Tunnels & Trolls

An assortment of game systems and genres. One night only.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Tunnels & Trolls

Post by devlin1 »

There's something about playing T&T at Gen Con that makes me want to run one-shots of it, apparently. We all had a good time with last year's post-con T&T one-shot, and now I've got a hankerin' to do another.

Who'd be up for that? It'll be just as fun as last year's game -- and rat-free, to boot!
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I said something about dinner didn't I? You run T&T and I'll cook dinner?
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Neuro"]I said something about dinner didn't I? You run T&T and I'll cook dinner?[/quote]
Deal! But not the other way around -- that would be disastrous, gastronomically speaking.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

*raises hand*
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I'm in.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

what it is! white crocodile bes be gone home to his momma. else, pyotr whup his ass. ya dig?

also: bring mushrooms.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Cool. I usually see these thread way too late. I'm in.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]what it is! white crocodile bes be gone home to his momma. else, pyotr whup his ass. ya dig?

also: bring mushrooms.[/quote]

Oh, stewardess! I speak jive.

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I'm down.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

sounds like fun
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

When shall we play?

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Neuro"]When shall we play?[/quote]
Good question. For the sake of convenience, I'd like to try to find a weekend where I can combine this with our M&M game so I only end up making one trip. That'd make it on the weekend of either the 1st or the 15th, although those Fridays may conflict with this Star Trek game I've been hearing so much about.

However, in a couple weeks I'll be on winter break and my schedule will be rather open, so maybe a midweek thing would be possible. Or T&T one weekend and M&M another. Whatever. The point is... multiple factors.

Mike Olson
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="devlin1"]Good question. For the sake of convenience, I'd like to try to find a weekend where I can combine this with our M&M game so I only end up making one trip. That'd make it on the weekend of either the 1st or the 15th, although those Fridays may conflict with this Star Trek game I've been hearing so much about.

However, in a couple weeks I'll be on winter break and my schedule will be rather open, so maybe a midweek thing would be possible. Or T&T one weekend and M&M another. Whatever. The point is... multiple factors.[/quote]

Winter break might work best for me, since I'll be out of finals and I'm going to be hard pressed to pass my current math class, but I think I'm done before the 15th, like the 9th or something. Oh God. I just realized that. Pardon me. I'm going to go be sick over finals.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Okay, so -- I think the best day for me would be the Friday the 15th, because the weekend before I'm (apparently) going to Big Bear and the weekend after I'm (apparently) going to Santa Fe for Christmas.

So far, those who have expressed interest in some T&T goodness are:
Neuro
Winter
Mord
JC
Skyman
Cthulhu
Sam (Sam, your nickname doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well as these others)

Anyone else?
Mike Olson
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I would be willing to give Tunnels and Trolls a shot.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Count Zero"]I would be willing to give Tunnels and Trolls a shot.[/quote]
That's exactly the kind of crazed enthusiasm I'm looking for here. Excellent.

Also, my non-board friend Nat is interested. This is looking like a pretty big group.

Updated list, just for my benefit:

Neuro

Winter

Mord

JC

Skyman

Cthulhu

Sam

Count Zero

"Nat"

I'd better get to making some characters, then....

Mike Olson
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I need to throw this back out there for scheduling? Are we doing this the 15th? Did we accidentally forget this in doing CI scheduling?

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

The 15th's still good for me, although on Saturday Albert and Blandy were talking about the Star Trek game being "out of sync" or something (probably related to the last round of tachyon particles emitted from the deflection dish) with regards to this date. However, neither did they say there was a conflict, so... I dunno.
Mike Olson
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

The 15th will work for me too.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Yes Albert and I were discussing how the T&T game clashed with the next date of the Star Trek game, but we didn't come up with a suitable solution.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Yes Albert and I were discussing how the T&T game clashed with the next date of the Star Trek game, but we didn't come up with a suitable solution.[/quote]
Well, if doing the T&T one-shot instead of playing Star Trek: The Nerd Generation* isn't acceptable, how about moving one or the other to the 16th? I could conceivably do the 16th, although it'd be my preference not to, so as to avoid two back-to-back nights committed to gaming (for Jill's sake).

*[size=75]Yeah, you heard me.[/size]

Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Let's go old-school: T&T starting after Star Trek and into the wee hours :mrgreen:
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]Well, if doing the T&T one-shot instead of playing Star Trek: The Nerd Generation* isn't acceptable, how about moving one or the other to the 16th? I could conceivably do the 16th, although it'd be my preference not to, so as to avoid two back-to-back nights committed to gaming (for Jill's sake).[/quote]

I wouldn't be opposed to moving Star Trek to Saturday, but that would have to be a group consensus.

(Sam, we already play 'til the wee hours as it is!)

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Ok, but your wee and my wee may not agree :mrgreen: I don't consider a 3am start time to be unreasonable, for example (but I also don't expect others to feel the same way).

In any case, I'm good for either day, if need be.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Yeah, let's not go further with your wee wee issues
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]Ok, but your wee and my wee may not agree :mrgreen: I don't consider a 3am start time to be unreasonable, for example (but I also don't expect others to feel the same way).[/quote]
I don't consider 3 a.m. an unreasonable start time for, say, Magic or Goldeneye, but something that requires thought and some degree of creativity for hours on end? Not a chance.

Mike Olson
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="devlin1"]I don't consider 3 a.m. an unreasonable start time for, say, Magic or Goldeneye, but something that requires thought and some degree of creativity for hours on end? Not a chance.[/quote]

Goldeneye? When was the last time you stayed up late to play video games?

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Count Zero"]Goldeneye? When was the last time you stayed up late to play video games?[/quote]
It's been too long, my friend. Too long. It's probably been a month or more since my last bleary-eyed game of Perfect Dark Zero on the 360.

Magic and/or Goldeneye were the traditional post-game activities for my gaming group in Vancouver. They gave us something to do before breakfast instead of sleeping.

Mike Olson
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="devlin1"]It's been too long, my friend. Too long. It's probably been a month or more since my last bleary-eyed game of Perfect Dark Zero on the 360.[/quote]

LOL

[quote]Magic and/or Goldeneye were the traditional post-game activities for my gaming group in Vancouver. They gave us something to do before breakfast instead of sleeping.[/quote]

I just remember playing the hell out of that game (Goldeneye) in the dorms in college on the N64.

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I believe, someone speak up if I spoke too soon, that we're fine for T&T Friday and the CI gathering will wait for the following day. So, 15th December T&T. I need a final headcount or else we'll be ordering pizza.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Neuro"]I believe, someone speak up if I spoke too soon, that we're fine for T&T Friday and the CI gathering will wait for the following day. So, 15th December T&T. I need a final headcount or else we'll be ordering pizza.[/quote]

I'm in.

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I'm good with the 15th. Consider me confirmed.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm good.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm good too.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

me also.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I will have to bow out...I'm going to Texas in the morning on Saturday
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]I will have to bow out...I'm going to Texas in the morning on Saturday[/quote]
Texas is always getting in the way. Well, sorry to hear that.

I should have characters posted online tomorrow or Saturday. If I post them today, it means I'm procrastinating instead of doing work.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]Texas is always getting in the way.[/quote]

Can't we just file it down some?

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

The flight leaves in the Morning from LAX...:mad:
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Well, the rest of you may as well book your Saturday-morning flights to Texas now, because, barring a miracle, I don't think I'm going to be able to get down there this Friday to run this thing, unfortunately.

If circumstances changes in the next few days, I'll let you know. Otherwise... yeah. Or no, rather. Very sorry about this.
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="devlin1"]Well, the rest of you may as well book your Saturday-morning flights to Texas now, because, barring a miracle, I don't think I'm going to be able to get down there this Friday to run this thing, unfortunately.

If circumstances changes in the next few days, I'll let you know. Otherwise... yeah. Or no, rather. Very sorry about this.[/quote]

Well that means I can possibly make the next time...Yay all is not lost.

Hope everything is ok

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Bummer man. I was looking forward to that T&T. Also the rpg-sandiego.org premiere of The Call of Cthulhu silent movie!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

A little update for those holding out hope of this thing still happening on Friday (that'd be me): I've tried talking a few people up here into getting in on the one-shot and thereby providing me with a ride, but it's not looking great. So yeah. No change there. I'll keep trying, but if I don't have a way of getting there by, say, Wednesday, I'll definitely call this thing off. Is that all right with everyone involved?
Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

fine by me.

what would need to happen for you to come down? i'd be willing to help pay for a train ticket to sd and drive you back up sometime in the weekend.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]fine by me.

what would need to happen for you to come down? i'd be willing to help pay for a train ticket to sd and drive you back up sometime in the weekend.[/quote]

You're a very nice Korean boy, Albert. Thanks for the offer, but I don't want to overcomplicate things. The full story is this: Friday morning, when I was going to my car to drive to school for my 8:00 a.m. bio final, I saw that I had a flat tire. Nice! So I changed that and was 20 minutes late to my final, but the more long-term problem is that I don't have the "financial means" to get a new tire this week, which has massively screwed up the weekend (not to mention my freeway speed--nothing's worse than having to drive 50 miles an hour in the slow lane).

This T&T one-shot, though, is child's play next to [i]another [/i]event happening in San Diego this weekend that, sadly, I'll also have to miss.

Mike Olson
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Where are you located and what sort of tire do you need?
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]fine by me.

what would need to happen for you to come down? i'd be willing to help pay for a train ticket to sd and drive you back up sometime in the weekend.[/quote]

I can help out with the ticket as well...on second thought we should probably float you the money for the tire

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="Skyman"]I can help out with the ticket as well...on second thought we should probably float you the money for the tire[/quote]i thought of that too. let us know, mike.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

No no no -- again, you're all very nice Korean boys, but there's no way I'm borrowing money from you.

As for what kind of tire it is, it's... um... black and round. What do I know from tires? I'll go look, I guess. And I'm in the "South Coast Metro Area," which is this one-block-thick strip of residences on the border of Costa Mesa and Santa Ana where people who are ashamed to say they live in Santa Ana live.
Mike Olson
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Tires typically have a size, like 195/50/15. They also have a make (BF Goodrich), a model (Comp. T/A) and a speed rating (V), but the size is the important part. :)