Completely off-topic.
Skyman
Proud Regent

300 scene

Post by Skyman »

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I had the chance to see this tonight, and didn't, because I'm some kind of idiot. Ah well. I'll hear about it tomorrow, I'm sure.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

While I really like the film style of the movie... I really don't think I will see it. Beautiful film work, but the story looks... painful.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I think it has a very over-produced feel to it. Also, something struck me as I watched that trailer - the Spartans had that ingenious plan of pushing the wall of bodies on to the advancing army. Netted them one guy. Wha? Talk about your botched surprise rolls.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]I think it has a very over-produced feel to it. Also, something struck me as I watched that trailer - the Spartans had that [i]ingenious[/i] plan of pushing the wall of bodies on to the advancing army. Netted them one guy. Wha? Talk about your botched surprise rolls.[/quote]
Hardly! Pushing that mountain of dead over is about more than crushing one guy in a surprise attack. Think of the pyschological impact of something like that!

Let me put it in terms which everyone can understand and appreciate. The Spartans essentially put the Aspect "You Fuckers Are Doomed" on the Persian army with an Intimidation attempt that immediately exceeded all of their Composure Stress boxes (I'll bet their leader has a decent Intimidation and Leadership, not to mention some Sparta- and army-related Aspects he invoked for good measure). Now, I haven't seen the movie yet, but I imagine "You Fuckers Are Doomed" gets invoked more than once.

I really like SotC.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="devlin1"]Now, I haven't seen the movie yet, but I imagine "You Fuckers Are Doomed" gets invoked more than once.[/quote]

That aspect really could be used in multiple ways in that story.

It think the thing that strikes me about the movie is it feels like they are trying to hard to be edgy and cool.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Count Zero"]That aspect really could be used in multiple ways in that story.

It think the thing that strikes me about the movie is it feels like they are trying to hard to be edgy and cool.[/quote]

Are you saying the film has the "Trying Too Hard to Be Edgy and Cool" Aspect?

Me, I'm very much looking forward to seeing it, because I'm a Frank Miller fan and I appreciate how much it looks like the book. If there's any overproducing going on, it's in service of being faithful to its source material. In rare instances, style-over-substance movies can work for me (cf. "The Matrix"), and I think this is one of those instances.

Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mordraine"] Also, something struck me as I watched that trailer - the Spartans had that [i]ingenious[/i] plan of pushing the wall of bodies on to the advancing army. Netted them one guy. Wha? Talk about your botched surprise rolls.[/quote]

Yeah that was stupid...but looked cool, which kinda goes back to style over substance. I really liked the chained neaderthal, I was expecting Sean Bean jump out and say 'they've got a cave troll.'...hey ya like that name dropping with reference...wink wink, nudge, nudge, it's like I'm in the know or something when I'm actually just clueless

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I think it may suck, but I really want to look at it, anyway. At worst, I bet it'll be a fucking awesome feature length music video.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

So the other army was the Persians, eh? Well slap me around with a pink dildo. They looked *nothing* like this:

I'm rather of the opinion that Frank Miller is overrated and thinks an awful lot of himself. I wasn't too impressed with Sin City either.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Sin City = blech.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]I'm rather of the opinion that Frank Miller is overrated and thinks an awful lot of himself. I wasn't too impressed with Sin City either.[/quote]
Dude... seriously... fuck you. Use that pink dildo.

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

All right, seriously though--I'm not a frothing-at-the-mouth Frank Miller fanboy. I haven't liked everything I've seen from him. "The Dark Knight Strikes Back" was a really, really big disappointment (not that it could've been anything else, IMO). He may think a lot of himself, but I've also heard that Alex Ross is a dick, and that doesn't stop me from really admiring his work.
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Man you guys are born again heart breakers...I love pink Dildo's, no...errr...Frank Miller stuff
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Meh. I'm still planning on seeing it on IMAX.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]All right, seriously though--I'm not a frothing-at-the-mouth Frank Miller fanboy. I haven't liked everything I've seen from him. "The Dark Knight Strikes Back" was a really, really big disappointment (not that it could've been anything else, IMO). He may think a lot of himself, but I've also heard that Alex Ross is a dick, and that doesn't stop me from really admiring his work.[/quote]

Well to be fair to Miller, the fact that he has a big ego doesn't factor into it for me. I just think he's a little overrated.

Also, I didn't know who Alex Ross was 'til I just searched for him after you mentioned him.

Mordraine = Not knowledgeable about comics for the last 15 years. My favorites are all from the '80s - Dave Stevens, Steve Rude, Los Bros Hernandez, Scott McCloud, Dave Sim (who was also an asshole so I've heard)...

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="smartmonkey"]Meh. I'm still planning on seeing it on IMAX.[/quote]

Okay.. that might be worth it....

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Count Zero"]Okay.. that might be worth it....[/quote]

Style pwns substance once again

smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

So I _finally_ saw 300 last night. The only way I can briefly sum it up is: 300 10th level fighters vs 500,000 level 1 warriors and like 500 level 5 fighters. And a 'god'.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I still haven't seen this. I am amazed.
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I saw it this week. I was pleasantly surprised. There were still some places here and there where it felt over produced, but I forgave those spots.

Mike if I had known you didn't see it yet, and if I didn't think you were recuperating from your trip, I would've invited you to go. I saw it at Irvine Spectrum Tuesday night.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Mike if I had known you didn't see it yet, and if I didn't think you were recuperating from your trip, I would've invited you to go. I saw it at Irvine Spectrum Tuesday night.[/quote]
You dick! I was even back in town by then. Ah well.

(BTW, you were right about trying on those trunks.)

Mike Olson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Dragonkin
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Dragonkin »

:lolup:

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!