A Little Help

Miniatures, Boardgames, video games, etc.
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

A Little Help

Post by opwunder »

Many moons ago, I tried RPG online gaming and gave up in frustration. Either it took forever to get to a place that everything or everyone didn't kill you the minute you step out or it was all hack-n-slash with no story behind it. Or both...

One of the guys who I play with regularly (he drives down from San Bernardino about once a month for a p&p game) suggested that I go online and he would join me there so that we could play more often.

So, what would you guys (with all of your vast online experience) suggest as a good game for a newbie that offers some possibility of not being axed right away by some asshole, uses a turn based system (us old guys don't click as fast as we use to), and hopefully is in a third person perspective?
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Turn based will be the hard part behind that...

I would highly recomend Neverwinter Nights (or it's sequeal, though I haven't played that myself yet), or World of Warcraft, though neither of those does turn based. WoW, however, is pretty newbie friendly. and NWN is 3.0 D&D on the computer.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Dragonkin
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Dragonkin »

I must make a slight edit to BP's statement about WoW . . . the GAME is fairly newbie friendly. Some of the players however . . . . I recommend a Horde race, personally.

I have NWN. I never really got into it. I think I got bored with it, personally. That, and it never felt (to me) like a faithful portrayal of D&D.

Aside from those, and Diablo, I've not played any other MMO's.

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Dragonkin"]I must make a slight edit to BP's statement about WoW . . . the [i]GAME[/i] is fairly newbie friendly. Some of the players however . . . . I recommend a Horde race, personally.
[/quote]

That really depends on the server you go to. Try a low population server, the people there tend to be nicer. But, yeah, Horde tend to have less dicks, for some reason...

If you're looking for a recomendation for a server, I play on The Scryers, both horde and alliance. I'm sure I could get you into the horde guild I belong to, too.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Shoby187
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Shoby187 »

You can always try Second Life. There are a lot of roleplaying areas on it. Star Wars seems like a popular one.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

A bunch of guys at work started playing on the Blackhand server on World of Warcraft. We have a guild and such, and are looking for new members.

WoW isn't much of a click-fest as long as you know your way around a keyboard. Also, if you to a normal server (PVE) rather than a PVP server you don't have to worry about getting ganked all the time by some asshole.

You are welcome to join us. My main character is named Claudius and we are Horde.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Dragonkin

Post by Dragonkin »

Horde 4 life, yo!

The wife and I play on Uther. No guild. Main is Ilythiir (55 BE mage).

Word.

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

Thank you all! I knew I asked the right people!
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
Drew

Post by Drew »

posted in another post, but relavant here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080401/ap_ ... BoGXOs0NUE
In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.