Hyphen Con '08: Games Recap

Also known as 'The Hyph' or the more wordy 'rpg-sandiego all-day meet-up'. This is the place to discuss everything related to our yearly November mini-con.
cczernia

Hyphen Con '08: Games Recap

Post by cczernia »

This is a quick recap thread of all the games people submitted. Now that we have a location and a date is coming soon we need to figure out what games to play. Let me know if you want to change what you running, add or remove a game.

Devlin1

Qin: The Warring States: Absolutely no plot ideas right now, but people seem to like it, and it's a cool game system.

Spirit of the Spirit of the Century Fantasy Conversion: Ditto, except replace "people" with "I."

Star Wars: Paranoia Stay alert! Trust no one! Keep your blaster handy!

BlanchPrez

Tribe 8 - A small group of Fallen are framed for a crime they did not commit, and now the Watch is coming for them. Can they escape the watch and clear their name?

Mazes and Minotaurs - The Blue Rose of Aramathea - The beloved of a hero becomes mysteriously ill, and the only cure is the mythical Blue Rose of Aramathea, said to have formed from the tears of Aphrodite herself. It is a dangerous journey to the island of Aramathea, and once there, the hero and his allies must overcome the guardians of the Blue Rose!

En Memorandum, a 1st edition D&D adventure: The great wizard Xagyg had a long and famous career both as an adventurer and as a patron to adventurers. Your party was the last group he was patron too, and you all become very close with the old man. Some considered him a kind benefactor, other’s as a mentor, and others still as a father. Whatever the case, when news reached you of his recent death, it was a powerful blow. What’s more surprising, however, is that according to the messenger that delivered the news, Xagyg left you his wizard’s tower as your new headquarters. It’s several days journey from the city you are currently in, but there is a village near by his tower, so you won’t be leaving civilization entirely. On the downside, the dragon Zargon, the daughter of an ancient Wyrm Xagyg defeated years before, has taken up residence in the caves beneath the tower. In order to claim your inheritance, you’ll need to first defeat her.

Skyman

THE MASK OF NEIL MARLOW'S PET Call of Cthulhu: For Halloween, Neil Marlow bought a mask for his pug dog, Moochie, from a thrift bazaar held at St. Michael’s Church. Unknown to Neil, and anyone at the bazaar, was the unique nature of the mask

Call of Cthulhu adventure: The crew of the Memphis Comet get stopped while trying to cross the Himu Dath Concordat neutral space border by a lone interceptor class star ship. They're requesting to board and search the cargo. What could go wrong? Plenty when you add the Call of Cthulhu beasties with A FireFly-esque Universe.

Feng Shui adventure: Beggar, Thief, Cook, Spy, Gambler and Tinker. A Dumpling House on the border of the Zhang and Yu Tan territory comes under conflict when two outpost commanders claim the village for their respective warlords. Can the characters kick butt and finish lunch before sun down?

Neuro

Neuro's No-Break Special There is only one rule to this game and that is that you must /not/ break character. Your character is assigned according to the order of the number you draw and your only rule is that you must play your character and not break out of character.

Sadohara

In Nomine - "No Mercy in Arithmetic" The Great Equation, upon which hangs all creation, does not, it seems, compute. It has been corrupted to the point that everday universal mechanics are beginning to unexpectedly fail. Can a group of angels and Sir Isaac Newton repair the damage? Or can a group of demons stop them? A game for 3-4 players. No calculators.

The Shab-al-Hiri Roach While not a GM'd game, so much as a collaboratively told dark comedy of manners, lampooning academia which asks players the difficult question: are you willing to swallow a soul-eating telepathic insect bent on destroying human civilization? Even if it will get you tenure? A game for 3-6 players of indomitable will, vulpine cunning, and hot, steely ambition.

