game.

When do you guys start/end?
mongo

When we play.

Post by mongo »

We generally play Saturday nights around five o'clock, but that can be very flexible with other people's work schedules, as needed. We generally play late into early Sunday morning, when we play Saturday nights.

When the Host is off work Saturdays, he picks up one of our non-driving players, and I take them home, at night's end.

This weekend one of our ( regular and involved ) players is out of town, so we will actually be playing tomorrow morning at nine, and the Host will be picking up two non-driving players. The Host already scheduled a night time social activity, for himself, and my wife scheduled my nightime social activity for me.

We sometimes play Friday nights, if our weekly Saturday Night game meets a snag. The Host is the "Edge of Steam Technology" GM and we play at his house in San Marcos. Fridays have been infrequent mainly because of evening commute times for myself, and our ( currently out of town ) involved player, since we both have M-F regular jobs.

What is your situation on Saturdays, do you work, and then have a drive up to this area to factor in, or something like that? We are eager to get intelligent / creative / self transporting players for our game if possible. Let me know your availability, and I'll see what next weekends scheduled game time looks like.
Userzerosix

Post by Userzerosix »

I would also like more information on your gaming group.
How many members?
Ages (broad ie: 20-25, 25-30, 30-35, ext)
Gender? - haha my wife would like to know that one
Food Status? My old group always ordered pizzas on our gaming nights

If you have any questions for me let me know.
mongo

Post by mongo »

[quote="Userzerosix"]I would also like more information on your gaming group.

How many members?

Ages (broad ie: 20-25, 25-30, 30-35, ext)

Gender? - haha my wife would like to know that one

Food Status? My old group always ordered pizzas on our gaming nights

If you have any questions for me let me know.[/quote]

Well, she can rest assured that there are no "Victoria's Secret " models having pillow fights at our game night get togethers. We had one female player, that was an excellent player, but she moved out of state, about the middle of last year.

Neither the "Host", nor the assorted players bring their spouses / significant others to the game night. My wife knows I'm a nerd, yet doesn't need to see it in "action". She refers to it as 'N'URPS, not GURPS.

We are all regular guys, two are mid twenties, one is late twenties, and two of us are mid to late thirties. We generally have three players on a regular basis, with the other two being able to play, when their work schedules allow it. About half of us are former ARMY, or USMC.

So last night was a banner turn out with five players, and myself running the evening's session. It is a rare Saturday night, if we have more than three players, plus the GM. We have two main GM's, that trade off duties, and one GM that just started to try his hand at GM'ing, but shows great potential.

We "collectively" order pizza about every third game session, with the majority of the players bringing their favorite soda's, and food for personal consumption the rest of the time. We don't have a "food fund", or anything like that, but there is almost always some kind of soft drink available, and the "Host" is a "foodey" who likes to cook, and bake. He is hyperglycemic, and has to eat alot, and doesn't mind sharing, within reason of course.

There is always at least one of "those guys" in each group, that never brings anything, yet still eats and drinks more than their fair share. My advice is if you like a brand of soda, bring it, and if you catch a good sale, then maybe you might be able to share. If you are used to eating at a certain time, bring it and eat it when you want. No drooling / begging dogs will accost you. However I have learned to share with the two cats, that are in residence. I bribed them not to attack me.

Questions for you? Have you played GURPS before? Where (generally) do you live? Do you want to play weekly, on Saturday nights, with the occasional Friday night, when Saturdays won't work?

Are you familiar with the GURPS Banestorm setting? Do you like High Fantasy / cinematic campaigns, or alternate technology Fantasy campaigns? Are you self transporting, and able to play late, when we play?

That's about all of the questions I can think of, and feel free to ask me more of your own, if you wish.

Userzerosix

Post by Userzerosix »

Most expierence with D&D 2nd, 3rd, and some 3.5. Also played L5R , Some starwars, and Alternity. So no i'm not particularly familiar with banestorm; however, it can be taught. Campain wise I like both fantasty and futuristic so long as it has a decent story line not just go anywhere, kill anything. Not that i'm against that sort of thing all the time I just prefer actually role playing. I am self transportating and I can play late. I wouldn't mind the excuse to get out of the house weekly, with the occasional friday night *I'm flexible*. And i reside round abouts the Vista/Oceanside area.
mongo

When do you want to start?

Post by mongo »

We will be playing again next Saturday night, at our usual place, in San Marcos. We play at one of the GM's house, up behind Cal State San Marcos, just off Twin Oaks Valley Rd.

We will be playing around 4:30 pm, but that time hasn't been set in stone yet. I'll have to double check with the others, as to what their work schedules are, but I know the "Host" is off Saturday.

We should probably get you there early, if not a different day, to coach you on the system. It's very simple to learn, but can become complex if you're into unique types of characters, or spell casters.

There are only four main "Stats" Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Health. Then there are four secondary "Stats" based upon the four main ones. Then there are "Advantages" to buy, skills to buy, and to get more "points" you can take Disadvantages, that give your character personality and motivation.

GURPS uses Character Points, to allow the player to "design" his hero of choice, so if you dump all of your points into physical abilities, there will be fewer points left, for the mental.

GURPS uses 3d6 for everything involving succes, or failure "checks". Basically, you roll below your target number for success. So a skill level of 14, or an attribute (Stat) of 14, would require an unmodified roll below that number, when you add those three dice together.

Oops, I gotta get to work! If you can check out "www.sjgames.com" they have some stuff you can download for free. Try to find "GURPS Lite" and give it a once over. I'll talk to you again later.
Userzerosix

Post by Userzerosix »

Thats not a problem, I've played similiar systems i'm sure. But character development is always what takes time for me. Let me know what your plans are for the weekend either a friday night cram session, or just early on saturday either way works for me.
mongo

E-mail on the way.

Post by mongo »

Just a heads up, that I sent you an E-mail this morning. Check your "Bulk" buffer, if it doesn't go to regular Mail. It has some contact information, and such, that I would not normally post on the "wide open" Forum's board.
mongo

Where did you go?

Post by mongo »

Well we are still looking.

Userzerosix fell off the face of the planet, and all we have is his E-mail address. Which we get no response from. If you find Userzerosix wandering lost out there some where, let him know we enjoyed his one time visit to our game session. and just want to know WTF? :confused:

If anyone else wants to play GURPS in North County, we are still here, up behind Cal State San Marcos.

From Mongo / ( Mad Douglas to others. )
mongo

Anyone else out there?

Post by mongo »

We are still looking, and since our D&D Meetup ( North County ) Group is running off members :machinegu, I thought I would try here again.

Brief description; GURPS 4th edition, Fantasy/Banestorm setting, three possible campaigns, and three possible GM's. Played in San Marcos, up behind Cal State San Marcos, off Twin Oaks Valley Rd. and the 78 Freeway, each Saturday night.
Digital_Boy
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Digital_Boy »

I'm reading Steve Jackson's game page about Banestorm. What kind of character classes/skillsets/tech levels do you allow?

Banestorm seems to mix the traditional elves/dwarves/magic with the element of the Banestorm bringing in offworlders from different types of worlds.

Sounds pretty neat, but I'd like to see what kind of spin both GM's put on it. Straight D&D style is okay, but I really like the idea of being able to do the "connecticut yankee in king arthur's court" thing too.
mongo

Post by mongo »

[quote="Digital_Boy"]I'm reading Steve Jackson's game page about Banestorm. What kind of character classes/skillsets/tech levels do you allow?

Banestorm seems to mix the traditional elves/dwarves/magic with the element of the Banestorm bringing in offworlders from different types of worlds.

Sounds pretty neat, but I'd like to see what kind of spin both GM's put on it. Straight D&D style is okay, but I really like the idea of being able to do the "connecticut yankee in king arthur's court" thing too.[/quote]

The two main Gm's, myself and "Monte", both have D&D influenced worlds, with mine being the most "High Fantasy". Niether of us has any "Class" restrictions, other than that already detailed in Banestorm. Basically you probably won't have a chance to be a "Necromancer", as most of the major societies still frown on that sort of thing. Unless you have a creative idea, and can come up with a plausible background, as to how you are a "gunslinging, halfling alchemist, able to leap tall Dragons in a single puff of your jet pack", I would say "Let us know first", before making a character. I do not allow "pure" psionics in my campaign, but allow some players to take magical abilities, that mimic "Psionics". It is a major story element in my version of Banestorm, that prohibits the "understanding" of what would be classified as true "psionics".

In my campaign the Ministry of Serendipty is an active organization, that tries to control radical technological advances. I would let you start with an up to tech level six character, but you would have to be a cautious "Connecticut Yankee" in your work, or risk being detained, and having your memory/mind altered. The "world" is still predominanlty Tech level three. In my campaign, the Ministry really exerts great amounts of energy, to prevent the "discovery" of gunpowder. The players currently have two "transplanted" NPC's, that have ideas, and information from "Alternate Earths", with divergent timelines, "working" with them in their endeavors. The main player character ( Monte's ) is a Status level 4 ,Mage, who is conquering the Orclands, and is planning to rule it as "Lord Regent". One player married, and is having children with, one of these "New Arrival" NPC's, and she is from an "Alternate" version of 1918 Cardiff, England, during WWI. She is not an "artificer", or handy, other than being very good with politics, influencing people, and being an all around "get information from anyone / get society doors to open for her" type of character.

In "Monte's" campaign, we are pretty normal also, but I know ( not my character, but me as a friend of the GM ) that we will have the opportunity to "switch worlds" soon. The GM has discovered the "Castle Falkenstein" world setting, from GURPS 3rd Edition, and is planning a crossover campaign for us, to introduce his "steamtech & magic" world. Other than that information, I don't know what else to expect. He has talked about starting us with "modern" low level, characters, that get transported to a world where we suddenly get "fantastic" powers, and abilities. He has talked about the "Jericho" TV series also, but I haven't watched it, and don't know if he is referring to one campaign world setting, or an element of that show.

We are playing this Friday night, whereas we normally play Saturdays. You are welcome to drive up, drop in, and check it out if you would like.

We are currently playing in my campaign, and I have a "hand out" Elven Druid, if you're interested, or don't have the time to make a character. The players are VERY HIGH level in my campaign, and we would need to meet face to face, in order to make your character. I would hate to have you make a 600 point character on your own, only to show up and have to make a bunch of changes, because we might do things differently, or it would be better if you made a "fill in the blank" type of character instead.

Well, got to get to work, talk at you later, from Mongo.

mongo

Scared off another one?

Post by mongo »

I have had no response to my last posting, the one that I thought would answer Digital Boy's question.

Is he still out there? :confused:

I'm just trying to classify my level of rejection. Was it something I said, how I said it, or do people in San Diego routinely feign interest, and then never reply?

Well we're still up here in North County, struggling to find above average gamers that want to go beyond the confines of D&D. :cry:
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

I don't think it's just San Diego players, but there's a lot of that here. New players are rude a-holes, most of the time (in my experience).

I remember a player from these boards coming to one game session, then saying he would come to the next, then not answering his phone and not meeting at his chosen meeting time (for a ride) right before the next game. We thought he was coming, then suddenly he fell off the Earth.

BTW, he still posts on here. I think that takes some kind of nerve to be so rude. Never understood why people can't just say, "it's not my cup of tea" and be done with it. I'm a grown-up, I won't have hurt feelings if you didn't like the game.

But, it's like breaking up, in that if you're on the receiving end, you can't get the answers you want -- and it's better that way. Just let it go, because "it's them, not you".

It's kind of what you get when the main fanbase of a product is a bunch of anti-social people trying to be social. I think that's why WoW is so popular -- it's DnD without actually having to see "real" people and have them smell your nacho breath*.

