San Diego Fires OCT2007

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
JALU3
One-Armed Skeleton

San Diego Fires OCT2007

Post by JALU3 »

I've been tracking this since yesterday. It appears to be getting worse in the North County, and the South County is burning relatively unopposed.

Tune to AM 600 KOGO, or KUSI 9 for further information.

If anyone needs assistance, let me know what I can do. I don't have much, but maybe there is something someone out there can do.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'd also like to just make sure that everyone here is okay.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

South County now, too? Sheesh. I'd heard about the two fires merging in North County, but....

I know I'm not in San Diego, but up here in Orange County we're kinda caught between the LA fires, the San Diego fire, and our own little "boutique" fire that sprung up a few miles from our apartment yesterday. Came back from a weekend in Vegas to find that almost every horizontal surface in our place was covered in a fine layer of ash. Still, it's nothing compared to, say, losing one's house.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

If somebody needs a place to go at this point, feel free to give me a call. We have an extra bedroom for people to stay in.

Cell Number: 619-379-4606
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I'm here and working. Hope everyone else is OK. 8 headed fire makes this a nasty one. Be careful guys and gals
JALU3
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by JALU3 »

Well the City has called out for Volunteers . . . and thankfully they have enough to last them until WEN, so I am told by their Point of Contact. I am trying to contact my supervisor now to get time off for that.

Hopefully it wont last until WEN, but the way this is looking, and with their weather forecast . . . it looks like we maybe in it for a while.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Couple of the folks I work with had to evacuate. It's brutal.

This week I'm up in Irvine and the company I'm consulting for closed down this morning due to "air quality" in the building. The smoke from the east Irvine fire (alluded to in devlin1's post) was coming directly over where the company's buildings are. Smoke and ash everywere. But that's nothing compared to the smoke that lay over Del Mar and Solana Beach as I was driving through this morning. It was dark as night.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]This week I'm up in Irvine and the company I'm consulting for closed down this morning due to "air quality" in the building. The smoke from the east Irvine fire (alluded to in devlin1's post) was coming directly over where the company's buildings are. Smoke and ash everywere. [/quote]
And that one's getting closer to our place, apparently. Crossed the 241 this morning and headed west. It's probably within three miles. We're dropping a bundle on air purifiers today just so we can breathe in our own home (assuming we get to stay there long enough to use them).

[quote]But that's nothing compared to the smoke that lay over Del Mar and Solana Beach as I was driving through this morning. It was dark as night.[/quote]
Same for me driving to work this morning. The sun was an angry red eye.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mordraine"]Couple of the folks I work with had to evacuate. It's brutal.
[/quote]

Same here. We're working with a skeleton crew.

Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Neuro and I are safely evacuated with our cats to Oceanside, it sounds like the fire is dangerous close to our house. :( Our hearts and prayers go out to all of you, stay safe!
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Wintermute"]Neuro and I are safely evacuated with our cats to Oceanside, it sounds like the fire is dangerous close to our house. :( Our hearts and prayers go out to all of you, stay safe![/quote]

good to hear your safe

Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

I'm with you all, at least in spirit. I remember the last spate of fires we had, and how nervewracking it was. This batch sounds worse. I may be in VA now, but I've still got family and friends out there.

I hope you all pull through.

Gary
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Skyman"]good to hear your safe[/quote]

Exactly.

Chris

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Latest reports say that the Harris fire is moving westward towards Otay Lakes and eastern Chula Vista. Gulp.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="mordraine"]Latest reports say that the Harris fire is moving westward towards Otay Lakes and eastern Chula Vista. Gulp.[/quote]

An offer for a place to stay still stands if you need it.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Latest reports say that the Harris fire is moving westward towards Otay Lakes and eastern Chula Vista. Gulp.[/quote]
You should move.

Seriously, though, it looks like it has a ways to go before it reaches Terra Nova.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Count Zero"]An offer for a place to stay still stands if you need it.[/quote]

Thanks. We should be okay, but much appreciated.

[quote="devlin1"]Seriously, though, it looks like it has a ways to go before it reaches Terra Nova.[/quote]

Figured as much, but those fires are pretty much unchecked at the moment.

Where are you seeing this, BTW?

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Where are you seeing this, BTW?[/quote]
The LA Times has [url=http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&msid=117631292961056724014.00043d0e9ca465cefeeed&ll=35.960223,-117.443848&spn=4.827737,8.876953&z=7]a Google map of all the fires in SoCal[/url]that they update every now and then (e.g., every couple of hours).

Mike Olson
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote="Wintermute"]Neuro and I are safely evacuated with our cats to Oceanside, it sounds like the fire is dangerous close to our house. :( Our hearts and prayers go out to all of you, stay safe![/quote]

Jesus fucking Christ, that's good to hear. I just heard Olivenhain was evacuated on my local NPR station, and I was thinking of y'all. I'd call, but my phone killed itself along with y'alls number, and my internets are unreliable. Fucking shit man, good to hear you're alive.

Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="smartmonkey"]Fucking shit man, good to hear you're alive.[/quote]
Ditto! Is this what it takes to hear from you? Firestorm '07?

Mike Olson
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote="devlin1"]Ditto! Is this what it takes to hear from you? Firestorm '07?[/quote]

That, and working internets.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="smartmonkey"]That, and working internets.[/quote]

The internet is a series of tubes.

smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote="mordraine"]The internet is a series of tubes.[/quote]

they are serioz bidness.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

nice to know you got our smoke signals
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mordraine"]

Where are you seeing this, BTW?[/quote]

Here is another source

[url]http://www.signonsandiego.com/[/url]

the google map says the one heading your way is 5% contained

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

If this manages to jump the 56 it is going to star working its way down towards me.

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i pray that everyone's safe tonight. keep us posted, all.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]i pray that everyone's safe tonight. keep us posted, all.[/quote]

News indicated that Harris fire is getting really close to Chula...Otay

Hope Mord is doing Ok

JALU3
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by JALU3 »

Here is the most recent updated map

Reports have it going to the top of Mount San Miguel, and on the Southside of the Sweetwater Resevior.
They have asked the area East of Bonita Road heading north to Sweetwater road to evacuate. And there is voluntary evacuation for the area East of the CA-125, North of East H Street (which becomes Proctor Valley Road), and South of Mount Miguel.

I am experiencing intermitten power disruption right now, and I am Just West of Heritage Road in Chula Vista.
Good luck and Godspeed All.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

This is the MOST FUCKED UP!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

At the moment, my house is still spared from evacuation. They extended the Chula Vista voluntary evacuation this morning, but it does not include where we live. It's just south of us. We're keeping an eye on it. I'm not super worried.

Meanwhile, the company I'm consulting for in Irvine is closed again today because of air quality concerns, although they're apparently going to reopen around noon time or so.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]At the moment, my house is still spared from evacuation. They extended the Chula Vista voluntary evacuation this morning, but it does not include where we live. It's just south of us. We're keeping an eye on it. I'm not super worried.[/quote]
That's a relief. Good to hear.

[quote]Meanwhile, the company I'm consulting for in Irvine is closed again today because of air quality concerns, although they're apparently going to reopen around noon time or so.[/quote]
Yeah? Wanna hang out? Actually, the air quality's fine in stupid Mission Viejo, so I have to work.

Mike Olson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Here's another google Map made by KPBS that's a little more detailed than the LA Times one.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 867676&z=9

Chris
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Here's another google Map made by KPBS that's a little more detailed than the LA Times one.[/quote]

Just a little more detailed? :biggrin:

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Count Zero"]Just a little more detailed? :biggrin:[/quote]

Yeah, you know, just a tad.

Chris

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

We were evacuated. Now we're home. How's it hangin'?
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
JALU3
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by JALU3 »

OK . . . well the most recent official map was released at [url=http://www.sdcountyemergency.com/newsreleases/102320077_1800hrsA_Evac_FirePerem.pdf]1800[/url].

We have family in the San Miguel ranch subdivision who refused to depart. Which frustrated us greatly, but thankfully the winds were cooperative, and they were able to get air assets in on the line, and were able to stop it.

My cousin in the Southbay is still under voluntary evacuation . . . so we'll reasses how his situation is tommorow, as he has spent most of the day [url=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Rancho+Del+Rey+Middle+School&sll=32.635472,-117.002335&sspn=0.026057,0.039911&ie=UTF8&ll=32.6314,-117.0061&spn=0.013029,0.019956&z=16&om=1]here[/url].

As was with last night. We will always have one person awake just in case the winds take a freak turn and come down to us. There are canyons here that are great fire food . . . so we are still apprehensious . . . but a lot more surefooted.

Also there is a boilwater order. Here is the news release from [url=http://www.sdcountyemergency.com/]Sdcountyemergency.com[/url]

[quote]10-23-07 8:54 p.m. Boil water order issued. Although Ramona is under mandatory evacuation orders, those residents remaining in the city are being advised to boil tap water or use bottled water for drinking and cooking until further notice. Tap water pressure should be restored around 1 a.m.[/quote]

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Neuro"]We were evacuated. Now we're home. How's it hangin'?[/quote]

Good to hear!

Down our way we were lucky enough to be outside the evac zones.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

JALU3, what part of the county are you in?

edit: ah, nevermind, I reread the thread and I see you're down my way in CV.
JALU3
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by JALU3 »

Where in Chulajuana are you? Not effected I hope. I have family Mt. Miguel Road who refused to leave as the area became mandatory evacuation, and I was watching as the fire came down that area. Thankfully they were able to stop the fire before it got to some houses . . . but what if the winds picked up . . . or the air assets weren't able to beat it back.
It furiates me that they refused to listen, but it worries me that they just stood there in the path of danger . . . and with a very old grandmother to boot. And that's what lead to so many fatalities last time. The thinking that it can't get to me, that I am no where close to danger. How many things could have gone wrong so that they would have had to face the fire head to head . . . but thankfully that didn't happen.
But do you understand my frustration.

Well I am going to be the one doing the waking watch for now.
We have to have at least one.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Neuro"]We were evacuated. Now we're home. How's it hangin'?[/quote]

Whew, glad to hear this. Any ash on your roof?

Chris

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

very cool
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Just dropping in to say I have been pretty worried about you guys, and I'm glad everyone is doing ok. This is some pretty scary shit.

Hey MR, did you remember to close ALL of the windows this time? :P
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Heya Tom!!!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i'm thankful to hear you guys are okay.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="JALU3"]Where in Chulajuana are you? Not effected I hope.[/quote]

We're off East H St. Not really in any danger zones. The fire stayed around 6 or 7 miles away from us.

Good luck to your family!

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

great to hear folks are groovy and to see everyone on the boards
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Whew, glad to hear this. Any ash on your roof?

Chris[/quote]

Ash absolutely everywhere. They got the fire put out about a mile east of us.

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]
Hey MR, did you remember to close ALL of the windows this time? :P[/quote]

Actually, we didn't close any windows, it was way too hot. But, we're far enough away from all the first that there's no ash to speak of here. Dark clouds, and smoke, but no ash.

Chris

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

There's plenty of ash up here in Irvine. Also down in Chula Vista, according to my wife.