work?

Completely off-topic.
Daraniya
One-Armed Skeleton

work?

Post by Daraniya »

I ask a lot of questions... but this seems like a cool place to hang out. And I want to get to know everyone...

So...

Where does everybody work?

ME: I work for EDS on the NMCI project. I am a solutions test engineer at the facility on Hancock just behind the Sports Arena. I live in a cubicle farm... I enjoy it. Lots of downtime... I don't like NMCI, but they pay well, so I can't complain much.

Bryan
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

I work at a cable company convincing people to keep their cable, HSI and phone with my company rather than going with DirecTV, Dish Network or AT&T.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I type on a computer all day. And people pay me for it. Crazy.

(I'm a partner in a manufacturing software consulting company. Mostly I program stuff for our customers.)
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm a Configuration Manager for web developers. When people aren't doing things properly, and I ask them to stop. They ignore me, and then I threaten to tell them to stop again. Eventually I do it myself or let them fail, and either option gets me into trouble. It's like the UN. Sorry, just venting my crappy day.
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Sven
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Sven »

I work for a mapping company. We make the maps that go into most in-dash navigation systems, as well as for some of the more popular mapping sites on-line.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I'm a paralegal in a construction defect firm. I deal with assholes all day and write letters.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

I work in wholesale autoparts.

It's just as exciting as it sounds.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Shin Kenshiro
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by Shin Kenshiro »

When in CA I was working at SPAWAR which was within spitting distance of Game Town. Now I'm a university student at UCF. Sad that I'll be 30 when I graduate with my BA.
To know me is to fear me, to fear me is to be human
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I number two television journalist in Kazakhstan. My other job is ice maker and gyspy catcher. Call Kazakshstan-2417 for guaranteed removal.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Shin Kenshiro
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by Shin Kenshiro »

[quote="devlin1"]I number two television journalist in Kazakhstan. My other job is ice maker and gyspy catcher. Call Kazakshstan-2417 for guaranteed removal.[/quote]

HIGH FIVE!

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Shin Kenshiro"]Sad that I'll be 30 when I graduate with my BA.[/quote]
BTW, those of us who will be 34 when we graduate with our BAs have no sympathy for your "plight."

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Shin Kenshiro
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by Shin Kenshiro »

[quote="devlin1"]BTW, those of us who will be 34 when we graduate with our BAs have no sympathy for your "plight."[/quote]

That's just because by that time your Alzheimer's will have kicked in to the point you no longer remember your name.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Shin Kenshiro"]That's just because by that time your Alzheimer's will have kicked in to the point you no longer remember your name.[/quote]
Actually, I'm hoping I forget yours.

Mike Olson
Shin Kenshiro
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by Shin Kenshiro »

[quote="devlin1"]Actually, I'm hoping I forget yours.[/quote]

Aw sunshine, you're breaking my heart over here.:razz:

Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I'm a network admin for a third party insurance benefit administration company in Escondido.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Daraniya
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Daraniya »

Is it just me, or do we all appear disgruntled in our own way. I actually left the IT field (I was a Unix Admin/web content developer) for the Government (I worked on North Island). Granted, leaving the government to work for the enemy is not the way i wanted to go, but as a tester, I don't have people crawling up in my ass to see what I have in my colon. I do my work, and if what I am working on doesn't function like the SOP says, I let the engineer know, and they either fix it, or tell me the work-around.

EDS may be the pariah of the IT world, but my job has very little stress, and I kinda like it.

Incidentally, I will be 29 when I finish my BSIT degree. Going for CCNA, or CISSP certs after this... Always wanted my CISSP. Maybe get an OpenBSD certification next, if I can find one...
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I do stuff with data that eventually causes cancer drugs to get approved. I'm not disgruntled.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
opwunder
Gritty Gunslinger

Post by opwunder »

I was with the San Diego Zoo (for 14 years) until last May when I switched over to building sets and hanging lights for Lamb's Players Theatre in Coronado.
A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="opwunder"]I was with the San Diego Zoo (for 14 years) until last May when I switched over to building sets and hanging lights for Lamb's Players Theatre in Coronado.[/quote]

Wow! Quite the career change! Congrats to getting back to what you like.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Daraniya
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Daraniya »

[quote="opwunder"]I was with the San Diego Zoo (for 14 years) until last May when I switched over to building sets and hanging lights for Lamb's Players Theatre in Coronado.[/quote]

That sounds like a great job! Creating sets and hanging lights is nice. I always loved doing the plays when I was in high school...

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Daraniya"]Is it just me, or do we all appear disgruntled in our own way.[/quote]

I'm only disgruntled because I want to do a job that actually makes a difference. The job I have now pays my bills really well, but how does convincing people to keep their TV isn't exactly fulfilling.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

I'm a mortgage loan processor for a mid-west bank. Hopefully we won't get downsized due to the housing market slowdown. I'd be a lot happier at work if we were actually busy. The day seems to just drag on and on when there is nothing to do...
lu lu lu I've got some apples
lu lu lu You've got some too
lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce
Take off our clothes and lu lu lu
--Butters

<FNORD>
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm not disgruntled by my job. Occasionally irritated and frustrated, but not disgruntled. I work in a great environment. We get free beer. w00t!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote]Is it just me, or do we [b]all[/b] appear disgruntled in our own way.[/quote]
It's you...unless you put levels into mind reading that I'm not aware of:)

I can't say I'm disgruntled...but I could be in denial. I like what I do...albeit my previous job was a lot more fun and exciting...so it's just a matter of levels in which I'm willing to experience fun and excitement I guess

I basically listen to folks and encourage those folks to make a difference in the world. I get to witness and document the differences they make, good or bad. I also fly at the seat of my pants because I some times have to put on different hats to get the job done

Daraniya
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Daraniya »

[quote="Skyman"]It's you...unless you put levels into mind reading that I'm not aware of:)

I can't say I'm disgruntled...but I could be in denial. I like what I do...albeit my previous job was a lot more fun and exciting...so it's just a matter of levels in which I'm willing to experience fun and excitement I guess

I basically listen to folks and encourage those folks to make a difference in the world. I get to witness and document the differences they make, good or bad. I also fly at the seat of my pants because I some times have to put on different hats to get the job done[/quote]

I like the job I am currently in. My old job required me to be the guy who knew all the answers. Not the case now. I love not being the goto guy. Not having all the answers appeals to me... I am only disgruntled because of the company I work for...

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I work for an online flower company doing pre-emptive customer service.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]pre-emptive customer service.

Chris[/quote]

LOL! That's really funny, Chris.

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Neuro"]LOL! That's really funny, Chris.[/quote]

Funny, but true.

My job is to find orders that didn't ship, and notify those customers before they find out on their own. I let them know that their order didn't ship, will be a day late, and give them free shipping on their next order.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

I answer phones. On the other end are mechanics. Some of these mechanics know their shit, and will say things like "I need a CV shaft for a 93 honda accord LX, vin digit U" - I'll be all like "Okay!" and look up their part, bill them, and deliver it. Other mechanics call and go "Hey, I need a... whatchacallit for this riceburner thing I have down here. You know the one I'm talking about. The blue one" - then they hang up. This results in my playing phone tag with them for the next 20 minutes, in which they manage to somehow insult my parentage, ethnicity, or general moral well-being, before huffing and going "It's a Toyota Camry". I look up the part, bill them, and deliver it. Only to find that when he said "Toyata Camry", he meant "Honda Accord". The mistake is obviously totally my fault. This results in me and my boss taking frequent smoke breaks to bitch about fucktard mechanics.

Also: y'know how San Diegans drive when it first starts raining? Portlanders drive like that all the god-damn time.

Mildly disgruntled.

Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="smartmonkey"]
Also: y'know how San Diegans drive when it first starts raining? Portlanders drive like that [b]all the god-damn time[/b].
[/quote]

Word. At first I was alarmed at the 55mph speed limits, but I was absolutely shocked when I found out that people actually drove 55.

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote="Wintermute"]Word. At first I was alarmed at the 55mph speed limits, but I was absolutely shocked when I found out that people actually drove 55.[/quote]

Seriously. People think I'm some kind of action-movie badass when I tell them I regularly hit 80 mph on the freeway. Which is funny, cos in San Diego, 80 is slow.

To Wintermute, anyways.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

When I was in Portland the few times over the summer, there were LOTS of state cops prowling the freeways, giving out tickets left and right, so that might account for at least some of the slowness. But yeah, they drive slow there. And traffic sucks too.
anika_bird
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by anika_bird »

I've worked since Feb of 98 as a software technical writer. I write the user manuals, the administrator manuals, and the online help, amongst other duties. It's a pretty cush job that combines two of my interests - the best practices of English language usage and an understanding of the technology and software that I write about.

I get to use pretty cool software tools for the writing and I get to learn all sorts of software applications - I've written about everything from manufacturing software to medical device software to Department of Defense software. Sometimes it's fun and interesting and challenging, sometimes it's a drag, depends on what I'm doing. Writing online help is especially fun, because it's like building a web site. The people are always terrific and it pays the bills.

As for what I wish I were doing, that's a whole 'nother topic!
SDSkuld
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by SDSkuld »

[quote="Daraniya"]
ME: I work for EDS on the NMCI project. I am a solutions test engineer at the facility on Hancock just behind the Sports Arena. I live in a cubicle farm... I enjoy it. Lots of downtime... I don't like NMCI, but they pay well, so I can't complain much.
[/quote]

I am so, so sorry.