Favorite Genre of RPGs

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).

What's your favorite genre?

None of the above
22%
None of the above
22%
None of the above
9%
None of the above
9%
None of the above
9%
None of the above
17%
None of the above
4%
None of the above
9%
None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 23

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I could have sworn someone did this poll already, but I couldn't find it using the search function, so...

I was curious, and just wondered what everyone's favorite genre of RPG's was.

Me, I find myself drawn more to fantasy RPG's more than anything else, though that would be closely followed by Sci-Fi.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Jake
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Jake »

I’d have to go with fantasy as well. Followed closely by modern with a twist of occult/conspiracy.
Foxbat
Cunning Rogue

Post by Foxbat »

My favorites are modern and sci-fi.

Daniel
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I picked "all of the above" because I love all of those (with the exception of Horror, but I'm even flexible on that). Though, if that choice wouldn't have been available, I would have picked Fantasy/Sci Fi. Nothing like mixing those genres.

So, you could guess that I am so diggin the Dragonstar campaign right now. :D
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

Hard to pick one. How do you rate 'Modern Horror' anyway?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I like modern settings best out of that list. But probably my favorite setting type is post-apocalypse (conspicuously missing from the list, and IMO, a different category from sci-fi).
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="mordraine"]I like modern settings best out of that list. But probably my favorite setting type is post-apocalypse (conspicuously missing from the list, and IMO, a different category from sci-fi).[/quote]

Umm...that would be "Other" :roll:

"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Cyberpunk. I love cyberpunk. I put it under 'Other'.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Mine would have to be sci fi fantasy. That is to say scifi with elements of mysticism (ie Urth of the New Sun, Fading Suns, Dune) not scifi with elves and dragons (ie Shadowrun, Dragonstar, Spelljammer).
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]Hard to pick one. How do you rate 'Modern Horror' anyway?[/quote]

I would label it as horror. Horror covers everything that has horror overtones, from CoC to Ravenloft to All Flesh must be Eaten. ;)

Chris

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="cczernia"]Mine would have to be sci fi fantasy. That is to say scifi with elements of mysticism (ie Urth of the New Sun, Fading Suns, Dune) not scifi with elves and dragons (ie Shadowrun, Dragonstar, Spelljammer).[/quote]

Science Fantasy is what I should have labeled that option on the poll. I like it myself, and I include Star Wars in there. I also include Dragonstar and Shadowrun in there, but not Spelljammer. Spelljammer is a purely fantasy setting, it just had some really fantastic methods of travel. Dragonstar, however, is a sci-fi setting that utilizes fantasy staples, such as dwarves, elves and magic.

Chris

BreakfastOfChampions

Yeah, but then when you have stuff like the Name of the Rose, which was a Medieval Mystery but was really neither. The whole genre thing gets confusing.

What the hell is 'alternative music' anyway?

:P
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]Yeah, but then when you have stuff like the Name of the Rose, which was a Medieval Mystery but was really neither. The whole genre thing gets confusing.[/quote]

Well, that would go under "other." Or Fantasy, if you want to really stretch it. ;)

Chris

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Gotetsu"][quote:51be047c28="mordraine"]I like modern settings best out of that list. But probably my favorite setting type is post-apocalypse (conspicuously missing from the list, and IMO, a different category from sci-fi).[/quote]

Umm...that would be "Other" :roll:[/quote:51be047c28]

I will NOT have my favorite genre marginalized with the moniker "Other"!!!!

:banned:

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]What the hell is 'alternative music' anyway?[/quote]

I always felt that that type of music was offered up as an "alternative" to real music. :shock:

Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

[quote="Neuro"]Cyberpunk. I love cyberpunk. I put it under 'Other'.[/quote]

Have you looked over OGL Cybernet (D20 Cyberpunk) yet?

C

~twisting reality so you do not have to~
:nutkick:
"It's like rock, paper, scissors, crippling blow to the groin. Crippling blow to the groin always seems to win."- Wintermute
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]
Spelljammer is a purely fantasy setting, it just had some really fantastic methods of travel. Dragonstar, however, is a sci-fi setting that utilizes fantasy staples, such as dwarves, elves and magic.
[/quote]

You're absolutly correct. My bad for throwing Spelljammer under Scifi fantasy.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote]Have you looked over OGL Cybernet (D20 Cyberpunk) yet? [/quote]

I really haven't. D20 is okay with me for things like D&D. I wouldn't like it -at all- for something with a lot of technology. If I were going to run a cyberpunk game these days, it'd be GURPS.

