Witchcraft: In the Dark

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
cczernia

Witchcraft: In the Dark

Post by cczernia »

I plan on running a Witchcraft oneshot some time in January. This will later be run a Strategicon.

Welcome to the world of CJ Carella's WitchCraft Roleplaying Game. It is a world very like our own but with a much darker side. The monsters and horrors that fill our legends and "fairy tales" walk the earth, hunting and using us for their own purposes. The spirits and vampyres, demons and angels, shapeshifters and things unimagined, all move through our world just as they have since time immemorial. And we have helped them remain hidden for we no longer believe in the unseen.

Long ago our ancestors prayed to their gods for safety and life. They used magic for rituals and charms to bring them luck and to protect them from the creatures of the night. Today technology and science have replaced magic and faith as the tools we use to protect ourselves from the dangers of the world. The horrors of the night still walk, but we no longer believe in them. They are free to do with us as they will.

But we are not powerless. The dark and evil are not the only unseen forces that remain in our world. The noble and divine exist here as well. There are those among us who have not forgotten that the horrors are real. Some still have the ability to draw upon the Essence of creation to fight back for the side of Order and Light.

In this game a small group of the Gifted that have not allied themselves to either side discover a child that could turn the tide in either direction. It is up to the players to find the child and then decide the fate of humanity.

For more check out the Witchcraft Corebook for free.

Let me know if you are interested in playing.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I am interested in playing.

(Don't know if I can make it, but I'm interested.)
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I'm interested.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

My curiousity is piqued.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I'd be down, depending on scheduling of course.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

okay. if it's on a day that i'm open, i'm in.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]I am interested in playing.

(Don't know if I can make it, but I'm interested.)[/quote]

We'll see if we can match it up with your other game.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]We'll see if we can match it up with your other game.[/quote]
I could do a Friday the night before a reguarly scheduled Saturday game, but by all means, don't schedule this thing around me. I'm the least available of all players. Schedule it for a time that works for everyone else, and if that works for me too, I'll be there. I don't want to impose any unnecessary difficulty.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Because, clearly, you're a terrible inconvenience and none of us would consider moving our schedules a little bit to see you, particularly after long absence.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Neuro"]Because, clearly, you're a terrible inconvenience and none of us would consider moving our schedules a little bit to see you, particularly after long absence.[/quote]
That is exactly it, yes.

Seriously though, you know what I mean.

Mike Olson
StormDreamer

Post by StormDreamer »

sounds cool. I'd be interested depnding on timing.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="StormDreamer"]sounds cool. I'd be interested depnding on timing.[/quote]
Welcome to the boards, StormDreamer! You should check out the One-Shots forum, where you'll be able to meet -- oh. Right.

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Welcome StormDreamer...What Devlin1 said and check out Gamers wanted if you haven't

Oh and I'm interested because it sounds like a movie I saw....which was cool
StormDreamer

Post by StormDreamer »

thanks Devlin1 and Skyman:biggrin:
be meetin' ya soon, no doubt
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

I just read through the WitchCraft book. It seems like a great setting, very WoD! How many players are you looking for, and have you come up with a date for the game? I'm totally down to play a one-shot, since it seems I don't have the time for a regular game anymore.
lu lu lu I've got some apples
lu lu lu You've got some too
lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce
Take off our clothes and lu lu lu
--Butters

<FNORD>
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Illuman23"]I just read through the WitchCraft book. It seems like a great setting, very WoD! How many players are you looking for, and have you come up with a date for the game? I'm totally down to play a one-shot, since it seems I don't have the time for a regular game anymore.[/quote]

I was planning on 6 players. We'll see who can make it when I decide on the date. It will be sometime in early to mid January.

Also, when I ran Armageddon (the sequel game to Witchcraft) I ran a follow up game that had different players.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Ok, here are the characters. I plan on running January 12 or 13th.

Cabal of Truth - This Cabal was formed by Gossimer and Jill Carthig after their wicca coven dissolved from infighting. Gossimer discovered that humanity could destroy itself before any monster gets to it and it is possible that the coming Reckoning is a good thing; a cleansing for humanity. However, that could be wrong too and the Reckoning might destroy humanity forever. Gossimer seeks the truth and his Cabal is dedicated to finding it.

Lord Gossimer - Gossimer is a Bast (intelligent shape-shifting cat). He has been around for 100s of years and originally a leader of a wicca coven that dissolved due to in fighting.

Jill Carthig - A powerful wicca she was a close friend of Gossimer's. They were always seen together (he was usually in cat form) and decided to form their own independent coven after the wicca fell.

Tye Barks - Originally a psychic for The Combine who would help hunt other supernatural creatures. He quit and now founds himself on their hit list. He doesn't agree with any of the other organizations and decided to sign up with Gossimer for protection and his mostly neutral view point.

Jose Gonzales - Once a member of The Sentinal. He was kicked out after murdering another member (he claims a priest was possessed but no evidence was ever found). His faith is strong and Gossimer has taken him.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Wicca?

Seriously?

Is that, like, in the game? That Wiccan covens are something besides New-Age social clubs?
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]Wicca?

Seriously?

Is that, like, in the game? That Wiccan covens are something besides New-Age social clubs?[/quote]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJ_Carella%27s_WitchCraft]Wikipedia entry[/url]

[url=http://www.edenstudios.net/witchcraft/WitchcraftCorebook.zip]The entire book[/url]

But to answer your question. Yes, the wicca is one of the major organizations in the setting. They are not a large group but a bunch of small groups that share similar philosophies.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]But to answer your question. Yes, the wicca is one of the major organizations in the setting. They are not a large group but a bunch of small groups that share similar philosophies.[/quote]
I used to date a girl who worked in a New Age bookstore, and I hung out in there a lot. As a consequence, I have a hard time taking Wicca all that seriously (I should also mention that the girl in question got all Wiccan at one point herself), although I ended up learning quite a bit about it. But whatever -- fuckin' game [i]on[/i].

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]I used to date a girl who worked in a New Age bookstore, and I hung out in there a lot. As a consequence, I have a hard time taking Wicca all that seriously (I should also mention that the girl in question got all Wiccan at one point herself), although I ended up learning quite a bit about it. But whatever -- fuckin' game [i]on[/i].[/quote]

I use to date a pagen, too. I don't have a problem with it. In Witchcraft you have to be "Gifted" in order to cast magic effectively and they are relatively rare (though in the setting more and more are showing up). I imagine a typical wicca coven may have 1 or 2 Gifted while the majority of the group is mundane.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

The Chosen

James Oligario - James is your average 19 year old kid in LA. He recently graduated from High School and a friend managed to get him a job at the docks. He doesn't have many friends but a lot of people have been asking him questions about his past recently.

Alexa - Alexa is James girlfriend, or friend or something. She is always hanging out with him. She is mysterious and acts strangely as though from another country but James can't figure out which.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Any of 'em are fine by me, I'd prefer to play a girl.

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="devlin1"]I used to date a girl who worked in a New Age bookstore, and I hung out in there a lot. As a consequence, I have a hard time taking Wicca all that seriously (I should also mention that the girl in question got all Wiccan at one point herself), although I ended up learning quite a bit about it. But whatever -- fuckin' game [i]on[/i].[/quote]

I try not to take dragons or zombies very seriously, either, although I'd probably agree that they smell less of patchouli or nag champa.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Ok, I plan on running 11, 12 or 13 of January. For those who were interested in playing what days can you not make it.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Ok, I plan on running 11, 12 or 13 of January. For those who were interested in playing what days can you not make it.[/quote]
Of those days, I can make the 11th. And now I'm even keener to play, since I want to run a Unisystem game at OrcCon (so I figure I'd better [i]play [/i]in more than one Unisystem game first).

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Far as I know, any of those would work for me.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I like James, and any of those days should work for me.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Oooff....I think I will be in LA during those times
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

New plan: I can't make it on the 11th.
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Ok, let's plan for this Friday. Can anyone host the game? I currently have:

Neuro
Wintermute
dnd3eplayer
Jimmy Corrigan
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Neuro can't do Friday. I'm down but can't host.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Well, that knocks me down to 3 players. I don't mind that but if it helps will people be able to make it next week (1/18). I can host.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

That day (1/18) would be ok for me.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I am more likely to make next Friday. I have a large deadline on the 22nd, so anything is shaky until after that, but I can probably do the 18th. We still won't be in a position to host, but if you can, that's even more likely I could sneak out for a while.

Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

You can count me in for the 18th as well! Looking forward to it!
--Butters

<FNORD>
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Well, that knocks me down to 3 players. I don't mind that but if it helps will people be able to make it next week (1/18). I can host.[/quote]
I... might be able to make the 18th.

Mike Olson
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm down if your not full yet, or your down a player when the date is settled.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
CaptS
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by CaptS »

Can anyone join?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="CaptS"]Can anyone join?[/quote]

Anyone can join the game (or run a game if you want, just start a new thread) as long as there are openings. I currently have 6 characters and 6 players with 2 alternates.

Watch this space. If someone says they can't make it then I'll contact the first alternate. If he can't make it I'll contact you. There is also a chance I'll run it again if it goes well and there is enough interest.

[b]Current players[/b]

Neuro

Wintermute

dnd3eplayer

Jimmy Corrigan

Illuman23

devlin1

[b]Alternates[/b]

Cthulhu

CaptS

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Kingly move me to the bottom of the alternate list, if you would, because I'm relatively certain I'll be in LA next weekend.

Also -- hey, welcome to the boards, CaptS!
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Ok, and revised:

Current players
Neuro
Wintermute
dnd3eplayer
Jimmy Corrigan
Illuman23
Cthulhu

Alternates
CaptS
devlin1
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
CaptS
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by CaptS »

Thanks Devlin!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Ok, game on tomorrow. Lets meet up around 7pm at my place. I'll provide snacks and drinks but I suggest eating dinner before the game. I'll PM everyone directions.

Also, Jimmy Corrigan stepped down so you can play CaptS.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

yeah, cheers. welcome to the boards, capts! have fun everyone. i'll catch the next one.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Wow the 18th

Damn.:cry:

Have fun CaptS....and welcome

U iz cool JC
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

I'm recovering from a nasty Flu, and won't be able to make it tonight. :frown: I'd be no fun, and probably infect Neuro with the virus that would finally do her in. I don't want to be responsible for that!

Sorry! Have fun!
--Butters

<FNORD>
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

you rang?

get well, illuman.
see you all there!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Thanks everyone for showing up and playing. I had a lot of fun and I hope my next door drama could be so entertaining.

Also, thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. If you guys have anymore advice or ideas feel free to post it here or pm me.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Get well Jeff

Sounds like you guys had fun:sad: