Spirit of the Fallout

The Unbreakable Union
cczernia

Spirit of the Fallout

Post by cczernia »

I was wondering when wanted to get together for this. If everyone is available I'm free next Friday... actually I can't think of any Fridays that I'm not free.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I think I'll be free this Friday. I'll know for sure Monday.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i'm good to go.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm not sure but I think I'm free too.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Cool. I'll try and post a re-cap of the last adventure later on tonight. If you guys wanna post a short character description too, that would probably help Winter and Neuro with their character concepts.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

The group so far consists of Kite, Cliff, and R-JAMES-358G. Kite is a young woman who has survived life in the wastelands as a trader and bandit. Cliff has no memories since waking up at the base of a cliff he believes he fell from. R-JAMES-358G, a household servant robot who has been wandering the wastes, looking for Rosie and her family, who he served before the war.

After R-James detected a radio signal, the group followed it's source into the desert. They made contact with Lamont, a citizen of Vault 16. He has been holed up in the control room of the vault for days. He desperately needs help, but is cryptic about the source of the problem.

Kite, Cliff, and James learn the truth soon after. A hive of huge psychic mole-rats has taken control of the vault. Those they have not killed have been led into the lower levels of the vault to an unknown fate.

With Lamont's directions, the group was able to rescue a small group of citizens hiding in the kitchens. They raced to the elevators, pursued by thousands of the rats, erupting from vents, doors, and crawling down the hallways like a living carpet. Kite and James killed a bear sized rat squatting just in from of the elevator doors. When the rats mental control halted the fleeing citizens, James carried them on towards the elevator, reaching the doors moments before the advancing horde.

As the elevator descended deeper into the vault, the group could hear and feel the rats dropping onto the elevator car.

Where we left off, the group was in the Control Level of Vault 16. They had reached Lamont with some of the survivors from the upper levels. The elevator they took down was dropped to the lower levels, denying the rats a platform to reach their level. But this will not stop them forever. Lamont has an idea to save them and the citizens were led by the rats into the lower levels.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Do you have guidelines for concepts you'd like to see?
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Nope, anything you'd like to play, I'm open too. Someone with a reason to explore/travel would work best though. Another thing to keep in mind is that SoTC characters are generally a lot more competent and heroic than the average beginning character in an RPG, so go nuts with your concepts if you want.

We are completely lacking in mutants however :wink:
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

What's the timeframe? Is tactics considered canon?
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Yeah, I can't believe we don't have a mutant yet! I mean, COME ON! It's a Post Apoc game!
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

[quote="Wintermute"]What's the timeframe? Is tactics considered canon?[/quote]

I've set it about 35-40 years after the Vaults closed. Only the ghouls and the very old remember life before the war. Some of the vaults have opened, but most are still sealed. There are a few well established villages and a few tribal groups have started to form. It's about 20 years before Fallout 1. It predates tactics, but if you wanted to be a scout for the Calculator or something, that would be cool too.

Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Has Vault 15 opened yet?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Wintermute"]Has Vault 15 opened yet?[/quote]

Yes, the Vault is open. The way Spirit of the Fallout character gen works is that you write a paragraph (more is optional) on your childhood, then on what you did after the Vault opened (Post Vault). Then you write the intro to a novel starring your character.

After that two other players write themselves into your novel. I'm assuming that both you and Neuro will write yourselves into each others novels. Then one of us will write ourselves into your novel.

[b]Example: Kite[/b]

[i]Childhood[/i]

Kite grew up in the refuse of the war traveling from town to town trying to survive. Eventually the romaing band settled. Eventually the settlement was attacked and Kite was enslaved. Kite and a group of other kids managed to escape but they had to leave their parents behind.

[i]Postvault[/i]

After the vaulters came out Kite and her fellow gangers found they could attack or easily trick the Vaulters because they had the best stuff. This became popular among the gang and they became regulars at looting, scavenging, and stealing.

[i]Novel: Kid Kite and the Race of the Rad-Roaches[/i]

Kite and her gang manage to wrangle some rad-roaches and race them. During the race Kite's roach sprinted off in the wrong direction where she discovered a secret enclave of pre-war technology.

[i]Guest Star 1: J.James358G and Kid Kite in Attack of the Flying Battle Bot[/i]

Kid Kite, seperated from her gang discovers a robot fighting a village of intelligent cats. She decides to fight the robot and while fighting discovers the robot is fighting another robot, a flying robot. Kid Kite and R.James358G work together to stop the flying robot from destroying the village.

[i]Guest Star 2: Cliff(?) and Kid Kite in "Watch that Last Step"[/i]
[quote]Not to be read by Jimmy Corrigan!!!!

[color="White"]Kid Kite lowered her binoculars having just seen a man pushed off a cliff. Later a man named Gabriel made a deal with Kite to never mention what she saw and in exchange Gabriel offered her ammo and food.[/color][/quote]

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

So I asked a fellow Fallout fan what Neuro and I should play, here's his response:

[quote]Just a tribal girl, livin in a lonely wastland world

She took the midnight caravan goin anywhere

Just a vault city boy, born and raised in a vault in detroit

He packed his SMG and took the midnight caravan goin anywhere

A singer in a smokey room

A smell of rotgut and cheap perfume

For a smile they can share the night

Maybe roll some 6 sided dice

It goes on and on and on and on

Strangers waiting, up and down the Hub

Their shadows searching for mutated blobs

Glowing ghouls, searching for their limbs

Hiding, somewhere in the night

Working hard to get my fill,

Side quests are my thrills

My perks are pretty fit,

Hoping with Finesse to get that crit

Some will win, some will lose

My party is made of dudes

Oh, the war...war never ends

It goes on and on and on and on [/quote]

Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="cczernia"]Yes, the Vault is open. [/quote]

What's the status of Shady Sands? According to the vault wiki it wasn't founded 'til 2142, so I wasn't sure how far before that Vault 15 opened.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

The year of the game is 2110, Vault 15 opened in 2097 according to the time line. Shady Sands was what was left of Vault 15 that didn't divide up into raiding gangs. Even if Shady Sands isn't there yet, it's founders are. They're either living in the vault still, or maybe picking a location to settle down in.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Awesome, thanks!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

cliff(?), amnesiac wanderer

pre-vault: ?
aspects: ?

vault opening: ?
aspects: ?

post-vault: cliff(?) in... watch that last step!
cliff wakes up in a canyon with a bump on his head, not remembering who he is or where he's from. since that day on, he's been traversing the desert armed only with a strange machine that intermittently gives him facts. he wanders on, trying to find out about where he's from, his origins... who he is.
aspects:
malfunctioning pipboy
"i might not remember my name, but i know who i am... i think"

guest star 1: cliff(?) in... kid kite and the race of the rad-roaches
at the bluffs, cliff encounters a group of strange kids riding large vermin. he follows one that strays into a junkheap. he tries to communicate with the girl to find out if she knows where he ought to be. her rad-roach mount eats cliff's shoes.
aspects:
rad-roach phobia
master charades player (excellent non-verbal communicator)

guest star 2: cliff(?) in... attack of the flying battlebot
in an attempt to be with other people, cliff finds himself amidst a tribe of worshippers of sentient cats. he falls madly in love with the "cat-people's" high priest's daughter. one day a large flying robot bent on destroying the tribe, comes along and kills ramona, "princess of the cat-people." the destroyers of the evil battlebot, kid kite and r-james-358-g, come to save the day. cliff, feeling indebted to the two, pledges his life to them.
aspects:
lost love: ramona, princess of the cat-people
"i'll do anything for kite and r-james"
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

are we meeting this friday?
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I'm down.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Neuro"]I'm down.[/quote]

Ditto

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]are we meeting this friday?[/quote]

Yes!

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

sweet! see you there!
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

John, I'm torn between a vault 15 doctor and a 2nd generation Brotherhood of Steel scientist, any preferences?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm down too.

BTW, Liz and Andy, I'll try to add my character write-up today or tomorrow. That way you can decide on guest star stuff.

Part of the fun of creating a Spirit of the Century character is interacting your storyline with the other PCs. In fact... if we're adding two other characters, maybe the three existing PCs should potentially redo our guest star roles based on Liz and Andy's characters? That way it's completely interactive? Thought anyone?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]
Part of the fun of creating a Spirit of the Century character is interacting your storyline with the other PCs. In fact... if we're adding two other characters, maybe the three existing PCs should potentially redo our guest star roles based on Liz and Andy's characters? That way it's completely interactive? Thought anyone?[/quote]

I don't mind doing that but we should try and finish it up quickly so we can start playing on Friday. Actually, I don't see any harm in writing third guest star if we wanted.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm down for Friday.

Andy, there may be some BOS antagonists later in the game, depending on how things play out. I'm not saying you shouldn't play one though. Just thought that might help with you decision one way or the other. Although Mord's character is already kind of a science guy.

If you guys want to go with a third guest star and add a couple more aspects thats cool with me. Aspects can be used either way, so it won't really mess up the power level, just more fate points flying around. Sounds cool to me.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I don't know what to play. Someone give me something to work with, here.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Here's the basic "factions" you'll find in Fallout.

Vault Dwellers: These folks are living time capsules of the Golden Age of mankind. Their culture and innocence was preserved by the vaults. They are only now emerging. Their knowledge and technology is the only things keeping the more experience wasteland dwellers from wiping them out.

Survivors: These are all the descendants of those who survived outside the vaults when the bombs fell. They most reflect a modern society, but the lack of basically everything has kept them to small communities. All of them have some genetic drift from the Vault dwellers. Some are mutated visibly to some degree. The Mad Max movies were mostly these types.

Raiders: Like survivors, but they roam the wasteland pillaging rather than settling down. Most of them have some kind of heraldry and identity that they're very proud of.

Tribals: These groups are people gone primitive, either by circumstance of willful rejection of the "old ways". They are low tech, but probably the best acclimated to the wastelands.

Super-Mutants: These were made mutants. Government created 9' masses of muscle and scar tissue. Most are stupid and violent, but many have retained their human intelligence. They cannot reproduce other than by throwing humans into Vats of the same gunk that created them.

Ghouls: These are the results of massively radiated humans. If someone made zombie candles and left them in the sun, thats what ghouls would look like. Radiation is harmless to them, but some of them will glow when there is enough nearby. They are all survivors of the war and by now very old, but their condition has stopped the aging process.

Brotherhood of Steel: This is a group of people descended from the American military. They have a society based around acquiring and protecting knowledge. They are callous, militant and xenophobic, but not really evil.

Hope that helps some. Andy, did I miss anything?
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Looks a good writeup, John, I'm helping liz get a little more familiar with the themes of Fallout.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Better late than never...

R. James/358-G, Household Serving Robot model 358, G Series

Pre-vault:
My first awareness came shortly after coming off the assembly line. At least I assume so. There were factory workers all around me, speaking Spanish, and I was hanging from conveyor belt chains. I was purchased by a wealthy family in the Arizona dome cities of Phoenix-Tuscon-Tempe. I served loyally and was well-loved by Rose, the 13 yr old daughter of the family.
Aspects - Retractable Arms, Faulty Loyalt Chip

The War!
The the war happened. Hugh and Judy fled to the vaults, taking Rose with them. I wandered the abandoned dome cities until the bombs started falling, then my self-preservation chip kicked in and I fled to the desert. My random wanderings led me to the West Coast.
Aspects - Immune to the harsh landscape, "Have you seen Rose?"

Novel - R. James/358-G in... The Attack of the flying Battlebot
R. James comes upon a small village of humans and intelligent cats who are terrorized by a giant flying war robot. Will 358-G have the wherewithal to stop the rampage and save the village?
Aspects - Empathizes with Robots, Revered yet Feared by Humans

Guest star 1: R. James/358-G co-starring in... Watch That Last Step!
R. James meets up with a strange man who calls himself Cliff, and they wander through the desert together. R. James helps Cliff get the most of his Pipboy before they're separated after an incident involving a malfunctioning auto-gyro-crawler.
Aspects - "Repairing Things is Part of My Protocol", Robots are Actually Quite Strong

Guest star 2: R. James/358-G co-starring in... Kid Kite & The Race of the Rad Roaches
While pondering his fate after finding a cache of old machines, 358-G is interrupted by a girl & a giant roach. The girl seems fascinated by the trove of mostly useless gadgets. Kite (the girl) reminds him, in a way, of Rose, so he teaches her about the items.
Aspects - No Stranger to Strange Technology, Bug in Programming: Weakness for Small Girls
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Aegis Scorkozy Bean

Pre-vault: N/A

Vault: Good Morning, Mother: Freakish Origins. Born in the demo vault with four arms, Aegis Scorkozy emerged into the scarred world to grow up amidst the founding of the Boneyard. Her parents were a doctor and a surgeon and when a raiding party "recruited" them, Aegis was still very young. She doesn't remember any other way of life. Even as a child, she made grownups uneasy with her direct stare, eerie observations and manipulative habits.

Aspects: Four-armed, freakishly observant, "It's really in your best interests."

Post Vault: The Outlaw Doc Aegis: The Boneyard. The Scorkozys didn't last two weeks before the raiders got them. Determined to secure safety for their child, Aegis was trained from the earliest possible moment to follow in her parents' footsteps. Both parents twisted in the search for survival and were often excessive in their cruelty to stay alive and climb as far as possible to ensure whatever comfort might be available to their child. Aegis was six when she began the raiders' nomadic lifestyle. Training and character would form a mostly silent, tremendously precise and effective doctor with absolutely no conscience beyond self-interest. Useful, but inherently unlike the others, Aegis would find the life of a raider limiting, by way of poor leadership and some misunderstandings. Obsessed with knowledge for knowledge's sake, she would take up the life of a wandering researcher, the new world's Charles Darwin.

Aspects: Exceptional Doctor, Cruelly Self-Interested, Breathtakingly Precise, Obsessed Idiot Daredevil For New Knowledge

Stunts: Theory and Practice, Hit Them Where It Hurts, Doctor, Scholar, Do You Know Who I Am?

+5 Skills: Science
+4 Skills: Alertness, Resolve
+3 Skills: Rapport, Deceit, Academics
+4 Skills: Survival, Intimidation, Empathy, Investigation
+1 Skills: Weapons, Fists, Drive, Resources, Endurance

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

that kicked ass! thanks for running cthulhu, and for the weather-appropriate bangers and mash, wintermute. looking forward to next time!
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Phase 1: Childhood
Dodger was born amidst the growning tensions of vault 15. Raised by his father, he was often kept behind hidden doors to escape violence, and spent much of his time reading what little material remained. As a teenager, his lack of friends made him an outcast, and so he spent his time exploring the deepest, darkest hidden recesses of the vault and areas around it.

Phase 2: Vaults Open
When the vault overflowed, Dodger joined up with one of the raiding parties, leading them to areas which potentially held leftover supplies and technology from the pre-war times. Unpopular as always, he would often be volunteered as the first to enter any suspicious or dangerous areas. When the raiders attacked fellow vault dwellers, he could no longer abide their violence and fled during the night.

Novel:
Turned away by the Vault dwellers as a raider, spurned by the raiders for not being ruthless enough, Dodger poured over old books, recordings, and stories searching for artifacts from the pre-war times. He would travel with caravans, using his knowledge of raiders to help them avoid attack and regaling them with tales of the old times. When the last caravan Dodger was with was overtaken by a strange group of mutants, he hid and made his way towards a vault only indicated on a scrap of a vault-tec pamphlet.

Guest Star 1:
As a raider, Dodger was bitten by a strange spider and seemed on the verge of death. The group sought out a doctor from another band of Vault 15 raiders, and a four-armed woman cured him with an experimental antidote. Once he recovered, they discussed the pre-vault origins of the cure, as well as what medicine was like before the war.

Guest Star 2:
While exploring the bombed out ruins of a super wal-mart in the remains of Barstow, Dodger encountered a most unusual household serving robot. After conversing with the robot for nearly two days on pre-war technology and the circumstances of the war, he remember what the robot had originally asked and gave directions to a village the robot sought.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i am jonesing for some more vault action! when's a good week for folks?
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I'm down!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Me too! This weeks no good, but I've got the next two open.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

which is unavailable for folks, the 11th or the 18th? i'm good with either, although cczernia's witchcraft one-shot might land on the 11th.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]which is unavailable for folks, the 11th or the 18th? i'm good with either, although cczernia's witchcraft one-shot might land on the 11th.[/quote]

Yep, that is the only thing I got going otherwise I'm open to Fallout madness.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

okay, so since some of us here, including our gm, are playing in cczernia's witchcraft game on the 18th, shall we say that the next spirit of the fallout be rescheduled for friday the 25th?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

25th works for me.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

That should work for me.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I lied. :( Ozomatli's Saturday show sold out, so I bought tickets for the 25th.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

ozomatli=teh rad! have fun. turns out mordraine's going to be out of town until next thursday anyway.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

gaming? what say you?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Turns out I'm working late this Friday. I didn't hear about it until I was walking out the door today. Good news is I quit, so next Friday's definitely clear.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

whoa. mixed blessings, eh? where you looking to work after this friday?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

There's an IT opening for the postal service here I'm applying for, other than that, nothing specific yet. I've got enough savings to last a few months. Nothing to worry about.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

in that case, mazel tov! i'm glad to hear you won't be having 12 hour work days in the near future.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Wow, congrats on quitting a crappy job, I hope something better comes along!