* Note - I have good hygiene.
Digital_Boy
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Digital_Boy »

[quote="mongo"]I have had no response to my last posting, the one that I thought would answer Digital Boy's question.

Is he still out there? :confused:

I'm just trying to classify my level of rejection. Was it something I said, how I said it, or do people in San Diego routinely feign interest, and then never reply?

Well we're still up here in North County, struggling to find above average gamers that want to go beyond the confines of D&D. :cry:[/quote]

Mongo,

Not rejecting your offer, but my job is supporting network equipment for the FAA, so I have to keep the company issue cell phone handy, and it's known to ring at odd hours of the evening and night time/early morning. Friday I was more or less dead, since I'd had to work a night shift like I did tonight to do a system upgrade. I crawled into bed not long after work Friday and was out until almost noon Saturday.

Apologies for any misunderstandings. If you or whomever hosts could PM me with an address, there shouldn't be any fires to put out after Friday. We've had a DS3 mux that was giving us fits trying to do a firmware upgrade, and we had to get the vendor involved to fix it, but it's fixed, so things are quieting down now.

mongo

I don't stink?

Post by mongo »

I thought it was time to change deoderant, again. I promise to be freshly showered, and fresh smelling, when you "can" make it to a game. :mrgreen:

Any how, we are playing this Friday night, at "Monte's" house, in San Marcos. I will PM you with the details, and address, and see what transpires.

If it doesn't work out this weekend, that's fine, there is always next Saturday, which is our next, "proposed", get together.

Sorry to come off all "ex girlfriend" like. I figured "if it nudges some one to respond" then so be it.:redface:

Talk at you later, from Mongo.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

If it makes you feel any better, I'm having flaky player woes, too. One of them has a good excuse, another of them just kind of disappeared. It's just the nature of the gamerflake, I'm afraid.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Well I'm glad that worked out for now. Not easy getting folks together to game. Mostly since most of us have life circumstances and responsibilities we are part of that can take us away.

So hang in there mongo.
mongo

Thanks guys.

Post by mongo »

Thanks.

Some times it feels like not many others out there play face to face anymore. What with WoW, and the text message obsession, it's a small wonder we can communicate , as a society, at all.

Thus, finding someone interested in a similar social gaming genre, is all the more infrequent. When I do interact with some one that is "interested", I tend to like to have a chance to game with them, at least once.

Our group still doesn't know what happened to Userzerosix. He showed up once, said he was on his way the following week, he even called to say he would be late. Then 'poof', a newly formed micro singularity swallowed him up, never to be heard from again. Never answered his cell number, or responded to E-mails.

Now, with gas prices, it looks less likely that our group will be "stealing" gamers from down your way. Hopefullly we can entice a few gamers from the "middle regions" of the county, into coming to San Marcos.

By the way, Neuromancer, if you're still living in Olivenhain, there is a new road through the Elfin Forest/ San Elijo Hills community, that directly links to Twin Oaks Valley Rd, and the 78 Freeway.:wink:
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Yeah, I'm still in Olivenhain. What's the road?? Thanks for that :)

I'm currently trying an experiment in online roleplaying in various media. I'm using a MUSH, a bulletin board, and email. I'm still making final decisions about the code for dice-rolling and system. If it works out, I'll open it up a little further and ask for interested players. The hope is for people to be able to spend as much or as little time at it as they'd like and to be able to play directly with each other when there's time.

The face to face thing is nice and I don't do it often anymore due to a too-complicated and over-scheduled life. Also, I found recently that I missed the very direct, consuming feeling of the kind of roleplay you can manage when people are writing, really writing, rather than speaking, and forced to convey much more detail.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

I once had someone come to a game and then tell me that he couldn't play anymore, because he "had to move to Los Angeles because he didn't have any more electricity in his apartment".

Anyway, not to derail the thread, I just remembered this and thought it was funny.