RPG SD Meet who can make it?

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.

Are you interested in attending RPG-SD meet 4?

I'll pay up to $25
No votes
I'll pay up to $25
No votes
I'll pay up to $25
6%
I'll pay up to $25
22%
I'll pay up to $25
11%
I'll pay up to $25
22%
I'll pay up to $25
39%

Total votes: 18

cczernia

RPG SD Meet who can make it?

Post by cczernia »

It looks like we might have a problem with hosting this year. Anyway I was think about the possibility of renting a room or two. With this in mind we might need to charge and I was curious how much people are willing to spend and if you are interested.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Anyway I was think about the possibility of renting a room or two. [/quote]
My only real objection to this is what we're going to do when we're not playing. I mean, we're used to lots of hanging out, eating a fine home-cooked meal, and etc. Are we just going to hang out in the hotel lobby or something? Also, keep in mind that for Strategicon(s), they actually remove all of the furniture from the room and install a table in its place. We won't have that luxury.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i'm fine with pizzas, drinks, movies, boardgames and cardgames during downtime. we're a resourceful group. i'm sure we can come up with something.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]My only real objection to this is what we're going to do when we're not playing. I mean, we're used to lots of hanging out, eating a fine home-cooked meal, and etc. Are we just going to hang out in the hotel lobby or something? Also, keep in mind that for Strategicon(s), they actually remove all of the furniture from the room and install a table in its place. We won't have that luxury.[/quote]

I didn't know if it was Strategicon or the hotel that provided the tables. No matter where we end up I'm sure we'll find a good place to hang out.

Another possibility would be two rent a suite. Not the kind that we got for Gencon but a smaller one. If we can have them remove the bed one of us can bring a table. That would provide two rooms plus kitchen stuff.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="cczernia"]That would provide two rooms plus kitchen stuff.[/quote]that would be pretty sweet.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Some hotels have conference rooms and such also, so that might be an option.
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Well I'd love to attend as a former SD gamer. The last few were cool. Plus I'd pony up cash for the privilege what with the two jobs I'm working down here in the desert.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mrlost"]Well I'd love to attend as a former SD gamer. The last few were cool. Plus I'd pony up cash for the privilege what with the two jobs I'm working down here in the desert.[/quote]
Just as an aside: Where are you now? El Centro-ish?

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

[quote="devlin1"]Just as an aside: Where are you now? El Centro-ish?[/quote]
Yep. I work at the Ocotillo Wells State Park, where the county line actually runs. But I'm living down by El Centro, where I also substitute teach on my days off from doing Archaeology.

Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="mrlost"]Yep. I work at the Ocotillo Wells State Park, where the county line actually runs. [/quote]

No kidding? That's awesome, I absolutely love it out there!

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Shoby187
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Shoby187 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Some hotels have conference rooms and such also, so that might be an option.[/quote]

Ok, I don't want to get anyones hopes up, but I MIGHT be able to help with a place.

I haven't been to the last meet ups so I'd probably need more info on what goes on but I am a Systems Manager for the 5 big Marriott's in San Diego and I might be able to help work out something (if nothing else I can probably help get a good discount, etc on something).

How many people usually show up? How long do we need a place for, etc?

I don't know exactly what I can arrange but currently I am the 'IT guy' at the Marriott Marina downtown, the Mission Valley, Del Mar, La Jolla and Coronado Island Marriott's.

I talked with someone here about the possibility and she said that if its slow and we just need a room to sit in I could probably use a conference room or two and they wouldn't charge me.

Let me know what we would need and I'll see if I can help.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mrlost"]Yep. I work at the Ocotillo Wells State Park, where the county line actually runs. But I'm living down by El Centro, where I also substitute teach on my days off from doing Archaeology.[/quote]
That is like WAY cool....well, actually probably really hot with the weather and all. I'm glad your doing what you want

[quote="Shoby187"]Ok, I don't want to get anyones hopes up, but I MIGHT be able to help with a place.

I haven't been to the last meet ups so I'd probably need more info on what goes on but I am a Systems Manager for the 5 big Marriott's in San Diego and I might be able to help work out something (if nothing else I can probably help get a good discount, etc on something).

How many people usually show up? How long do we need a place for, etc?

I talked with someone here about the possibility and she said that if its slow and we just need a room to sit in I could probably use a conference room or two and they wouldn't charge me.

Let me know what we would need and I'll see if I can help.[/quote]

Well Shoby, in the fewest words I can think of, THAT is fucking rad!!!

