Character Creation

A 1st ed AD&D Greyhawk Campaign run by dnd3eplayer
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Hmmm...I was wondering if people were using the ceiling or Floor XP for 9th fighter. I used the ceiling at 500,000 because that made sense for JC guy. Thanx for setting that straight
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]Hmmm...I was wondering if people were using the ceiling or Floor XP for 9th fighter. I used the ceiling at 500,000 because that made sense for JC guy. Thanx for setting that straight[/quote]
I took "enough for a 9th level fighter" to be "[i]just [/i]enough for a 9th level fighter" -- that is, 250,001. Sam was already threatening to cut that back, so I don't think he meant double that amount.

Sam? Clarification?

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Yeah that was my interpretation initially but then I just looked at what others did

I'll change it when I get home and whip out the PHB...lower lvl fits my guys background better anyways
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="Skyman"]Hmmm...I was wondering if people were using the ceiling or Floor XP for 9th fighter. I used the ceiling at 500,000 because that made sense for JC guy. Thanx for setting that straight[/quote]
i corrected my dude last night under the sage advisement of mordraine.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]11th level druid

wis 12

cha 15
[/quote]

I know I'm now being that guy who, like, sticks his nose into everyone's character, but I think you may want to rearrange those stats. A 12 Wisdom won't get you any bonus spells, but a 15 Wisdom will -- I think two 1st.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]I took "enough for a 9th level fighter" to be "[i]just [/i]enough for a 9th level fighter" -- that is, 250,001. Sam was already threatening to cut that back, so I don't think he meant double that amount.

Sam? Clarification?[/quote]

You are correct. 'Enough for a 9th level fighter' means 250,001.

[quote="devlin1"]I know I'm now being that guy who, like, sticks his nose into everyone's character, but I think you may want to rearrange those stats. A 12 Wisdom won't get you any bonus spells, but a 15 Wisdom will -- I think two 1st.[/quote]

Plus, you can be a huge dick to everyone if your character has lower charisma.

[quote="devlin1"]I totally hope so. I want a hardcore 1e game. Give me weapon speed and "to hit" modifiers vs. armor types. I don't want this shit to make any sense at all. Seriously! Nostalgia is the order of the day for me.[/quote]

Mike's totally on the right page here.

[quote]
I assume siblings counts for your purposes. Right?[/quote]

correct.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]You are correct.

Mike's totally on the right page here.

correct.[/quote]

Three for three! USA! USA! USA!

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Oh, also Albert I got your message but at like 3 last night/this morning. I assumed you would not be making characters still at that point.

Equipment/Money notes:

Here's how I'm figuring things, feel free to chime in if you guys have ideas.

* you can pretty much buy any 'mundane' equipment you like - no limits, but keep encumbrance & such in mind. Don't even track spending there.

* Everyone is going to get a 'signature' magical item or two. I'm still undecided on the value of said items, perhaps if you guys tell me what you think is reasonable I can deny it mercilessly, I mean decide appropriately.

* This being 1e style, we are also going to be rolling on the charts for extra stuff you guys have picked up here and there. Maybe once on an appropriate treasure table and once or twice on the 'I'm coming in with a higher level character' table. Haven't decided yet.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I was going to create a cleric/ranger half-elf dude, but the level restrictions for half-elf suck in that regard. So I'm going with a straight ranger, human. If I remember correctly, I can be 9th level ranger. Yay me.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="mordraine"]I was going to create a cleric/ranger half-elf dude, but the level restrictions for half-elf suck in that regard. So I'm going with a straight ranger, human. If I remember correctly, I can be 9th level ranger. Yay me.[/quote]

pure ranger is actually pretty sweet. Also, take that Mike, and your 'we're all going to have multiple classes' theory.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]pure ranger is actually pretty sweet. Also, take that Mike, and your 'we're all going to have multiple classes' theory.[/quote]
Three for four! Canada! Canada! Canada!

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]I know I'm now being that guy who, like, sticks his nose into everyone's character, but I think you may want to rearrange those stats. A 12 Wisdom won't get you any bonus spells, but a 15 Wisdom will -- I think two 1st.[/quote]
i dunno. i don't have the book in front of me, but i think i was required to take 15 in charisma as a class requirement. or something. please let me know if i'm wrong.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]* Everyone is going to get a 'signature' magical item or two. I'm still undecided on the value of said items, perhaps if you guys tell me what you think is reasonable I can deny it mercilessly, I mean decide appropriately.[/quote]
This is just going to be a pick-it-and-ask sort of thing? Like if I want an intelligent Sword of Life Stealing, I just stat that up and ask you if I can have it, and then you say no?

[quote]* This being 1e style, we are also going to be rolling on the charts for extra stuff you guys have picked up here and there. Maybe once on an appropriate treasure table and once or twice on the 'I'm coming in with a higher level character' table. Haven't decided yet.[/quote]
Ooh! Will those rolls be done with the Monster & Treasure Assortment book? Because I have that. Actually, I should have a PDF of it, too.

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]i dunno. i don't have the book in front of me, but i think i was required to take 15 in charisma a class requirement. or something. please let me know if i'm wrong.[/quote]
Oh... right. Suck.

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]This is just going to be a pick-it-and-ask sort of thing? Like if I want an intelligent Sword of Life Stealing, I just stat that up and ask you if I can have it, and then you say no?[/quote]

Yeah, something like that. Think of it like a fun game where you get to try and push the limit on what you think I'll accept, but any outrageous requests will lower my acceptance standard by 20% or so for everyone.:evil:

[quote]
Ooh! Will those rolls be done with the Monster & Treasure Assortment book? Because I have that. Actually, I should have a PDF of it, too.[/quote]

I dunno, that's an OD&D supplement...

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]I dunno, that's an OD&D supplement...[/quote]
No... is it? I'm positive mine's for AD&D. White book, blue picture of a giant snake or something on the cover? At least, I [i]thought[/i] it was for AD&D....

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]No... is it? I'm positive mine's for AD&D. White book, blue picture of a giant snake or something on the cover? At least, I [i]thought[/i] it was for AD&D....[/quote]

Blue with a snake is the combined one (1-3 for levels 1-9 all in one), and that's the one I was thinking of - pretty sure its OD&D

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Blue with a snake is the combined one (1-3 for levels 1-9 all in one), and that's the one I was thinking of - pretty sure its OD&D[/quote]
Huh. So it is. Out it goes. *toss into garbage*

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]i corrected my dude last night under the sage advisement of mordraine.[/quote]

Thats great...you get soft velvety sage Mord and I get...well you know...soft velvety guy Dev.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]Huh. So it is. Out it goes. *toss into garbage*[/quote]

That better be figuratively speaking!

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]That better be figuratively speaking![/quote]
Of course! I don't even [i]have[/i] it here at work!

Speaking of which, OSRIC is great for workplace PHB lookups.

Mike Olson
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Here's some help if anyones still thinking of making a barbarian. It's written for 3.0, but I think most of the advise still translates back to AD&D.

Steve's Guide to Making a Really Sweet D&D Character
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Question from Mike - I thought it pertinent to the discussion here:

[quote]
As I understand it, we get to pick one or two magic items, which may or may not be shot down, and then you're going to make a few random rolls to see what other stuff we end up with -- right? If that's the case, my fear is that I'll have one or two useful items that I pick, and a few Quaal's Feather Tokens (which I like, but, I mean, c'mon). So is the idea to de-emphasize gear? To give our characters the feel of having picked up a few useful trinkets here and there -- to simulate having adventured for the equivalent of nine fighter levels instead of making a "complete" mid-level character from whole cloth? Because I'm down with that, but if that's the case I need to change the way I'm thinking about this.[/quote]

That's more or less what I was thinking. The idea is to have one or two items that fit your character well [stuff he did favors for or 'won' by his actions in an important battle or whatnot] and then some more random stuff that he got along his travels - that'll be more random as you don't always get what you want that way, but they'll be useful to someone (if not you) and I plan to allow trading amongst yourselves b4 game starts.

It should be like you had a character that adventured for his levels (in a non-Monty_Haul campaign) and came out with some quite useful gear and some helpful stuff also. Not to really de-emphasize gear, but how can I put a bunch of cool swag in the dungeons if you already have it?

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]how can I put a bunch of cool swag in the dungeons if you already have it?[/quote]
I honestly hadn't even thought of that -- I'm so used to selling off 95% of what our characters find in my weekly D&D game that the concept of actually finding [i]useful [/i]items that we'd want to [i]keep [/i]didn't even occur to me.

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I dislike the buying/selling of magical items myself. Never seemed quite right. In 1e, its pretty much not the way things are done anyway though.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]I dislike the buying/selling of magical items myself. Never seemed quite right. In 1e, its pretty much not the way things are done anyway though.[/quote]
I agree that it's pretty ludicrous, but it's so much a part of our 3.5 game that on those rare occasions when our characters have been cut off from their extra-dimensional arms dealer we hardly know what to do with ourselves.

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Yeah, that's one thing about 4e that I'm definitely looking forward to - less emphasis on equipment. That'll solve a whole slew of issues.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

correction made
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I have a suggestion for magic items, that we do the following:

a) First, we pick 2 magic items that we would like our character to have (pending DM approval).

b) Next, our esteemed DM assigns 1 magic item that he deems appropriate for our character (might I suggest assigning items using Grehawk Adventures).

c) Finally, the DM rolls randomly on the treasure tables at DM's discretion.

This takes a lot of guess work out of the process. What think you, Sam?
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="mordraine"]I have a suggestion for magic items, that we do the following:

a) First, we pick 2 magic items that we would like our character to have (pending DM approval).

b) Next, our esteemed DM assigns 1 magic item that he deems appropriate for our character (might I suggest assigning items using Grehawk Adventures).

c) Finally, the DM rolls randomly on the treasure tables at DM's discretion.

This takes a lot of guess work out of the process. What think you, Sam?[/quote]

Um.. that's pretty much the plan that I have already put forth, with the exception that B) will be taken care of in-dungeon..

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Um.. that's pretty much the plan that I have already put forth, with the exception that B) will be taken care of in-dungeon..[/quote]
Well, B) was the only new part, really. Andy and I were working on our characters last night, and the idea came up that you, Sam, could contribute by assigning us each a magic item that you thought was cool/appropriate.

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Hey, what about spells? Andy and I rolled for our spells the old-fashioned way last night. In the PHB, it says you're supposed to pick the X number of spells you're allowed for each level, then roll your Chance to Know Spell for each one, and if you -- well, basically, you're supposed to roll for every spell in advance, and if you don't make it, you can never learn that spell. Ever.

Fair enough. I mean, crazy, but no crazier than a druid needing a higher Charisma than Wisdom.

So I have my minimum spells for each level. Can I also have my maximum?
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]So I have my minimum spells for each level. Can I also have my maximum?[/quote]

According to the PHB, as long as you haven't run out of spells in the list to check, you can keep rolling up to your max.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]According to the PHB, as long as you haven't run out of spells in the list to check, you can keep rolling up to your max.[/quote]
I'm still confused by how many spells I actually [i]possess[/i], as opposed to how many I can potentially [i]learn[/i]. Why is there even a minimum? Why isn't it just "Roll on the table until you succeed nine times"?

I didn't really play magic-users back in the day, and besides, I doubt we would've kept such a restrictive rule.

BTW, that isn't me bitching -- it's me explaining why I'm not as familiar with this particular aspect of the game.

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I may render my above question moot by playing a barbarian instead.

It seems to me we only have one front-line fighter, in the form of Mord's ranger. My f/m-u/t-a is a ranged fighter (6 bow attacks a round for 8-18 each ftw!), leaving just one person to protect the spellcasters. And those spellcasters (one of whom is also a thief) kinda make my spellcaster slightly redundant. So maybe I'll use a different set of stats for Kvard-Ulf Twice-Born, berserker of the Snow Barbarians.

Anyone have any input on that, beyond "Hey man, play what you want to play"?
Mike Olson
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I demand that you play this barbarian! Is that what you're looking for?

That aside, if you're excited about playing your original character, go for it. I'm kinda on the fence between my illusionist, a barbarian, and an incredibly clumsy paladin.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

updated!

sumac, harbinger of the wild
11th level druid
true neutral half-elf
hit points: 56

str 12
int 11
wis 13
dex 10
con 11
cha 15

background:
son of flinstaf (male human druid) and garlandryl (female elf ranger). flinstaf was crushed by a large rock in a pitched battle against driders deep in the demonweb pits. sumac worships obad-hai (the shalm), honors animals, wears a magical bearskin cloak, and brandishes a khopesh. he hails from the vesve forest.

special items:
brown bearskin cloak (transforms into a brown bear three 10 minute or one 2 hour durations a day), satchel of owl feathers (identical game information as gem of insight), +2 khopesh
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I've decided that Kvard-Ulf Wartooth can read, but only the Cold Tongue, the written language for which I liken to Norse runes. Nobody speaks the Cold Tongue, really, except barbarians of the region, so it still renders him mostly illiterate, but it does allow me enough plausibility to keep a journal for each session.
Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

there are 40 words for "berzerker rage" in cold tongue.