The Dark Eye - New group starting

Seeking players or a GM?
Cross_

The Dark Eye - New group starting

Post by Cross_ »

Hello,

After a break of 10 years I would like to get back into role playing as either DM or player of "The Dark Eye". As this system is not well known in the USA here's a quick overview.

The Dark Eye is the English language version of "Das Schwarze Auge" which is the most widely played RPG in Germany. The original game has been around since 1984 with 150 first party adventure modules published and 4 rule revisions so far.
What makes TDE stand out from other RPGs is its focus on story telling / puzzle solving with dungeon crawling and looting taking a back seat. When using the basic rules, combat is quickly resolved and does not rely on hex grids. The game world slogan is "fantastic realism". This is referring to the fact that while there are of course fantastic creatures and magical artefacts these are added to a thoroughly described medieval/renaissance backdrop, e.g. most peasants will see a small number of magicians in their lifetime but are still in awe (or fear) when they do.
More info can be found here: http://www.thedarkeyerpg.com/aventuria.htm

Sounds interesting ? Questions ? Want to give it a try? Let me know..

- Marco
Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Drew »

Isn't this the system for the Realms of Arkana CRPGs?
In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Welcome to the Board Cross_

I hope you round up folks into this interesting game. If this does not happen then I would suggest trying to do a demo/one shot of the unique system. Best of luck!

skyman
Cross_

Post by Cross_ »

[quote="Drew"]Isn't this the system for the Realms of Arkana CRPGs?[/quote]

Oh- I did not expect anyone to remember those old games :) But you are quite correct, the 3 Realms of Arkania games are based on TDE. In fact the plan was to use Realms Of Arkania as English translation for the books but there were copyright issues which is why they used the literal translation instead.

I didn't like the old ones, but I am looking forward to the new Drakensang PC game coming out Q1 2008..

[url]http://www.drakensang.info/[/url]

Thanks skyman !