Uber_snotling

Welcome to S.L.A.V.E. (SOTC based supervillainry) SLAVE, one of the largest and most experienced SUPERVILLAIN organizations in the nation, is seeking ambitious and cooperative SUPERVILLAINS for its Podunkaville office. Requirements include: superpowers, ruthlessness, malevolence, and willingness to work within a team. Responsibilities will include: assisting more senior SUPERVILLAINS with diabolical plans; creating havoc and mayhem; overcoming local authorities and superheroes; and occasionally attempting to rule the world. This is an entry-level position which affords opportunity for advancement. Occasional travel is required.

jimmy corrigan

og: smelly. hairy. bang! so here’s what’s going on in the primal world: huge pesky reptile-things keep eating your fellow tribesmen. the rival tribe at the other end of the frozen canyon are starting to explore the hidden benefits of things. things like rocks, for example (carving ‘em, tying ‘em to other things, pointifying ‘em, etc.). you don’t like this at all. all of this causes your unbelievably thick brow to furrow. also, you note that the rival tribesmen are greater in number. probably owing no small part to their success in keeping the huge pesky reptile-things at bay with their new pointified rock-things. so now it’s up to the smartest, strongest, most capable cavemen of your tribe, and you, to keep the tribe together... and, y’know, alive. befriend the rival tribe to fight the gargantuan lizards? club the rival tribesmen over their thick heads and filch their newfound technology? try to invent your own? run like hell and relocate where there are considerably less reptile things? the choice is yours, moron.

faery’s tale: once upon a time... like clockwork it happens every blue moon at midnight. isobel, the faery queene of iced creme, throws another extravagant party! and you, along with the other citizens of the entire faery kingdom, whether pixie, brownie, sprite, or pooka, are cordially invited. hoo ray!

but oh no! here’s you without a thing to wear, not to mention an appropriate gift for the queene (isobel and her court is known to shower favors and boons on those faeries that bring nice gifts. everybody knows this). and on top of everything else, there’s a largely verified rumor that that mean bunch of wisps, boggarts, phoukas, and redcaps, collectively calling themselves “the ver-men,” are planning to crash the celebration. and another ‘nother thing, gelid, that unusually sensitive ice giant who yet again wasn’t invited to the party, might make things extra difficult for all you lovely fae folk come midnight, aka party-time. he’s just like that. he’s emo. (after all, without his ice, there would be no iced creme. so naturally he's justified feeling a wee bit hurt. c’mon, think about it.)

Cthulhu

Home Makeover(Call of Cthulhu / nWOD) When Abagail Marsh-Owens inherited a house in the quaint seaside village of Innsmouth, her dreams of a summer home were finally realized. Rather than foot the bill of the enormous restoration costs, her husband Oliver pulled some strings down at the station and got their new home on the hit Education Channel show Home Makeover. The cast and crew of the show have arrived in the sleepy fishing village and will spend the weekend getting the old cliff side home back to it's original Splendor.

The Battle of Lost Vegas(TMNT, After the Bomb) When Klaus and Elvis, the White Tiger rulers killed each other off in a bid for power, the citizens of Lost Vegas suddenly found themselves in the middle of a war to fill the void in power. The Yak-uza are making a play for control of the city, with more soldiers hoofing it in by the day. The Moles, bats and possum of the Underground are snapping up all the old territories, while the Tigers once loyal armies, The Doves and White Rabbits, fight amongst themselves. With no official police force, the local merchants have hired a mercenary force of wandering mutants to protect what little they have left.

cczernia

Dark Heresy: The Womb of TearsOn planet Scintilla exists an orphanage call "The Womb" where all the lost children go and on Scintilla there are a lot of lost children. The orphanage has over ten million children and fifteen million adults because once you are given to the orphanage you rarely leave. However, there is evidence that there is heresy in the orphanage and if the heresy is at the top levels the entire orphanage could be at stake. A group of Inquisitors have been sent to investigate. "The Womb of Tears" allows for 6 players, 3 investigators and 3 members of The Womb.

Werewolf the Forsaken: Keeping Your Friends Close The Uratha are half man and half beast sworn to protect the boundaries between the mortal and spirit worlds. Things are getting difficult for the Uratha as their territory is suddenly attacked by a number of spirits. Things only get worse as the Uratha discover that the ones they trust the most might be involved.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Can we get a name attached to these so that we can clearly see when we'd be asking one person to do two things at once?
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Ok, reformatted the main list. Hope that helps.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I edited my entry a little.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Awesome. Thanks tremendously.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

19 games to choose from, wow. This is going to rule!
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos