Review of Jovian Chronicles: One shot experience

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).

Since we just did the Jovian Chronicles one shot I figure we give it a dice rating for fun and poste

A 1D12....Excellent system that I'm going to use some of the rules in my other games.
No votes
A 1D12....Excellent system that I'm going to use some of the rules in my other games.
No votes
20%
40%
40%

Total votes: 5

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Looks like Skyman started a tradition so I decided to post another poll for Jovian Chronicles. What did you think of the setting and system.

For those of you that got to play in both one shots how did the system compare? Also, feel free to comment on my GMing as I am always looking for feedback (good or bad). If you don't want to post it here feel free to PM me.

Oh, just so CZ knows, I think I goofed when Akira escaped as he did say he was guarding the prisoner. Thanks for not argueing with me and slowing down the game.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

This was a tough vote for me, as I had to seperate the system from the setting. I really liked this system. It was solid, quick to learn and flexable enough to handle everything that came up during the adventure. Not sure I like the damage being incorporated into the to-hit roll, but that's just a personal preference thing.

On the other hand, I wasn't too keen on the setting. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked the background, and the hard sci-fi aspect of things. But the anime influence just killed it for me, really. If they had dumped the giant robots, and just went for a more "realistic" hard sci-fi, it would have been a much better setting, in my opinion. In the end, though, I don't think it's a game I'd ever buy, because of that.

I will, however, keep DP9's other RPG's in mind as the system rocks. :)

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Very cool, logical, easy to learn system. I liked that combat was part of the overall skill system. It was the most simplified RPG rule set I've played that still handled things in a realistic way. I also liked the Jovian Chronicals setting. I don't get much opportunity to play sci-fi, realistic or not. I had a great time. :D
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]On the other hand, I wasn't too keen on the setting. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked the background, and the hard sci-fi aspect of things. But the anime influence just killed it for me, really. If they had dumped the giant robots, and just went for a more "realistic" hard sci-fi, it would have been a much better setting, in my opinion. In the end, though, I don't think it's a game I'd ever buy, because of that.

I will, however, keep DP9's other RPG's in mind as the system rocks. :)
[/quote]

I'm glad you liked the system. As to the setting, the exo was rather out of place for this adventure. While Chris's story was really good, the exo seemed like it was just there because the exo armors are part of the setting. I would recommend removing the exo armor from the adventure Chris. Maybe give him and exo-suit instead.

Once you get better over view of the setting, you get a better feel for the mecha and then the setting doesn't seem right without them. Also keep in mind the big inspiration was Gundam. If you watch some Gundam (excluding Gundam Wing) you get a better appreciation for them in the setting.

Jonathan

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]On the other hand, I wasn't too keen on the setting. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked the background, and the hard sci-fi aspect of things. But the anime influence just killed it for me, really. If they had dumped the giant robots, and just went for a more "realistic" hard sci-fi, it would have been a much better setting, in my opinion. In the end, though, I don't think it's a game I'd ever buy, because of that.[/quote]

This is actually a common complaint against JC. The first time I played the game we removed the exos because we thought they were stupid and statted out a couple more fighter (there are two regular space fighters in the core book). It took awhile for the exos to grow on me.

Also, the only reason I included an exo was because the character had pilot exo 3 and agility 3. Had to let him shine. :D

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup