Backup Game?

The Fraternal University of Bright All-round Roleplayers
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Backup Game?

Post by BlanchPrez »

So, last Tuesday, we briefly discussed having a "regular" back-up game, for when people are missing or if the GM leaves his game books in the car that his wife just drove away.

Now, I try to write my Stargate games so that they are episodic, and don't require everyone to be there, but that's not always easy, and its difficult to write adventures for just two players.

However, this seemed to be something everyone could agree on, the idea of a back up game. So, I'm bringing it up here, to see if this is something people really want.

If it is, below is a list of games I own that I would be willing to run games in. They are in no particular order. Others can list games they would be willing to run, and if enough people are interested, we can pick one from those lists.

* Hackmaster
* Tribe 8 (1st edition)
* Torg
* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness (either normal or After the Bomb) (Note that this uses a version of the Paladium rules, but I believe there is a D20 Modern conversion for this out there)
* Relecs and Rituals: Excalibur (D20 Arthurian style stories)
* Relecs and Rituals: Olympus (D20 Olympic myth style stories)
* Ghostwalk (D20)
* Farscape/Dragonstar/Star Wars (These are all D20, and listed in order of my preference)
* Ars Magica (5th edition, I think... the free one)
* Testament (Blibical D20)
* Monsterous D&D (standard D20 D&D, but you play monster races)
* Star Trek (the newest edition)
* Vampire (Or even straight WoD)
* Diana: Warrior Princess
* Munchkin (D20)

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I'd be willing to run one of the following:

*Dragonstar (I still have all of your books, Chris)
*Mutants & Masterminds
*Spycraft
*Pulp Adventure game (Writing EGO rules now, but could use Adventure! from WW)
*Orctopia

I'm kinda open, though after talking about it with Cthulhu on the way home the other night, I'm kinda leaning towards Dragonstar.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Infernus
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Infernus »

I'm not too interested in running anything, primarily because I know chris acually prefers to gm but also because anything I would be interested in running would be a custom campaign and it seems like we want something out of the book.

Im fine with re-trying M&M or Dragonstar, there has also been discussion of a spy style game and a Modern game might be interesting.
Its never too early to be a bastard!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Infernus"]I'm not too interested in running anything, primarily because I know chris acually prefers to gm but also because anything I would be interested in running would be a custom campaign and it seems like we want something out of the book.
[/quote]

I like my D&D games to be in a custum world as well, but for a back-up game, easier the better. :)

Chris

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I don't think we NEED anything from a book...
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I've been in the mood for M&M lately, probably due to COH withdrawal. Dragonstar also sounds cool.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

This is just a suggestion but if we're going to have a backup game when not enough folks show then I would suggest that EVERYONE may wish to be responsible for having a back up game. Such as if Tom and Chris cannot make it, but Infernus, Cthulhu and Foxbat can, then one of them should have a game good to go...instead of saying screw it. Because we all pretty much miss sessions for life events that get in the way...except for Cthulhu who is the most consistent and has no life. J/K

For example:
Gotetsu=Dragon Star
Cthulhu=Gurps
Blanch= Diana Princess Warrior?
Infernus= D&D home brew world
Foxbat=Spycraft or something cool with weapons and people dying.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Good idea Skyman. :D

Chris
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

And I think we're all experienced enough players where we can handle multiple characters, so having a set cast to divy up among the attendees would be fine.

So, yeah, I'll do Dragonstar. And I'll probably just use the same game I had before.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

An even better idea. As it's just a back-up game, having pre-made characters that are used by whoever happens to be there is a fantastic idea.

Now the question is what does everyone want me to run? My top ideas, in order of preference, are:

Tribe 8
Hackmaster
Diana: Warrior Princess

Chris
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Go with Tribe 8.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="Gotetsu"]So, yeah, I'll do Dragonstar. And I'll probably just use the same game I had before.[/quote]
Although you should all be prepared to be roped into an EGO session. I have the rules done for Pulp EGO, and am putting together an idea for a setting... :twisted:

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Tribes 8 for you Blanch...that's my vote

Gotetsu...Dragon Star because you got that already ready and you seemed hot go with it

As for me if it drastically comes to it...I have a selection of wonderful crap:

Call of Cthulhu...not that it surprises anyone:smash:
Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages...because I like sandpaper for my TP
Call of Cthulhu in Japan...I'm turning Japanese, I think so*Song by the Vapors*. Everyone wants to be Japanese like Gotetsu and me.

Resident Evil D20...it's 2006 and the troops in Iraq are being pulled out by political pressures from home and the UN, after voting becomes legit for the Iraqi people. Your covert ops team is given secret orders from Cheney to stay because the search for weapons of Mass destruction is NOT over...CIA intel uncovered a possible labratory base north of Tikrit but also suggest that insurgent terrorist cells have just become aware. It is a race against time...

Oriental Adventures...the ninja D20 D&D adventure. It's not just a bath house, but a Japanese bath house with Geisha. What they do after business hours is nobodies business.

Basic D20 Dungeons and Dragons adventure: Welcome to Nicophears Magic Emporium, we are located south of the Oberon kingdom and east of the city of Balkie. Dead in the center of the central market of the magic Kingdom of the 5 Jade Towers. We take gold pieces from any kingdom, plus visa and master credit. We also offer low financing percentage loans and a 15% discount to military... just remember to payoff our loans within a one month grace period or we will fuck you up! So come on down to Nicophears Magic Emporium and get you magic needs met. Undead and mainly evil folks are welcome as well. Remember if you got the business then you've got Nicophear's Magic Emporium undivided attention...this has been a paid service announcement.

So tell me what you would want me to have on the back burner for the remote of remote chance for me to run for ya.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I vote Tribe 8 for BlanchPrez & Dragonstar for Gotetsu. I also wouldn't mind trying my new Game of Thrones d20 some time. I can also do any variety of gurps if anyone wants.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Cthulhu"]I vote Tribe 8 for BlanchPrez & Dragonstar for Gotetsu. I also wouldn't mind trying my new Game of Thrones d20 some time. I can also do any variety of gurps if anyone wants.[/quote]
I think it's safe to say you have the Gurps market cornered...BTW what is Game of Thrones d20

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="Skyman"]I think it's safe to say you have the Gurps market cornered...BTW what is Game of Thrones d20[/quote]
It's a d20 game based on the books by Gerorge RR Martin, wherein he details the sexual and eating habits of the nobility in a fantasy setting. :biggrin:

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Gotetsu"]It's a d20 game based on the books by Gerorge RR Martin, wherein he details the sexual and eating habits of the nobility in a fantasy setting. :biggrin:[/quote]
Sounds like it's really inter*...Oh who am I kidding, I vote GURP's

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I figured I would just dredge up an old thread instead of creating a new one.

Ok, after last night's tragic car-trouble (my heart goes out to you, Chris), the rest of us figured it would be a good idea to have a back-up plan or three. Especially in light of Chris' pending secondary employment. So, to that end, I propose that each of us pick one game that we can run, and we always have an adventure ready to go with it. That way, on nights when necessary, we can play SOMETHING.

For me, I can get together SpyCraft, DragonStar (though that would probably call for a restart with new characters) and D&D (either traditional or Orcs/Monsters). I could also probably throw together something for M&M.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I can do:
  • Game of Thrones(a low magic setting and modified d20 system)
  • World of Darkness
  • GURPS (anything really, Fantasy, Post Apocalypse, Sci-fi...)
  • I also have a Rifts-like homebrew I've been messing with using GURPS.
If Tom would rather run it, I vote for Spycraft.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="Cthulhu"]GURPS.[/LIST]If Tom would rather run it, I vote for Spycraft.[/quote]

The idea is to have EVERYONE have a game they can run ready. That way, no matter who doesn't show up, we have something to play.

I'll do SpyCraft, since I have a feeling that's what the majority are going to vote for from me. :)

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I vote Spycraft!

If we go with John then Gurps...his choice

All I have to offer is:
Call of Cthulhu (Gee what a surprise)
D&D...Working in Nicophears Magic Shop
Oriental Adv...with ninjas*
Resident Evil (d20)*

Also Feng Shui*

*=I would need time to prep
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="Skyman"]Call of Cthulhu (Gee what a surprise)

Also Feng Shui*[/quote]

My votes for Skyman. :biggrin:

I'd like to do GURPS Post Apoc/RIFTS if John runs.