If you can do it that is...if not, well it was worth a shot, and we still love ya....just not like...like...you know....that kinda special way.

Last year we had around 15-18 peeps. The Years before that we had around 12-14 peeps

Usually consisted of us starting at 12 noon and wrapping up around 1am-ish. Usually running 2-3 games comprised of 1GM and 4-6 players of about 4-5 hours sessions each. Last year we had two session with 3 tables of RPGs. We usually bring a pot luck of stuff and must I say we have some great cooks/Bakers in our company...Cough *Liz*cough*Sam*cough

I hope this helps

Shoby187
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Shoby187 »

Is there a specific date that you guys wanted to meet up on? I'm assuming a Saturday right?
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="Skyman"]... must I say we have some great cooks/Bakers in our company...Cough *Liz*cough*Sam*cough[/quote]

I think you forgot your own Mad Kitchen Skillz there, Simon.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Shoby187"]Is there a specific date that you guys wanted to meet up on? I'm assuming a Saturday right?[/quote]

We'll end up voting on this. It is usually set in late March or April. Everyone submits games they would like to run. We then vote on the games people want to play the most.

The host submits a few days that works best for them and we vote and the days people can't make it. So far it has been on a Saturday.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Shoby, maybe you can find out from the hotels what days would work best for them? Then we could pick from there...

Incidentally, I didn't vote on this referendum yet, but I'd surely pony up cash if needed.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I was just doing a wee bit of math and noticed that if we had 11 people willing to donate $15, we'd probably have enough to rent a hotel conference room for a good part of the day. It might not be a great room, but... y'know.

I believe my apartment complex's clubhouse rents for something like $300 a day. That's balls crazy. It's a nice room, though.
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Okay, we've let this set for a couple weeks now, but let's get it back on track, people!

Shoby, do you need a specific date from us before you can try to sort something out using your mad connectionz? Is it possible to work the other way -- that is, you give us some available dates at different locations so we can pick the time and place that works best?
Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Yeah, we usually take a while to vote on games & sort all that out, so getting a move on is a good idea.

If Shoby can get us space, that would be great - but he did caution its a maybe situation. We should keep alternate avenues open, obviously. I'm ok if we need to chip in for a space, as are a lot of other folks apparently, so that's good. Would Game Empire or GameTowne reserve us space if we paid them? I know Game Empire doesn't usually, but maybe if there was money involved.. Does GameTowne have a gaming room currently?

I would say we could always just use a park or something if need be, but that's limited to daylight hours, rain is an issue this time of year, etc. I do have several fold-up tables big enough for a game apiece if we have a space and no tables though. folding chairs or something would be needed, and a way to get them there, but that's an option if we end up with a space but no gaming furniture..
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I took a look at a couple of sites and I think we could get a room. According to the poll we could have a budget around $200. That seemed like the going price at a couple hotels.

I also saw a site where we could bid out a meeting room. We say how much money we are willing to spend plus the amount of people, and time we need for and let the hotels choose us.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Scolopendra
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Scolopendra »

I need an excuse to use vacation time. This sounds like a good one.
Just in case anyone wants to watch me run something.

I'll have you know I've been doing this since I was six.
Proud user of the "Are you sure you want to do that?" Clueless Player Warning System.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]I took a look at a couple of sites and I think we could get a room. According to the poll we could have a budget around $200. That seemed like the going price at a couple hotels.

I also saw a site where we could bid out a meeting room. We say how much money we are willing to spend plus the amount of people, and time we need for and let the hotels choose us.[/quote]

I think we'd better get on this. If we're going to try to pull this off next month (is that the plan?), we need to get our shit together.

We need to nail down a time and place, and do the usual polling about who's going to run what. I believe I'll start a thread re: the latter.

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]
We need to nail down a time and place, and do the usual polling about who's going to run what. I believe I'll start a thread re: the latter.[/quote]

I don't want to nail down a date until we find a place. Since we are having to tackle this issue I think the meet will happen in April or May.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]I don't want to nail down a date until we find a place. Since we are having to tackle this issue I think the meet will happen in April or May.[/quote]
Seems likely.

April, I probably can't do, but May's a possibility.

BTW, where were you finding an all-day meeting room rental for $200 in San Diego? The cheapest I found was, well, more.

Mike Olson
Neni
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Neni »

Hello all, I'm new here. My husband and I would be interested in attending and willing to pay.
"Sanity is for the Weak" Amber Panyko
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

sweet! welcome, neni. looking forward to meeting you guys.
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Any updates?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

None really. The cheapest place I could find was $400. We essentially have a budget of $200. I have to prep for my wedding and can't really put anymore time to it and I really have no idea what exactly I am looking for.
  • Libraries and community centers: $50/hr
  • Most hotels for 8+ hours was $400 and up
  • Other places like meeting halls where really expensive $1000+
The one possibility I didn't really look into was hotel rooms (ala strategicon). We could probably get a room for $100/night. We get two rooms and that would fit our budget.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I say we hook up with SDSU's or UCSD's or some college's RPG club.
Mike Olson
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

1. I agree with Devlin. Cheaper is almost universally better. Though there are some circumstances in which it is not, they shouldn't be mentioned in this thread.

2. In the event cheap locations are not forthcoming, I can get access to a large, attractive, well furnished room with many large tables, a functional kitchen and patio balcony seating. $250 for the day, available 8:30 am to 10-11pm. It's in Carmel Valley, just off the 5.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Sadohara"]
2. In the event cheap locations are not forthcoming, I can get access to a large, attractive, well furnished room with many large tables, a functional kitchen and patio balcony seating. $250 for the day, available 8:30 am to 10-11pm. It's in Carmel Valley, just off the 5.[/quote]

Sounds good to me. What is the place?

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Just by the by, I emailed the president of Darkstar, UCSD's sci-fi/fantasy/gaming club, last night re: doing this thing at UCSD. I'm waiting to hear back from him, but if our little group and theirs could hook up for this, I think it'd be a good idea. We get a venue and maybe some new blood, and the club gets an event to host (which looks good on the books).
Mike Olson
Sadohara
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Sadohara »

Agreed. Let's see what Darkstar says. The other place isn't going anywhere or likely to be booked anytime soon.

It's the big community party room at the complex where I live, cczernia.
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Uh, any action in this area boys?

I'm itchy all over with excitement for this!

Please don't make me wait any longer...
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Oh yeah baby!!!

I'm all excited too....Look Cheney is too
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]Oh yeah baby!!!

[img]http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/ap/5b15caa3-8343-4815-a618-a9601660a626.hmedium.jpg[/img]

I'm all excited too....Look Cheney is too[/quote]

There is no way there's a naked woman reflected in his glasses, and I honestly can't understand how that rumor even got started.

I've sent Darkstar another email, although to be honest I'm not even sure someone's getting them on the other end....

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="devlin1"]There is no way there's a naked woman reflected in his glasses, and I honestly can't understand how that rumor even got started.

I've sent Darkstar another email, although to be honest I'm not even sure someone's getting them on the other end....[/quote]

That's not a woman...it's me at last years meet up

[img]http://forums.cardplayer.com/forums/images/avatars//152146232547aa6433a37cb.gif[/img]

JALU3
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by JALU3 »

What does that have to do with a meet up? Well anyways . . . I hope that my little group isn't destabilizing, but in three months or less it looks that way . . . so I would be down for a meet up.

And why not just meet up at a Starbucks and chill from there . . . unless you are actually looking for a function . . . and then Libraries are pretty cheap . . . I know that at the Kearny Mesa Library you can book the community room for the cheap, or near free . . . if you're a community group.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="JALU3"]What does that have to do with a meet up? Well anyways . . . I hope that my little group isn't destabilizing, but in three months or less it looks that way . . . so I would be down for a meet up.

And why not just meet up at a Starbucks and chill from there . . . unless you are actually looking for a function . . . and then Libraries are pretty cheap . . . I know that at the Kearny Mesa Library you can book the community room for the cheap, or near free . . . if you're a community group.[/quote]

Yeah, it's less a "meet-up" than a "all-day one-shots meet-up." It goes all day, and includes 4-6 one-shots, and a bunch of gamers being gamers, and etc. I don't know if Kearny Mesa Library's willing to put up with that, but hey, it's worth a shot if someone wants to check that out. I would, but I'm way up in OC, so... there.

(I [i]do [/i]know for sure that, outside of performance art, Starbucks wouldn't work as a venue for Hyphen-Con.)

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="JALU3"] I know that at the Kearny Mesa Library you can book the community room for the cheap, or near free . . . if you're a community group.[/quote]

Libraries are free if it is part of an officially Library event otherwise they are $50/hr. Also, we are looking at renting a room for 8-10 hrs and most libraries have things going on every couple hours.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

*BUMP*

We found a place folks!!!