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="Neuro"] If I were going to run a cyberpunk game these days, it'd be GURPS.[/quote]

That's my girl. :)

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Jake

Post by Jake »

I wish I had my wife trained that well. I have no idea how long it would take to teach her GURPS.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Neuro"]
I really haven't. D20 is okay with me for things like D&D. I wouldn't like it -at all- for something with a lot of technology. If I were going to run a cyberpunk game these days, it'd be GURPS.[/quote]

Cyberpunk is one of the few genres I picture GURPS doing well (along with Hard Scifi ala Transhuman Space which is also kind of Cyberpunkie). However, Interlock is one of my favorite systems so there is nothing but "Cyberpunk 2020" for adventuring in the Sprawl.

BTW: Chulainn, how are the netrunning rules? Both CP2020 and Gurps did a poor job of it. I've been waiting for decent netrunning rules and since Cybernet is the newest Cyberpunk RPG I was wondering if they did anything different (or are they still using data fortresses :( )

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I picked horror, although it was hard to decide. The first RPG I played was a friend's Ravenloft Campaign. Who was the other horror vote?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Cthulhu"]I picked horror, although it was hard to decide. The first RPG I played was a friend's Ravenloft Campaign. Who was the other horror vote?[/quote]

I'm not sure but I'm sure Breakfast will (has) vote horror once he figures out what it is 8)

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Jake"]I wish I had my wife trained that well. I have no idea how long it would take to teach her GURPS.[/quote]

I winced when I read this, only cuz I know Neuro will strenuously object to being "trained"...

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Bwahahahah. It's okay, Winter puts the seat down, I play GURPS. What more could you want?

Jake

Post by Jake »

Why is that? She seeems well trained at the CoC games.
:wink:
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I'll show you well trained! Showing back up next week? (I sort of hope to know who's coming because we're at an awkward point to work people in.)

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:ae6de8be19="Cthulhu"]I picked horror, although it was hard to decide. The first RPG I played was a friend's Ravenloft Campaign. Who was the other horror vote?[/quote]

I'm not sure but I'm sure Breakfast will (has) vote horror once he figures out what it is 8)[/quote:ae6de8be19]

Pictures of Bea Arthur Naked. That's horror.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I came pretty close to actually posting a picture of Bea Arthur naked, but then I remembered we should remain family friendly.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="mordraine"]I came pretty close to actually posting a picture of Bea Arthur naked, but then I remembered we should remain family friendly.[/quote]

Ok, the fact that have one or know where to see one is scary enough. :shock:

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="mordraine"]I came pretty close to actually posting a picture of Bea Arthur naked, but then I remembered we should remain family friendly.[/quote]

You'd be responsible for the SAN loss

smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Meh. Tough choice. I marked down superheros, mostly because I've been on a mutants and masterminds / gritty supers kick for the last few months.

If I had to vote for favorite RPG of all time, it'd have to go under other: Nobilis.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Ok, the fact that have one or know where to see one is scary enough. :shock:[/quote]

It was a simple matter of typing "Bea Arthur naked" in the Google image search. I found a pretty funny one that someone pasted together, with dear ol' Bea's head on a lingerie model's body.

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Missed this thread when it was new.

Science fiction. Hands down,don't even need to think about it. Space Opera being the subgenre I've played the most. I'll be running a "hard" SF game as soon as I get my shit together. The last Trek series I ran was the best experience as a GM that I've ever had.

Science fantasy is good as long as it's done well. Fading Suns would be a good example. Anything with space elves would be a bad example. I would consider Star Wars to be space opera, there's minimal fantasy elements. The Jedi are similar to EE"Doc" Smith's Lensman,classic space opera. Not really a big deal what the classification is though, had a lot of fun playing WEG Star Wars.

And I would love to play some cyberpunk.
Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
Shin Kenshiro
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by Shin Kenshiro »

I really love Sci-Fi stuff....but only so far into the future. Jovian Chronicles and Heavy Gear seemed to have the right feel for a good Sci-Fi RPG. While HG took place WAAAAAY into the future, it didn't feel like it. Just seemed a little more high tech than JC, and both were cool settings. I was never a fan of anything Star Trek due to the massive super, dare I say, mega high tech stuff being used. Warp speed, teleportation...the ability to orbit a planet and scan it for every single human being on it when you haven't even made a single full rotation.....that really keeps me away from it all. Fantasy is great if you're not always dungeon crawling. Not much to a game if you find a job at a bar, then go deep underground and kill stuff. No room to manuever.

But far and away....I really dislike modern games. No system seems to have a good grasp of the modern world, simply for the fact that it's here and now, and you can only advance it so far before it's no longer modern. You're really just to limited by it all.
To know me is to fear me, to fear me is to be human
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

If any of us had a good grasp of the modern world we wouldn't be playing roleplaying games. :shock:
Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Shin Kenshiro"]But far and away....I really dislike modern games. No system seems to have a good grasp of the modern world, simply for the fact that it's here and now, and you can only advance it so far before it's no longer modern. You're really just to limited by it all.[/quote]

I really [i]like[/i] modern games. And there's a simple reason for that: I've got a pre-built setting!! :) If I set my game in San Diego, everyone has an immediate reference for what I'm talking about. People can relate really easily to a game set in the modern day.

As far as systems go, I'm not really sure what you mean by that. I run an Orpheus game set in modern-day San Diego, which uses the Storyteller system. Seems to handle the setting okay for us. We're not interested in advancing it...

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="mordraine"][quote:c6bca3bd60="Shin Kenshiro"]But far and away....I really dislike modern games. No system seems to have a good grasp of the modern world, simply for the fact that it's here and now, and you can only advance it so far before it's no longer modern. You're really just to limited by it all.[/quote]

I really [i]like[/i] modern games. And there's a simple reason for that: I've got a pre-built setting!! :) If I set my game in San Diego, everyone has an immediate reference for what I'm talking about. People can relate really easily to a game set in the modern day.

As far as systems go, I'm not really sure what you mean by that. I run an Orpheus game set in modern-day San Diego, which uses the Storyteller system. Seems to handle the setting okay for us. We're not interested in advancing it...[/quote:c6bca3bd60]

Word. My d20 Modern game is set in San Diego. My players, some who are familiar with California, and some who are not, enjoy it very much.

Mind you, there's a point where the setting becomes its own, like when the Dirty Bomb went off in LA. Slight change to the setting that.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]Mind you, there's a point where the setting becomes its own, like when the Dirty Bomb went off in LA. Slight change to the setting that.[/quote]

Absolutely! Which is the fun part!

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="mordraine"][quote:e219323eb8="BreakfastOfChampions"]Mind you, there's a point where the setting becomes its own, like when the Dirty Bomb went off in LA. Slight change to the setting that.[/quote]

Absolutely! Which is the fun part![/quote:e219323eb8]

Precisely! Its the familiarity mixed with the new that makes it so cool

Jake

Post by Jake »

I prefer games that happen in the background of the modern world. Vampire hunters, conspiracy, that kind of stuff. The subterfuge that’s necessary for that kind of game adds a lot.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Jake"]I prefer games that happen in the background of the modern world. Vampire hunters, conspiracy, that kind of stuff. The subterfuge that’s necessary for that kind of game adds a lot.[/quote]

Yep! The supernatural and/or the horrific and/or the super-secret, on top of the seemingly normal world.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="mordraine"][quote:fe9aeb614d="Jake"]I prefer games that happen in the background of the modern world. Vampire hunters, conspiracy, that kind of stuff. The subterfuge that’s necessary for that kind of game adds a lot.[/quote]

Yep! The supernatural and/or the horrific and/or the super-secret, on top of the seemingly normal world.[/quote:fe9aeb614d]

Ya know... the thing I love about the horror genre is that it is a genre that works just fine with any other genre. It of course works great with modern and early 19th century settings, but it even meshes well with fantasy and future settings, although the latter can sometimes get a little wonky. I have never been a big fan of cross-genre but I really like mixing horror into games. Keep in mind I consider suspense part of the horror genre... just no monsters... :)

Jonathan